It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and counselling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi - I've been on Sub since 12/2/08 I've gone from 20mg to 2-3mg by reducing 2mg per week. Recently my Sub Doc's office called and said to call him back about a "new policy." I called back and identified myself and a guy got on the phone and said that Dr. X will not treat me any more (no more scripts) unless I agree to counseling and group therapy, and these services must be through his clinic (the guy on the phone.) Is this legal? Can you be forced to go to a certain treatment center, and isn't there some kind of confidentiality being broken here? The services are quite expensive, and the guy was very pushy and almost rude about it. I'm probably going to hang on to what sub I have and taper down the best I can and do NA, as it is free. Thanks
phaze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would first talk to your doctor. I think your confidentiality was broken. I sue the shit out of him. I never went to counseling. It's not required to be on suboxone and have to do counseling.

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow that surprises me that your doctor is FORCING you to see a counselor that is affiliated with their clinic. Seems as though they are trying to make some more money from each patient.
As far as counseling requirements you are right that counseling is NOT required for a suboxone patient. All that is required is that each doctor who prescribes Suboxone must have access to resources for referring patients for therapy or counseling. You may want to consider switching doc's if that is possible... Good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: beyond the physical...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello...

i had a love affair with drugs that turned into me bottoming out on opiates. i lost my long-term partner, a career as a chef in NYC, most of my "friends", 15 years worth of record-collecting, and most importantly trust, self-worth, happiness, and stability. i opted to move home with my family, went through a week of horrible withdrawal, and started on suboxone. my life has changed, it will be a year in two weeks, i'm tapering down to a lower dose of the suboxone, and things are better then they've been since i took my first toke off a joint at fifteen years old.
one of the requirements of treatment was attending counseling in some form. i had already discovered narcotics anonymous, but was told that counseling is required to receive treatment so i took the "suggestion" and hit an outpatient center.
outpatient was at times very frustrating. in fact i think i learned what not to do, rather than what to do. and it took a while to be grateful for it. but now i am glad that my subox doctor sees addiction as more than just something to throw a pill at. addiction is physical, mental, and spiritual. suboxone can make me feel normal but so did oxycontin. then, when i take away the chemical, i am vulnerable again and left with my crazy self. i found that outpatient counseling, with its textbooky definitions of things and war stories and very clinical explanations took care of the mental, and that going to N.A., reaching out, asking for help, giving help, feeling love, and making friends... as well as doing a hell of a lot of work with a sponsor and working th Steps, is taking care of the deepest and most important to me: the spiritual.
i have come to see that suboxone made me feel strong again... after only a week of pure, straight detox. i was able to realign things as best as i could, get into the routine of meetings and counseling, and create a life again based on staying clean and taking care of myself.
the most important thing is that i cover all of the bases while i feel strong and sane. that way, when the balance is off and i don't know what to do, i have taken the necessary precautions, set up a safety net, and have people to save my ass when it's on fire again.

i say attend counseling and get yourself to a narcotics anonymous meeting. pretend to like it, shut up, pay attention as best you can, and if you stick it out you just might find we're not so bad, and we'll probably help save your ass if you let us. but suboxone alone is a recipe for disaster.

best of luck and be well.
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Subone alone is a recipe for disaster? Your talking out of your ass. Another fucking AA NA realigious freak. You need to review all of the Doctor tapes on youtube and learn something abvout suboxone. Recipe for disaster? What the hell are you talking about? It totally lifts the oppsession to use. You can't use anyway it will be blocked. Explain yourself fool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree with angelo212. Johnpal you said, "...you just might find we're not so bad, and we'll probably help save your ass...".
I don't think you are in a position say something so irresponsible. If such a 12-step program works for you, great. However, your assumption that because YOU find it helpful therefore makes it imperative for a successful recovery for everyone else is beyond arrogant. That type of attitude serves no purpose. Just sayin'....
Phaze, regarding mandatory counseling: Because of the many aspects of addiction (physical & psychological) many doctors make it mandatory. However, forcing you into that doctor's own program...Well, I would think that a conflict of interest, depending on the specifics. I don't think it unreasonable for you to get your counseling elsewhere. Most cities have community mental health organizations and offer services on sliding scales. Whatever you decide I wish you the very best. Keep us posted!
Melissa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxone will not work if it isnt coupled with some sort of therapy. Suboxone is no joke as far as opiate withdrawl it is significant. I tapered read up on it and it made little difference.

If you have good health insurance I would recommend what my doc gave to me. Clonidine and Zofran eased the symptoms. I have no regrets about being on suboxone as long as I was. I also take 100mg of seroquel that is the only reason why I have been sleeping at all.

Now my symptoms arent as bad because this is my second attempt quitting. I went back on it for a few days out of frustration. Because the attempts at quitting were so close together the withdrawl is significantly easier. RLS is a side effect from suboxone withdrawl that isnt talked about much. RLS is restless leg syndrome.

I used to get tremmors from heroin withdrawl but the RLS was annoying I hear that a little requip can help.... I didnt take any requip but still had symtoms of RLS due to suboxone w/d

Understand this, the longer you are on suboxone the longer your withdrawl symptoms last. The withdrawl is mild but is significant enough to make quitting difficult.

I tapered and still had withdrawl symptoms. my last dose was 1/4 of a 2mg pill... u cant get any lower then that. I havent heard of anyone not being ill from suboxone withdrawl. Hard to escape wd symptoms considering it stays in the body so long

im officially done with it... For me it took 2 days before the wd reached maximum intensity. I am almost 5 days in and still having symptoms the clonidine and zofran are helping me function but it is hard to eat. any suggestions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

where do you get off saying suboxone will not work without some form of therapy? How can you speak for the thousands that are on it? I never did anytherapy and ran dope for25 years. The only time I stoped was when I'd go to prison. suboxone takes the oppsession to use away which is addiction. Period.
Now you suffered bad withdrawls because you taper was ass. Research how to taper off suboxone right here at this site.