It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Suboxone Nightmare!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys I've been on suboxone strips for 5 months, I started at 8mg but the side effects where awful, for weeks I had extreme anxiety, my stomach was flipping all day like i was on a roller coaster. Extreme insomnia, no energy and very depressed. Couldn't get joy out of anything, even my children :( but I was told it would pass and normal since I was on 60mls of methadone for 15 years. Never had any of these symptoms before Suboxen.

Well 5 months later I am still struggling with these symptoms? It's been tough riding it out hoping it get's better. When I do sleep it's restless and as soon as I open my eyes I'm in panic attack mode! I've cut myself off from friends and family, rarely leave the house. It's affecting my children and husband, the house isn't as clean as it used to be and I don't cook the way I used to (was my hobby!)

My friend gave me a few xanax, and the strangest thing happened. It gave me energy, I was happy again, could feel the suboxen working, slept like a baby. Just all round great! Wanted to take the kids out, cook again ect..... but I can't go down that road.

Anyone else relate to what I am going through? In a way it could be a blessing in disguise because If I felt comfortable I wouldn't want to come out my bubble.. which is well and truly burst atm! I started tapering today.. I'm positive but scared. I have 4 children it's such a battle :cry:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:16 pm 

Savanna, I'm sorry you are struggling.

First off, I think that the transition from methadone to suboxone is always difficult from what I've read from others who have done it. Secondly, you should have been advised to taper down to 20 to 30 mg of methadone before switching over to buprenorphine.

Thirdly, there are some people who just do much better on methadone than on buprenorphine. Just as there are people who do much better on buprenorphine than methadone. There aren't many people who just can't make the transition because buprenorphine just doesn't work well for them. It sounds like you should go back on methadone and either maintain or taper from there if you are trying to be off medications.

Additionally, since you've been on Medication Assisted Treatment for over 15 years, it may be necessary for you to stay on MAT for the rest of your life. There's no shame in that! When a medication keeps you from relapsing and overdosing, it's too beneficial to stop taking it.

If you do feel like working on getting off medications, the best thing to do is to find other ways to work on your recovery? There are support groups like SMART Recovery that can be very helpful. A good addiction counselor can be very helpful in changing destructive behavior.

Now, about Xanax. Xanax is supposed to be a short term medication, not a daily med, even though many people take it daily. The unfortunate thing about Xanax is that if you take it on a daily basis it causes rebound anxiety, which then leads to having to take a larger dose of it. This cycle only continues to drive up your use. Not helpful!!! It ends up being a drug that you're addicted to. Here is an article on this subject by Dr. Junig, the psychiatrist who made this forum.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/xanax-worse ... and-panic/

There is a ton of information on suboxonetalkzone, so please spend some time there reading about helpful subjects. There are articles about methadone there too.

It sounds like your best bet may be to get back on methadone if it was working for you. And talk to your doctor about your concerns. Perhaps there are other medications that could help that are meant for long term use.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for replying Amy. I wish i could go back on methadone, but we moved and the nearest is 2 hours away. 4 hour daily trip isnt possible, i wasnt too worried because i found a sub dr 20 mins away and had heard nothing but great reviews.

I'm certain its the blocker, im very sensitive to it. At first it felt like i was on speed, but no energy... That's been the biggest hurdle. My kids are none stop!

So my only option is to buckle up and get off it. I dont feel mentally strong enough but i am putting my faith in God, I did pray daily for him to help me get off methadone (which i loved too much) maybe this is him answering my prayers!

I dont swallow the sub because it gives me migraines but i do hold it in my mouth for 15 mins. Ive always been the same, if there are side effects i feel them all lol

Your spot on about the xanax, because i do feel even more anxious when they run out. Its just such a relief to get a break from it.

I'll keep you posted, thank you for taking tbe time to talk to me i don't have anyone close to me that understands what i'm going through <3

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:42 pm 

Well, you are always welcome here, no matter if you're on buprenorphine or not. First and foremost, we are a recovery support forum. We are here to help!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Suvanna, OMG, those are the same problems I had, and worse when I came off Methadone as well. Of corse I wasn't on Suboxone at the time. I too was on 60 mg a day, for pain. Thank goodness I didn't have to go to the Dr but 1 time a month. I think this might have MORE to do with the Methadone and LESS to do with the Suboxone. I may be wrong but... Dang, have you tried anything to help with any of the symptoms your having? What does your Dr. say when your telling him/her about these symptoms? Have you ever taken an SSRI? They helped a lot with my anxiety and depression at one time. I just hate to see someone throw in the towel so soon after going from Methadone to Suboxone. I can see It taking a little while longer, with the Methadone and you being on it 15 yrs. Suboxone is so good when it's good for that person. I wish you luck with this one. Tell your Dr. everything and work with him/her if you want to reap the benefits we do here. It has been my pain medicine, my antianxiety meds, and addiction meds. No joke. Bamagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Savanna.

I know this post is older but I was curious how things worked out for u?? My husband and my had been on Methadone for about 13 years, going to the clinic for 11, almost 12 years and I was happy. Methadone saved our lives and kept us out of jail! We went far during our MMT but the time came to make a choice. My husband is the bread winner and we have 3 girls who r into everything they can get in, basketball, softball, gymnastics, band, pitching lessons, karate, u name it. So the choice became a good job with good money and no Methadone or stay on the Methadone and unemployment. We went the Suboxone route. We were each on 140 Mg's then self tapered to 70 Mg's for a couple days, then 20 Mg's for two days, then nothing at all (truthfully there was two Norco on day 4) for SEVEN DAYS!! That was hell!! Having each other helped a whole lot but life keeps going and although I felt like death warmed over, getting up for basketball games and practices and all that really helped a lot. We started our Suboxone on Wednesday, January 11, 2017, two days ago. Induction went great and after two 2mgs strips, we both felt great! Honestly. I had a headache but was used to that. Doc wanted us to take one 8mg strip two times a day and after starting on 2mg then needing another 2mg, he suggested starting at 4mgs the next day. I did and my head felt like it was going to blow up. I felt like crap!! The next dose was only 2mgs and I could deal with that small headache because I felt better. I still had slight WDs and cold sweats and chills and stuff but can deal. I actually seem to do better right now taking one 2mg strip then a couple hours later taking another 2mg strip. It takes more than 2mg to feel better but if I take it at one time then my head POUNDS! I know everyone keeps saying that coming off from Methadone after so many years is going to take time to adjust and I believe that. A lot of people keep telling me that it's the naloxone causing the headaches and if they haven't stopped by the time we go back to Sub Doc in 2 weeks then I'll see about switching to subutex (?).

Sorry! I've already posted all this in another topic so sorry for repeating myself. Just wondering how Savanna was doing??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Sorry! I've already posted all this in another topic so sorry for repeating myself. Just wondering how Savanna was doing??

Mom,

I've been repeating myself incessantly since first coming around here :D Nobody's yelled at me yet, so it must be OK! I"m glad you're doing a bit better.

G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u Godfrey. I've been reading as much as I can on here but sometimes I just want to know what happened?? But that gets me started with my story again. Anyways. Yes I feel better. Thankful not to be weepy feeling!! I know everything else will work itself out. Addicts are all about that instant gratification and I'm no different. I guess that's actually the problem. On day one, I felt GREAT!! Even the headache wasn't near enough to stop the euphoria from not hurting from WDs. Kinda expected that to a small degree the next day. I know everyone levels off on Suboxone and I'm fine with that. We'll figure it out!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you're sure it's the blocker that's making you feel crappy, then why not try plain buprenorphine? It's much cheaper (if you're on insurance, it might not matter) - like $2 per 8mg pill.
My doctor ONLY prescribes plain buprenorphine unless someone or their insurance request otherwise. She thinks the naloxone is a scam.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'd hate to rain on your parade; but there is a chance that it could just be the bupe itself that is causing the headaches. I get headaches from it and take bupe only medication. It's just a side effect from the drug, it is not perfect. I could be wrong in your case. For me it didn't do anything switching meds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These older posts with the OP MIA always depress me a little. I wish we could find out how Savanna's making out. What a terrible position she was in.

Belaboring the obvious to say we all wish her the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hi Godfrey, I completely agree.....I really don't like it when someone shares so much, we all respond with so much care and compassion, and then we don't hear from the person!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So sorry I didnt check back in,had a lot going on..

Well things never got much better so 5 days ago I stopped taking them,I did what I have read not to do and jumped off at 4 mg, I was splitting it daily. When I was on subs I felt like I was in mild withdrawal constantly! so I just couldnt see the sense in taking something that was making me ill and affecting my family.

To be honest I dont feel that different, apart from hot and cold chills and those horrible stretchies where your body vibrates. I know It is early days so not counting my chickens before they hatch.

I have less energy which is having the most effect on me,just getting my kids ready for schoolis such an effort, then chasing around after an active toddler, house work,meals to make, homework with the kids...Its hard but not impossible!

I have my appetite back, I lost 3 stone on subs and lost all interest in anything sweet (always had a sweet tooth so that was one plus lol) Im following the Thomas recipe, but walking is out of bounds right now, I feel dead on my feet.

As they say... we are healing bit by bit <3

Edited by Amy. It's really inappropriate to call a medication that is saving so many lives a poison. If it were a poison then I would be dead, (we would all be dead) rather than feeling the best I have in years. Exaggerations are not helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 am 

Thank u for the edit Amy!

Not sure I could have read another negative comment so soon after the last ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im sorry you took it that way, the word poison can envoke thoughts of murder but for centuries doctors have been using natural poison to heal poeple, and of course it saves lives, I just dont want it in my body. All drugs are poison, look it up. I didnt mean it the way you took it x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Savanna...

I think your apology for offending unintentionally is extremely classy. I can see both sides, which is to say I can understand why you'd come to think of a medication that seems to be making you sick a kind of poison, And I can understand why the moderators were bothered by it. Typical Godfrey, splitting it right down the middle :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also think it was very rude to edit my post because you didnt agree with it. As a moderator I would assume your job is to encourage interaction, to encourage member involvement, and to encourage a sense of community within your forum.

Interfering with what people have to say in a rude way, editing out facts/opinions/information from posts is not OK. I wasnt flaming/bullying. You could have sent me a polite message that you were edited my post instead of pubicly scolding me.

You give a great example of why poor moderation can be extremely damaging to a community. Moderators should be there to primarily help members and encourage interaction – not to act as police officers! Over-zealous moderators can destroy a community and alienate members, as you have experienced yourself.

I wont be back now you have made me feel selfconcious to express my feelings. Thank you to everyone that helped me here. God bless x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

godfrey wrote:
Hi Savanna...

I think your apology for offending unintentionally is extremely classy. I can see both sides, which is to say I can understand why you'd come to think of a medication that seems to be making you sick a kind of poison, And I can understand why the moderators were bothered by it. Typical Godfrey, splitting it right down the middle :D

Thank you Godrey, all medicine is poison.. some diabetic medicine comes from snake venom. It was taken tne wrong way and handled the wrong way. Im very emotional and struggling right now.I was looking for support not a scolding x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get it Savanna. I really do. But we get so many trollish posts here it's easy to react. I thought your posts...the ones I saw anyway.... were polite and sympathetic. I empathized with your situation because it was easy to imagine what I would feel like under similar circumstances. I was very glad you came back to fill us in.

I can tell you this, that the moderators here are excellent, doing a terrific job
under often challenging circumstances. I'm not a moderator and I didn't
see what you originally wrote on the edited post, but as I said above I can
certainly see why you'd have a low opinion of suboxone.

I think one thing to keep in mind is the jump from Methadone to bupe
is notoriously difficult. Since you were feeling low grade WD symptoms
it seems the bupe just wasn't covering you. No medication is 100 percent but
for the vast majority it's a literal life saver.

My heart goes out to you in a very difficult situation, and I hope you
hang around while you go through the withdrawal process.
My suggestion would be to start a new thread, keeping a kind
of regular diary about your day to day experiences. Lots of people
have been down that road...for different reasons. I'm sorry things took a turn
but there really is a lot of support here just for the asking. .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm 

Savanna wrote:
I also think it was very rude to edit my post because you didnt agree with it. As a moderator I would assume your job is to encourage interaction, to encourage member involvement, and to encourage a sense of community within your forum.

Interfering with what people have to say in a rude way, editing out facts/opinions/information from posts is not OK. I wasnt flaming/bullying. You could have sent me a polite message that you were edited my post instead of pubicly scolding me.

You give a great example of why poor moderation can be extremely damaging to a community. Moderators should be there to primarily help members and encourage interaction – not to act as police officers! Over-zealous moderators can destroy a community and alienate members, as you have experienced yourself.

I wont be back now you have made me feel selfconcious to express my feelings. Thank you to everyone that helped me here. God bless x

You can think whatever you want. I know I'm not perfect as a moderator, but I try to be balanced. I've been moderating here for 5 years and so far our community is going strong, thriving even. My job as moderator also includes maintaining the pro-buprenorphine atmosphere that Dr. Junig set up in the beginning. None of the mods will let the word poison stand if it's stated as if it were fact, as you stated in your post. If you had said that buprenorphine is poison "in my experience" I would never have edited it.

Scientific evidence and facts are very important on this forum. If people want to be hyperbolic about some aspect of buprenorphine, they have to back it up with facts. As Dr. Junig often points out, buprenorphine is one of the very safest medications out there.

This forum is not about one person (you) alone. I have to think of the addicts who come here researching whether or not to save their lives by going on buprenorphine. If they are dissuaded from going on it because they saw a poster calling buprenorphine poison, then I have failed at my job as moderator. I have to look at the big picture while trying to be supportive to others. If someone is sensitive about what I've said, there are still four other moderators they can turn to for support. I don't mind being the bad cop sometimes, because I know my fellow mods will usually come along and be the good cop. That way we are covering all of our responsibilities. This forum is about thousands of people, not just one.

Amy