It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and big surgery
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys! I'm
Having breast augmentation in 3 days, on Tuesday. I started suboxone on 2mg a day 6 months ago, for the last month I've been on 1mg a day. If I quit suboxone 66 hours before my breast augmentation. Will I be okay as far as the surgery and post operation pain management? I am so nervous and scared that the suboxone will effect my surgery or effect me not feeling the pain meds that I'm prescribed.
I'm having to get these implants instead of having to get them 10 years from now when I develop breast cancer and have to get my boobs removed. My mother and fathers mothers both have breast cancer as well as my mother so I have almost a 80 percent chance of developing cancer. Anyone experience surgery while stopping suboxone or even surgery while on subs?! Any help, advice, or sharing an experience would be super helpful!!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Emily, Hi, my name is Queenie. I had an amputation of the leg. I stopped subs 1 week before surgery. My dr. put me on Oxycodone. 1 every 4-6 hrs 1 week before surgery. My pain meds woeked perfectly fine. The post surgery & for 1 month. Then when my pain went away, I waited 24-48 hrs and went back on subs with no problem.

I hope all works out for you. Ask the dr. if he could put you on opiates 1 wk.before surgery.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:03 pm 

Emily,

Look up top of this page and you'll see a Talkzone button. Click on that and search for the surgery on Suboxone paper that Dr. Junig wrote. Print it out and give copies to every doctor who will treat you.

The medical profession is just starting to understand the principles of how Buprenorphine affects our ability to not get relief from the standard dose that most patients receive. You need stronger stuff. My brother just had the same problem with a surgery, the doctor read the paper and now he is receiving proper pain meds.

If you can't find it, I'll find it and post it here. The best thing is if you can get your Dr. to log on here and do some research. Then he would understand.

I have been where you are now. Tapered to 1 mg, etc. If you are still having trouble, PM me and we'll chat.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I started taking suboxone about 3 years ago. Last October my Dr. changed the suboxone to subutex @ 16 to 24mg a day

A couple months ago I got into a pretty serious motorcycle accident. When i got to the hospital the Dr. asked me if I take any medication and I told him about the subs and how much I take. So anyways I took my sub about 2 hours before I got there and they hooked me up to the medicine dispensing thing with a button that when I press it is gives me a dose of 100mg of fentanyl.. Because of the bupe I did not feel any euphoria from the fentanyl until the next day.

When i got out of the ER 3 days later the Dr. prescribed me norco, dilaudid and percocet and they worked great by then. So 2 weeks ago I stopped taking the pills and started taking the subs again. Most people say you have to wait 2 or 3 days, but I took the sub 6 hours after my last pill I took and I had no problem with it what so ever but everyone reacts to the subs differently. From what I understand, suboxone will get you sick from injecting something because of the naloxone but taking breakthrough meds like vicodon or perks is safe to do but they wont work at first...