It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and Anxiety...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please note that I love where suboxone has gotten me in life, and without it I would certainly be dead or in jail. I owe my life and family to this miricle of medician. If the Anxiety doesn't go away in time, it's just something I have to deal with, and thats o.k. with me.

I have been on suboxone for over 5 years and I am planning on jumping off in January. I am doing a taper, and have been for some time now.

Even before I started to taper off the Suboxone, I was having terrible anxiety. It started at about the 2nd year I was on the Sub. and has been getting a bit worse as time goes on. To my surprise, The taper has actually been taking away some of the Anxiety, and I have been feeling much more at ease in everyday situations now.

My Questions are as followed:

1. Does anyone here think that the Suboxone is causing them to experience Anxiety?

2. Do you think apon stopping the Suboxone, it will cause the anxiety to go away?

I have never experianced any type of Anxiety before the suboxone. I was always very out going and had no fear of crowds or public places. That has all changed now, I just wonder why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mr. Chuck -

I wish I could answer your questions for you.

Has anything else in your life changed that might be triggering your anxiety? Does there seem to be a pattern to the anxiety, or is it totally random? Is it social anxiety, or other kinds of anxiety too?

I think it's hard to say if it's the Suboxone causing it or something else or a combination of the Suboxone and some other factor(s).

If you are already tapering anyway and that seems to be helping the anxiety, then that's great. When you're done with the taper you'll see if the anxiety resolves itself. If not, you'll have to seek other remedies.

The way I look at it, we'll all have to face times of anxiety in our lives at some point or another, so it's good to have tools to deal with those anxious feelings. You could look into relaxation exercises or meditation or even just deep breathing as ways to manage anxiety. Some people find CBT helpful. I personally like yoga and taking long walks. Another thing that can cause anxiety is caffine, so if you have a coffee habit you might want to look at that as a potential source.

Good luck with your taper, if you need help with that please let me know. I finished 2 years of Sub treatment this past August. Take care & good luck with that anxiety.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, thanks for the responce.
I have been trying to think of what else could be causing the Axiety other then the sub, and I just cant pin point it. I mean since being prescibed the Sub, I have certainly aquired more responsability then before.
When i was using, all I cared about was drugs, and didn't worry about anything but getting them, and not going to jail.

Now, 5 years later, I'm a 28 year old father, with a wonderful Three and half year daughter. I'm engaged to be married to her mother who I love unconditionaly. I do have some stress as far as supporting them. But, we are doing o.k. finacially, and have dont have any difficulty paying our bills. I never used to worry about things, but now I'm constintly on edge about stuff. I feel as though if I'm not making $100,000 a year (which I'm not) I'm not doing my job as a husband and father. I want to start my own company, but I need to get off this suboxone first. I just don't have any drive. I mean, I know what I need to do, but doing it seems so hard. I think it may be due to the fact that my brain doesn't give that feeling of "reward" for anything I do accomplish. And hopefully after a year of so off the Sub, it will.

I feel as if I'm destin to fail, and see that the only way, I will overcome this feeling of insecurity and reluctantness to take the nessesy steps to finicial freedom, I must get off this drug.
Possibly the reason why as I taper off the Anxiety goes down, is becasue I know I'm that much closer to getting clean.

Either way, thanks for the help.
Chuck

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Much to the contrary, I find Subs not only alleviate my anxiety and it's triggers, it also helps to alleviate my depression and mood swings.

So much in fact I think it should be studied as a potential antidepressant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Mr. Chuck,

It sounds like you've discovered at least one potential source of the anxiety. Supporting a family can be challenging. You also mentioned that the anxiety is slightly alleviated every time you lessen your dose of sub. I know that being an addict can make me feel selfish at times. Everyday I wake up, I think about myself. How can I feel better. Where's my dose, how am i going to get through the day? It's part of the full time job of being an addict in recovery. Add that on top of the selfless job of being a father, and you'll surely have some mixed feelings. I don't know if that applies to you, but it's something to think about.

As for me, I never felt anxious before either. I tended to embrace social situations. I found opiates boosted my social inebriation. Soon opiates were an absolute must to do anything social. If i was in WD, i would avoid people at all costs. The anxiety became overwhelming. When suddenly, the anxiety i thought was isolated in WD's, bridged the gap into my "dosed" life. Just knowing that there was anxiety hiding beneath the warm blanked of opiates caused it to surface. And there it was. Full blown, crippling anxiety. I haven't been able to shake it, but I know part of the cause is fear. fear of being out of control of my life. worry that something may happen that would spin me into WD's, and ruin something valuable to be. The only advice i can offer is to keep trying and isolate the cause(s) of the anxiety. The more you understand where the anxiety is coming from, the easier it will be to shake it. Once it is in your conscious mind, the area of rational thought, it will be easier to rationalize it away.

Hope this helps. Keep on keepin on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Chuck,

I dont know if you still check this but we have a LOT in common. i just turned 29...have a live in girlfriend who has a kid. I'm providing for them. Been on sub 2 years and all the sudden have anxiety in my life. It's weird. I hate it. I think some of mine has to do with work and financial stuff and what not but the sub seems to do something different to me. I know the difference between life stress and physical anxiety caused by something foreign....the physical anxiety has to be coming from the subs. So I don't have an answer for you but I guess misery loves company right?

I also feel you on the job front. I have some opportunities coming up to step up in the working world but I'm worried to while on Sub. I feel like I can't always control my drive or mood and these jobs coming up would be tough to handle if I'm up and down a bit. Not quite sure hwo this site works but if there's a way to email me do it...sometiemes I think it just helps knowing someone else is in the same spot. Oh and as I've tapered the anxiety has gotten better. I'm down to .5 mg or so a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been getting bad anxiety. I have never been prone to anxiety but after starting suboxone I have constent anxiety. I have also been getting headaches. The weird thing is the higher dose I take of sub the more anxiety I seem to get. The downside of taking the smaller dose is that physically I dont feel as well.