It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxon and nursing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Should a nurse report she's on suboxon before applying for a job in ky? Should she keep quite and hope no one finds out? Any advice greatly appreciated. Don't really know if ky is a state that allows nurses to take suboxon

Post subject: Re: Suboxon and nursing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In Minnesota you can. Employers are not allowed to ask about medical history or medications, just if you have a disability or condition that would prevent you from doing your duties or if they would need to make 'reasonable' accommodations.
I don't know about Kentucky, I think we have a couple of Blue Grass residents that may know. You could check with your nursing board, ask from an anonymous Gmail account and you may get a response.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:27 pm 

If I were in that situation I would not volunteer that information. I would also double check with a legal source like the ACLU to find out what the rules are in your state regarding employment law in this situation.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kriss, See links.

Mayo Clinic 2012 where they researched what states allow MDs and CRNAs and RNs re-entry into the workforce undergoing buprenorphine therapy. GO to table 2 and read carefully. The table is of value altho is 4+ yrs old. IGNORE the written article !! Its crap.
https://www.academia.edu/1450860/Bupren ... ontroversy

Previous to the link below, I agreed w Amy, but a recent Louisiana RN was tested for bup during her job application. I didn't think they would. I was wrong. They DID test and makes me wonder if other areas now do as well. Her story is below.
pre-employment-urine-screening-t13299.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:28 pm 

Thanks Pelican for posting that recent thread. Now I'm pissed off that she didn't get hired and am concerned about all the other RN's out there in the same predicament. What a lousy deal she got. I'd love to know how things turned out. Maybe one day she'll post back in for an update.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 am 

That really does suck. The effects of buprenorphine are no cravings, no euphoria, no impairment. Why would they fail to hire a nurse on this medication?? The only reason I can think of is giving into stigma surrounding opioid addiction.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 am 

I believe it is the stigma. All these ppl think they know everything about buprenorphine and they've never taken it. It's ridiculous. They don't see the actual benefits of it. They don't see someone like us who's lives are completely changed and look at those examples. The only thing they look at is the negativity that others are doing to make this medicine look bad. That's my opinion.

I see it all the time in my clinic. I see new ppl at an appointment and the next month I see more new ppl that's in their place because they didn't take their suboxone like they were supposed to. I'm assuming they went out and sold it or traded it. Then they get caught doing that and it does look bad. But if they looked at the lives of ppl that's truly gave it a chance, they'd better understand this medication. Everyone wants to believe the negativity and that's why I think that stigma is exactly why this nurse stuff happens. That or they just don't want to hire someone with past addiction issues.

It's frustrating.