It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I've been on suboxone for 2 years and I just went to a general practitioner and got prescribed adderall. I didn't tell the general practitioner that I was on suboxone or am a recovering addict. After being on the adderall for 3 days now I have decided that I hate the way it makes me feel and didn't help me at all. I threw away the adderall. I will be clean by the next drug test my suboxone doctor gives me so I'm not worried about that. What I am
Kind of worried about is will my prescription insurance be able to communicate that I got an adderall script tou
Suboxone doctor? Also, I realize it was not honest to go to a general practitioner and not disclose that I was on suboxone or am a recovering addict. It is a mistake I do not plan on ever making again. Just wondering if My insurance company will tell my suboxone doc about this or not. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is my opinion and ONLY my opinion, but from my experience working in healthcare, you should be fine. I don't believe Adderall has any contraindications with sub, but check that out just for your own peace of mind. Also, remember that Adderall is just as addictive and in my opinion, way over prescribed. I believe the HIPPA law gives you some protection as well. Good luck, CC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I decided against the adderall, I didn't like the jittery feeling. I was just worried that my insurance company would tell my suboxone doctor that I filled an adderall script in the past. I just get so worried about losing the suboxone.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello, I'm not sure about your doc but at our clinic we check the PMP every visit. That is a state run web site (now in 49 states) that reports every controlled substance prescription that has been issued. In our patient agreement you would have agreed not to use any controlled substances. I wouldn't be so worried about the Adderall / Suboxone interaction as I would about the subterfuge. You may get away with it but be prepared for repercussions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Should I tell my suboxone doctor? I stopped taking the adderall and have all the remaining pills. There's 3 missing I believe. Or should I just not say anything? I only see him once every two months and he just calls my prescription in on the months I don't see him. I've been at this clinic for two years now. They are a methadone clinic and I was the first suboxone patient there. Part of me wants to tell him I made a mistake but part of me wants to just not say anything. What do
You think?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:52 am 

Hey MKid,
Honesty, ..ya, id be upfront with my dr.
like docm said, you could be found out, then what?
I think you have a sweet deal at your clinic, at mine its once a month, even after 4 years...

Drs dont like being lied to. Not in the addiction field.

Good luck..razor.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

To me it sounds like the only reason you went to the GP was to score a script for Adderall, which I can understand because of the side effects of Sub. You’ve been on Sub a lot longer than I. You said you’ve been on Sub two years, I’ve just gone into my 3rd month. But during that time I’ve noticed a strong lack of focus and a feeling of lethargy and mental dullness. So I get why you’d want Adderall, or ,maybe I’m completely talking out my ass because I’ve never walked in your shoes. But I can see myself doing something similar if I wanted a prescription for a drug like Adderall. I wouldn’t want to tell the GP about being on suboxone or my addictive ideations, cause I’d be afraid of being judged unfairly and not getting the prescription.

Here’s the thing, you’ve been with your Sub Dr. for two years. I’m guessing you have just started seeing the GP who prescribed you Adderall? If you’re going to continue the medical relationship with your GP and Sub Dr - then, you’ve got to be honest. Because something’s going on in your mental-state to cause you to go through all this trouble. But if you’ve made up your mind that this was all a big mistake, and that Adderall wasn’t the solution to whatever is going on in your mind. Then I guess drop it, don’t go back to that GP, don’t say anything to your sub doc, and just go back about your daily routine.

The most important thing in your life is your life, and it sucks the way our system is set up to make us feel like we’re being put under inquisition every time we seek a certain medication that improves the quality of our daily existence.

Hopefully the Adderall data on your insurance and medical records will just get lost in the wash and nothing will ever come of this. I’ve never had health insurance so don’t understand the bureaucratic nature of the beast.

Hope things turn out for you within the best possible scenario.