It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dental implants and suboxone? I've noticed lots of people mentioning issues with tooth decay while being on suboxone so I was wondering if anyone had any issues with dental implants? I'm looking to have all of my teeth removed and getting implants but I'm a bit nervous from the issues others have discussed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:43 pm 

Hi Tina, and welcome to the forum!

There really hasn't been any evidence of tooth decay caused by Suboxone itself. It's been attributed to the prior abuse of opiates, not the Buprenorphine. It may have just taken some time to manifest itself and by then you were on Suboxone.

The only problem you will have is pain relief. My suggestion is for you to go read previous posts regarding surgery and Sub. Dr. Junig also has a blog about it so you may want to print out some pages for your dentist to read. No one wants you to feel more pain due to your opiate dependence treatment.

All of us at one time or another will have to deal with pain issues and the problem that Suboxone causes on getting relief. I've been down that road and it wasn't pretty. I now know better and it won't happen again.

I hope I was able to answer your question to a small degree. The implants should be great for you once everything is healed. Modern medicine has come so far.

Good luck on your new teeth!

rule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for the reply!

I have read so many posts from people that say suboxone has harmed their teeth so that was my main concern

I am hoping to hear from someone who had dental implants to see if they had any issues with the suboxone. Of corse they are implants and not real teeth but they are very expensive and I just want to be sure that the suboxone wouldn't ruin the implants.

Thanks again!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This will not directly address your question, but I'm mostly wondering why you would have teeth pulled and replaced with implants? Have you checked into this and spoken with a dentist? Implants will never be as good as a tooth. Their main use is to replace a broken or knocked out tooth. They are not intended to pull actual teeth and replace. Do you have a dentist suggesting or willing to do this? Typically a crown is used if existing teeth are in place - not an umpant. Something seems off here. Why is your dentist suggesting this? Or is he/she?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Suboxone injection and suboxone prefilled auto-injection device (Evzio) are used along with emergency medical treatment to reverse the life-threatening effects of a known or suspected opiate (narcotic) overdose.Suboxone injection is also used after surgery to reverse the effects of opiates given during surgery and it was suggested by Las vagus dental implants doctors,they are good prescribers and dentists.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am assuming you mean Naloxone (not Suboxone) for the auto injector. There is no place in the emergency treatment of overdose for buprenorphine. If a doctor gives naloxone as a reversing agent post surgery to some one that is on any chronic opiate they will have horrible withdrawal. Poor history followed up with even worse care.