It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone and alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this is probably frowned upon but I am looking for anyone with similar experiences. I was an alcoholic before addict and both at the same time for years. I have been on Suboxone for almost 2 years. This was not intentional but I have found that can drink moderately now from time to time and not have that that "switch' flipped that used to send me on a 2 week binge that would inevitably land me in jail, prison, or the hospital.

Post subject: Re: Suboxone and alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:45 pm 

Hi getuthere and Welcome to our forum!

Your thread disturbs me because I too am an alcoholic and an opiate addict. We may be of different drinking modes but they both destroy us. What I mean is, I drank every day and every night. There was binging inside of binging but most of the time I was drunk by noon.

Even slightly considering trying to control my drinking again is complete insanity. That you have been able to do it I have no explanation. I do notice that Suboxone in the beginning seemed to stop cravings for just about everything, including sweets, which is my current bad habit. So yes, I do think you are playing with fire. Plus the issue of your doctor. Are you taking Suboxone under the supervision of a physician? If so, then I think you are violating the contract you probably signed when first inducted. Are you seeing a Sub Dr.?

Either way, bottom line is you know that you are an alkie. So why are taking the chance of binging? May I ask how long were you sober before taking that first drink again? It was different with me. I had over 16 years of sobriety when I first took a pain pill. 10 years later and I'm still w/o a drink. Isn't being an opiate addict giving you enough pain? What, you need more? Sounds like insanity to me. But that's only my 2ยข. Maybe others will see it differently.

Once again, welcome here. Pull up a chair and start reading.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone has been known to block the euphoria from alcohol consumption, much like it blocks the high if you were to try and use opiates while taking sub. This doesn't happen for everyone but it's pretty common. I couldn't drink while on sub, not only did i not feel good, I would have negative effects. For me, sub + alcohol did not mix. I never had an alcohol problem so there were times when I would have liked to have a beer or cocktail with friends but i couldn't.. so for my entire 6 year sub treatment, I stayed away from alcohol.

I totally understand what you're talking about. Rule is right though, if you have alcohol issues, it's probably best to try to learn to live life alcohol free, in case you ever decide to get off suboxone.

I *believe* they are starting to use suboxone to treat alcoholism as an off label treatment, btw..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was really freaked out about it, and it was not an experiment I would have done normally..I was just looking for any similar instances from others

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

yup I will have to agree with you. The cravings I used to have for many things have diminished. Alcohol, sex (unfortunately), shopping. Most addictive type behavior. So yes, I see there might be something to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I feel that when I was using too much suboxone it actually made me want to drink more. Kinda like when I was high on something. I would chain smoke also. Now that I've weened down to a bare minimum of .5mg daily I'm living a somewhat normal everyday life aside from being tired in the afternoons.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have the same experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:47 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I take only 2mg of Suboxone a day and used to enjoy a beer or 2 , even 1 sip makes me feel real bad .. Used to enjoy a cigarette at break time , even 1 puff makes me feel real bad ... Had surgery , even 1 Vicodin or 1 tramadol ruins my day .... Oh well

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 pm 

Hey Painter(mike),
Really like when someone from "back in the day" comes on again and posts!!
I read the history of many that were here in 08 to 2011 when I found this place. Hope all iscwell with you..

so, ya, I lost the desire to drink completely two weeks after sub treatment started for me.

I think anybody who gets this bonus is very fortunate.

I know I am....razor...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just don't care for the effects of alcohol while on Suboxone.Head aches,problems sleeping,just nothing that great.
If I want to enjoy alcohol I have to stop Suboxone for 3 days then headaches lessen but not taking Suboxone for 3 days isn't worth a few drinks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah everytime I try to drink, I end up with a shitty headache and feel like total crap for the rest of the day. I think it interacts with the bupe and causes pain in the receptor areas or something. One time it felt like my brain was splitting in half. Anything over 3 drinks is asking for it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Suboxone is used with the "Sinclair Method" treatment for Alcoholism, Alcohol Abuse. Naltrexone, is taken 1 hour before drinking, and it changes the brain, as some have mentioned.

You can go to the Sinclair Method on the internet and read about it. There is also a forum of hundreds of other people that have used this method successfully.

Has 80% success rate for stopping abuse of alcohol.

I have done it myself and it works. After trying to stay sober for almost 30 years, have finally found something that works. I'm still using the Sinclair Method. Now I drink only for taste, and not effect because you don't get the effect.

Widely used in Europe. Medication is sold over the counter in Spain in liquor stores.

I've had no side effects and no odd feelings while drinking and taking the medication. Except I don't get the buzz.

I find it very sad not many have heard of this when so many could be helped with just a little pill.

In fact there is a movie out called "One Little Pill" that explains it all. Again, it works.