It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been seeing the same doctor for 2.5 years now, and take 6-8 mg per day (my previous sub doc of 6 months was closed down...another story). We have a great rapport and he's even called my scripts into the pharmacy a few times when I couldn't come in. When I first started seeing him, he asked me, "What will I find in your UA?" I told him "Suboxone and probably Ativan". He didn't bat an eyelash, and asked, "what about maijuana or coke?" I told him "absolutely not." When he got the results he said "great; thanks for being honest." Since then, I've had 3-4 UA's (and I know at least 1-2 prob showed Ativan), but he's never said a word. At my last appt he asked if I had taken a UA, and I told him no. He said "we'll do it in November". I fly frequently for work (which he knows makes me very anxious) and I'm sure he'll see Ativan in my urine (I take .5 - 1.0m 2-3x per week). For some reason I'm suddenly worried about this. I'm driving myself crazy wondering if he'll suddenly have an issue with this and either forbid further Ativan use or (worse) tell me to take a hike! He has NEVER mentioned Ativan before, but after reading some horror stories I'm obsessing over this. I should mention that my Rx for Ativan ran out about 9 months ago, and my sister has gives me some here and there. I do not drink, do not use other meds, but I'm really beating myself up over this. Any intelligent replies are most welcome. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I forgot to add: my appointment is this coming Monday (2 days away). I'm also curious if everyone's doctors test for Ativan, and if so, how big a deal do they make about it? I've heard some doctors will even write scripts for it. Finally, I'm in my 40's, and am on maintenance for underlying pain due to fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis. I have a house full of family expected for the holidays (probably why I'm so worried about this). I appreciate your input. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ativan will show up if you are being screened for benzodiazepines. Talk to your Doctor, he/she may be open to prescribing Ativan as needed for panic but the only way to find out is to have the discussion. I would mention that you had a RX that ran out and you would like to know if he/she would be willing to prescribe it along with Suboxone on an as needed basis. Taking Ativan every day one will develop a tolerance, if one is able to take the medication only a few times monthly in high-stress/panic situations it is ideal in my view. Despite individual doctors ideas and some scare tactics, there is no real contradiction related to the concurrent prescribing of both medications in individuals tolerant to one or both of the medications as the respiratory depression isn't as huge an issue as it would be if an opioid and benzodiazepine naïve individual were to take the two concurrently. Talk to your Dr and good luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Hardcore :). I was honest with him 2-1/2 years ago when he asked, and that is what I'll say if he mentions it tomorrow. About a year ago I asked for anxiety meds and he rx'd hydroclorathiazide (HCTZ). I was exhausted after taking it before a flight to DFW and was glad I didn't have to drive lol. Honesty is always the best policy, and I've come too far in my recovery to keep fretting over this. Thank you for your pragmatic advice; I needed an objective opinion. All The Best ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So relieved...doctor has no problem with the Ativan and even gave me an Rx for 10 per month. I was so anxious for nothing and my BP was sky high. Glad I took your advice and spoke with him. Whew!