It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxe WD...Scared!
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and suboxone. I was a 120mg a day oxycodone addict. I tried many times to quit only to relapse. I had been using oxy for about 15 months. I did alot of research and decided to try Sub. Well, it has changed my life for the better. I can't believe how great i feel and the things i am accomplishing now. However, i am now a little scared of the decision i have made and worried terribly about wd from suboxone. I have been doing some reading on other forums that have horrific things to say about suboxone and how the wd from it is way more intense than any amount of oxycodone. This scares me. I am afraid of wd again. I have been taking suboxone for about 27 days. My max dose is 6mg and i have recently reduced to 4mg. I do have aftercare in place and my first counceling appointment is today. I was planning on doing suboxone for about another month until i have some aftercare under my belt. I was reading that if you stay on suboxone for more than 21 days that you will suffer wd for approx 6 weeks or more!!! Is this true? Can anyone that has been on suboxne for a couple of months at my dose tell me what they experienced as far as wd goes and how you weaned down. I need some words of encouragement here. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you may have. I don't want to stress about his...i just want to get better. I know i need to discuss with my dr. Has anyone noticed that all dr's seem to have different opinions about sub? They may have never been on suboxone. I wanted some advice from people that have experienced it first hand. Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you go digging there are lots of great threads regarding tapering and stopping sub. If you do it correctly you will be fine. Many people do not notice anything but maybe a little anxiety at the most when they finally stop sub, IF they do it the right way. You need to taper slowly. Many people even go for the liquid taper (see the sticky thread about it, it's very informative). I even know a girl who jumped off at 1mg and was fine. But like I said do it slowly. Maybe you aren't ready to come off if it yet? What do you think? Good luck and don't second guess your self. Sub has saved my life and many peoples lives, maybe even your own. You are doing great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:09 am 
Welcome jlb! I'm glad you found us. I understand your angst about all this. I don't know where this "21 day" theory came from, but I've seen it before. To me, it doesn't even make sense. You were already addicted to opiates before you started Suboxone, right? If not, you would have just walked away from the oxycodone. We all would have. It really doesn't matter much how much or even how long you took your former drug of choice. You'll always find someone whose addiction was "worse" or "not as bad" as yours was. But the fact remains....you were stuck in a cycle and could not break free. You say you did your research beforehand and decided that Suboxone might be the answer. And so far, it sounds like it's working as intended. You're making progress and that is great. You have to remember that this is a process and that your medication is only one part of that process. For me, buprenorphine has allowed me to get back to my life. To start fixing what I messed up in my active addiction. To remember what "normal" feels like. To try to figure out what led to my addiction in the first place and work on those issues. I tried to do it without Suboxone and failed....in part, because I just felt so bad all the time. I imagine that's the reason why a lot of us decided to get on Sub. That and the dread of facing acute withdrawals.
The thing is.....even with Suboxone, none of us gets a free pass. We're not just magically going to stop the bupe and not have to go through anything. Our brain, if you will, is still dependent on opiates. We're not on full agonists anymore, so it's different than that. But the fact remains that without the steady stream of opiates (whatever the flavor, bupe included) we will go into withdrawal. I suppose there will always be a controversy of which is worse....full agonists or bupe. I haven't gotten completely off bupe yet, so I cannot attest to that. I have, however, withdrawn from every other opiate (pretty much) except for heroin....and it was horrendous! I can't imagine anything worse. I have chosen not to believe all the horror stories that are out there about Suboxone withdrawal. Instead, I read about all the stories of people who have tapered slowly off Sub and had minimal trouble at all. There are plenty of them on this forum. Instead of focusing on the w/d itself, we need to focus on what happens after that. How are we going to stay off opiates in the months/years to come? To me, in order to figure all that out, I need more than a few weeks on Suboxone. I need more time to work on my recovery to make sure that I never have to do this again. I do not believe that w/d from Sub will be any worse than w/d from anything else. So far, I've been on it for 10 months, gradually tapering from about 16mg/day now down to about 1.5mg/day. My plan is to continue tapering to less than 1mg/day and then finally go off in the next few months. So far, any w/d I have had has been mild. The psychological aspects are probably a little worse than the physical. This is where all the work you'll be doing in your counselling and groups will come in. You will learn how to deal with any depression or anxiety and cravings that will come up. You will learn how to prevent relapse in the future.
If I were you, I'd stay off the sites that carry on about how horrible Suboxone w/d is. The proof that this medication works is obvious.....look at where you are now compared to a couple of months ago. Are you cured? No. Can you just stop the med with no issues? No. Is it going to be easy to stop Sub? No. But will it be awful? It certainly doesn't have to be. Another thing.....I don't know of anyone yet who has been on Sub for less than a few months or so and hasn't relapsed pretty quick. There is no quick fix. I believe it takes a minimum of 6 months to a year on Sub to work through the issues enough to even think about stopping it. Some people find that they need to plan on being on it for maintenence for the rest of their life. In your case, having had only a year and a half or so of oxycodone abuse, I would imagine that with the proper therapy and treatment and time, you could hope to successfully stop bupe at some point and try recovery without it. But you have to give it more time. Hopefully, you have a good Suboxone doctor and your treatment providers will be good and help you along the way as you move forward.
I know it's scary, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things to get better. Keep at it and let us help in any way we can. Spend all the time you can find reading all the posts on this forum. You'll find tons of invaluable information here.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi jlb!!! Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your sobriety!!! :D Setmefree posted a great comment (as usual) so I won't repeat everything that has already been said to you. Like RTLMom and setmefree, I do wonder why you have decided to come of sub after 27 days? And, would be interested, if you feel comfortable talking about it, to know more about your relapse plan.

I also thought it might ease your worries if I shared my story about getting off sub. (I'm back on now, but I'll get to that), but I was on a dose similar to yours. I started on sub in August 2009, and eventually got up to 8mg/day. I was at this dose for 2-3 weeks, then began to taper. I went down from 8mg to 4mg (going down 2mg/week) with no problems at all....in fact I felt better at lower doses. I tapered down to 1mg gong down 1mg every 7-10 days (I was using 2mg pills...so I cut them in half and sometimes in quarters). I jumped from 1mg in October....I had MILD MILD MILD w/d symptoms (stomach issues, sneezing, some muscle twitching at night, a little insomnia). I took Ambien for the insomnia and have heard that other people used clonidine to help ease other w/d symptoms. I felt better after 7-10 days....absolutely NOTHING like full agonist (percs, hydro, oxy, etc) w/d.

Two major differences that are REALLY important for you to consider:1. NONE of us ever wanted to taper off our doc...we may have been forced to at times, but we never wanted to. The fact that you are considering tapering is a testament to the difference between this drug and out doc. 2. When I withdrew from my doc, I always ended up using it again to end the symptoms (either the w/d or the PAWS), but I never felt that desperate when getting off sub. And, even if I had, I knew I could talk to my doctor and slow my taper plan. The point is, when I made taper plans on my doc, I never stuck to them and I ended up going back up to my original dose. This was not the case with sub....my taper continued and was successful.

As I said before, I am back on sub now, but this has nothing to do with physical w/d. I wasn't ready to be off sub b/c I hadn't done the work of recovery. I have a post called "my relapse off sub" on the forum if you want to read more about it. I couldn't handle the pressures of life, and I went back to what I knew to cope...pills :( .But, after several weeks of using, I called my sub doctor and got back on it in January. :) I started at 6mg and now I'm at 4mg. I have just started antidepressants and, when they start to work, I plan to go down to 2mg. I don't know what will happen at that point, and I'm NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT. :D

I know I can get off it. I have done it, many others on the site have done it....it is more than possible. I never felt this way on my doc. I would also suggest that you follow RTLMom's advice. Consider why you are tapering in the first place. And, if you decide to go ahead....go slowly, at your own pace, and take your time. Consider reading the "liquid taper method" post under "stopping sub" for ways to taper at low doses.

Good luck....update us if you have time. Also, if you want to, tell us more about yourself. And again, welcome to the forum!!

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm in the same boat, I have been taking subs for, I think it is about day 35, I have been tapering like everyone said. The anxiety is probably the worse for me. I have suffered with depression since I was 12 or so. I don't have insurance & the docs here want to only give me Lexapro(which has always worked for me when I became suicidal) but with the price off a bi-weekly or even monthly pysch visit with meds, it is too expensive. My husband also is taking suboxone, which is why money is just too tight for me to get my meds. Anyway, back to the point...I am having a hard time finding peopole who have jumped after only a few weeks of using, it gets frustrating, I am the type of person who can handle the truth, I just hate being told it "may pinch" when really it feels like being cut with a knife! I googled for days before landing on this site. Today is day 1, so far so good. I didn't want to get out of bed, but my baby was sick all night & of course hubby didn't budge, so I was up every 30 min or so. I am sure that didn't help me. I am going to GNC today as another person said & am going to get all the vitamins I can to help cleanse me. I do have about 3 weeks worth of Lexapro left over, so I am going to take the rest of it to help with the first few weeks. As a warning though, Lexapro can be a miracle when it comes to depression & anxiety( I threw cans of soup at my husbands Sgt & his wife at the commissary aka the Army grocery store) & quickly got on meds which helped the rage at the overly crowded store, but there ARE withdrawals from Lexapro. Docs deny it, but I landed in the ER with an array of problems & none of them made sense together, I googled w/d's from Lexapro & found literally hundreds of thousands of people like me, "brain zaps" are the most annoying & confusing symptom. They refer to them as "Zaps" b/c when you take each step, you feel what I can only relate to as electricity flowing from your toes to the top of your head...like a ~zap~. I just want anyone considering Lexapro to know it worked the best of all the Anxiety & depression meds I have ever taken, but if you quit, some funky things happen, but the w/d arent painful like this crap we have all been on, it is just plain weird withdrawals. Good luck & start taking some sort of anti depressant/anxiety meds before quitting, it only takes me 3 days for them to work, other it can take 2 weeks. So wean yourself accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I am so glad to have found this forum and all the educated people on this site. You are right...i am not ready to quit the suboxone, not one bit ready. This pill have saved my life. I haven't felt this good in a year. It is amazing how much better i feel, there is no more guilt, i am not worried about going to jail over my oxy addiction, i feel healthy, and happy to finally be getting the aftercare i need. I am going to do what all of you suggested and read, read, read, on this site to obtain as much information as i can. I do need to stop reading the horror stories people post on other sites about sub. It just questions the decisions i made and makes me scared. Oxy wd was horrible for me and that is why i could never stay clean. And you are right...none of us ever wanted to wean of our doc but that is different with the sub. I will keep you posted on how things go. Today i had my first counceling appt and it went very well. I felt really comfotable with my councelor and I look forward to going back. You guys have a wonderful day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

PS...the only reason i ever decided to go off the suboxone so quicky was because of a long post I read about being on sub more that 21 days and the he** you would go through if you stayed on it longer. It scared me and I thought maybe I should start weaning now. But I am going to stay on it for now until I feel comfortable enough to start weaning successfully. Right now I just need to focus on my aftercare and work on that for a while..then i can focus on weaning off the sub. Thanks again for all your responses. It really made me feel good to hear how sub has changed others life and to know others care. Jlb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jlb191 wrote:
PS...the only reason i ever decided to go off the suboxone so quicky was because of a long post I read about being on sub more that 21 days and the he** you would go through if you stayed on it longer. It scared me and I thought maybe I should start weaning now. But I am going to stay on it for now until I feel comfortable enough to start weaning successfully. Right now I just need to focus on my aftercare and work on that for a while..then i can focus on weaning off the sub. Thanks again for all your responses. It really made me feel good to hear how sub has changed others life and to know others care. Jlb

I always find this to be an interesting rationale for getting off suboxone quickly. When you think about it from a logical standpoint, it doesn't really make much sense. I can only speak for myself, but I am sure that most addicts who come to the point of needing/wanting suboxone, probably did not worry about how hard it would be to get off the drugs they were on in the first place, right? In other words, we get all strung out on oxy/percs/lortab/norco/hydro/heroin, whatever and use them for _____ amount of months or years with absolutely NO concern about how difficult it will be to stop using them.

Yet, when some of us get on Suboxone, we have to get off it right away! Don't want to get hooked!

Addicts employ some of the strangest logic sometimes.....

The suboxone gave me my life back. I was strung out on pills for years, lying cheating and stealing to get them. Suboxone stopped all of this behavior instantly. And I'd certainly rather taper off suboxone under the care of a physician than try to taper off oxycontin under the care of.....me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I , personally, would never had considered going off sub at 21 days or 61 days..or 600 days! I was simply NOT ready. It's been over 5 years and I finally feel I can trust the addict inside. I am weaned down to 1mg after 5 years of sub and my addiction to pain meds started in 2003!(probably before but my addmission was in 2003!!)
Do what you feel is right for YOU and take what anti subbers write with a grain of salt. You know what's best for your siuation. Everyone who posted here is so knowledgeable and kind..isn't it grea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Ginger,

Thanks for your post. It is great to be a part of this forum and the great people here. I am glad you are here and sharing your thoughts of sub with me. I do feel so much better since i posted yesterday and have had positive replies. I do need to do what is best for me and right now suboxone is the answer. I am not ready to stop right now or anytime soon for that matter. I definitely need to stay away from the anti-sub posters on other forums. Here i feel safe and glad i can talk about sub without feeling ashamed or hearing that i am just switching one addiction for another. This pill has saved my life and for that i am so grateful. Thanks again.

Also, does anybody know about suboxone and alcohol? My dr would not let me take any of my anti-anxiety meds or sleeping pills while on sub. I understand his concerns and stopped taking those. I do have anxiety and sleeping issues. I have been sleeping better and the anxiety is not as severe since on sub, but on an occasion i do like to have a glass of wine at night or when out with friends. I know my dr would say no, but does anybody know if it would be okay to have a couple of drinks now and again. I am not a big drinker and I don't plan on switching addictions at all, but want to know if anyone has drank anything while on suboxone? Any responses would be appreciated. jlb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Although I would NEVER advise you to drink, and you should clear it with a medical professional, I can tell you my personal experience. I do have an OCCAISIONAL glass of wine(about 1 per month) with dinner BUT I am down to 1mg of sub per day, and my Dr knows about the wine.
I do know that when I was on higer doses of sub I had NO TASTE for alcohol..at all..and I didn't expect that. I guess the nalaxone does that?(anyone)
Hope my personal experience helps you discuss thsi with your Dr.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear JLB and everybody.

A little background first. In December 2001 thru December 2002 I was on chemotherapy for Hepatitis C. The adverse side effects were so physically painful, and the emotional, psychological and intellectual side effects created the most horrifying event of my entire life. I was placed on 240mgs of methadone a day for almost 18 months, along with clonazepam and trazodone. I had been clean for almost 14 years before going on this chemo (which ultimately failed) and now I was stuck with a serious habit.

So, I began to self-detox from the methadone. It took a long time to get to to where I could switch to MS-Contin, but my doc didn't realize the methadone was a once a day drug, and the morphine was a twice a day drug, so he only wrote for once a day. I'm tellin ya, dropping 50% of my dose of methadone all at once seriously sucked, but I promised my doctor I'd give it my best, and I managed to stabilize on the morphine.

We plateau'ed for a month as that 8 weeks of full w/d's took almost all the remaining strength I had, but....the next month I started up again and eventually got myself to one 40mg OC + a 30mg standard release (both AM & PM) and was going to drop the mid-day 30 when all the sudden the "state" decided to suspend medicaid for all private pain management doctors with NO warning.

I had heard about both Suboxone and Subutex from another member of this site who has become a good friend since then.

I had to get a prescription for Subutex due to all the damage the chemo caused (the Naloxone was way too rough on all the internal organs that have been heavily deteriorated) and was stabilized at 16mg, then within 21 days dropped to 2 mg, and now I am at one mg.

OKAY! NOW I'm back on topic. The "limbic" or reptilian brain is a completely subconscious entity that "speaks" to the conscious brain all the time. However it is the most primitive of all the parts of the brain and only recognizes happy/sad, like/don't like, fight/flight and pleasure/pain. As with all creatures, we all prefer pleasure over pain, however in humans the limbic brain "whispers" to the conscious brain..."Oh, Boy! This is gonna hurt SO BAD!!!" "You, your job, your family we all NEED to feel good because <insert>" Until and unless you can learn to not listen to, or not act upon those lies, we will CREATE far worse withdrawals than actually exist!!! Psychomatically we WILL create horrible w/d's based upon that whispering little reptilian chunk of brain that can't stand any pain.

There are a number of amino acids and supplements that can REALLY help with the minor w/d's the limbi brain will try to make MAJOR w/ds. but a body is a body. The acute w/d's can be dealt with if you can keep the "end game" in sight. Your body WILL begin to produce all the neurotransmitters that allow you to feel pleasure, hope and optimism IF you give it a chance.

That's not to say relapse isn't possible because I think we can all safely say for certain that it is, it's just that 90% of how "horrible" the w/d's are is literally in your head. It's in whippin' that 10% you have to "Cowboy Up!" Aftercare, support and recovery meetings, 12-Step programs, cognitive therapy, positive affirmation, faith in a higher power and prayer all can help you minimize what you fear most happening. You must be PROACTIVE rather than REACTIVE though.

Remember the days when you would wake up sick and do whatever it took, now matter how hard, disgusting or dangerous it was to get "well?" THAT'S the same attitude you have to have to truly GET well!!! All these folks who answered your original heartfelt question have been there, done that and got the souvenir coffee mug! Take all their good advice, always check it with your doctor, and remember the most important thing of all, "This is NOT a race!"

I ain't no doctor and I ain't no drug counselor, I'm just your basic white boy who has been through a lot, and I truly hope this helps you in some small way.

Vin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Interesting post Vin! I have to say I agree with what you had to say. If I understand you correctly, the gist of it was that we tend to make w/d so much worse than it has to be.....for a variety of different reasons. I don't think you're saying that opiate withdrawal is anything less than horrendous or that anyone is somehow inventing or creating the symptoms that go along with it. It's just that we underestimate our power, or our higher power's power, or our recovery's power in getting us through to the other side. If that is essentially what you're saying.....again, I agree with you.
It sure sounds like you've been through the wringer yourself! Congratulations on all the progress you have made! I'm sorry you've been through so much with your health and your access to the proper healthcare. It does sound like you have made the proverbial lemonade from lemons, however, to the extent that has been possible!
I hope you continue to do well as you go along and I hope you'll continue to participate here! What a story you have!

Post subject: jlb and the crew
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To setmefree, I say, "Yes, exactly!"

I wrote a fairly long personal example, and as soon as I went to post it, the software or server kicked me back to a "login" screen and the whole message disappeared. I'm to tired and currently too ill to re-write it, and by tomorrow I will have forgotten it. <nah>

I just wanted to say that I think this site is great! There are some seriously informed people here, who write beautifully and are as supportive and caring as ANYONE could want.

Thank you for being here.

Vin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Vintendo56 wrote:
Dear JLB and everybody.

A little background first. In December 2001 thru December 2002 I was on chemotherapy for Hepatitis C. The adverse side effects were so physically painful, and the emotional, psychological and intellectual side effects created the most horrifying event of my entire life. I was placed on 240mgs of methadone a day for almost 18 months, along with clonazepam and trazodone. I had been clean for almost 14 years before going on this chemo (which ultimately failed) and now I was stuck with a serious habit.

heh, I have Hepatitis C, type 1, and I am facing the same treatment at some point in the next 5 years, probably. At this time, I am fortunate that my liver biopsy showed minimal damage so far, and there is a chance that I can get on some newer, better chemo that is supposed to be coming out next year. The currently available treatments, Pegasys and PegIntron only have about a 35% success rate, even lower with people my age.

As for drinking alcohol while on suboxone, I have drank a couple of beers here and there (maybe 6 beers in the last 18 months) and never had any adverse side effects from it, but I am not a doctor.

Post subject: Pegasys, and Alcohol
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there Junkie781:

About subs and alcohol, though I don't drink just because I don't drink...the "established" medical community puts warnings about subs and alcohol out exactly the same way they put the same warning for any CNS depressants. I was really surprised to find that alcohol increases the bio-availability of pretty much ALL opiates by an astonishing amount, so those warnings are definitely valid. I can't remember the exact percentages but with morphine if it was taken orally only something like 16% was actually getting into your body, but if one ounce of alcohol (two shots of 100 proof XXXXX whiskey) is taken right before or with the morphine, the bio-availability jumps WAYYY up to something like 80%!!! So you can see why they warn people.

From what I was reading at the time, the same is true for benzo's sedatives and quite a few other drugs as well. As far as the naloxone (Narcan) "blocking" the alcohol effect, it doesn't. The naloxone is simply an additional chemical designed to make taking other opioid narcotics while using Suboxone a nasty enough experience that one doesn't want to do that! For many people, pain management is necessary and usually has a euphoria associated with standard opiates, so when they find their "stable" dose of Suboxone, which has very little if any euphoria, they feel like something is "missing," and that can prompt them to try adding another narcotic to the mix.

At any rate and in either case, if it were me, I would avoid alcohol while on any type of central nervous system depressant, and I would always recommend to others that they ask their doctors about the effects of "recreational" alcohol along with the meds they are taking.

With respect to the Pegasys & Pegintron therapies, you have to be VERY careful! If you are insulin-resistant, there is NO chance of achieving Sustained Viral Response (SVR). The blood tests will show a very low to zero viral load during the tx, but it will come right back after treatment. Also, it is necessary to have a full psych evaluation because this can and will aggravate any depressive, bi-polar, anxiety or PTSD disorders by MAGNITUDES!!! And it has a number of adverse effects, in fact a whole LOT of them, and with quite a few, they can be permanent. At the time I was basically "lied into" trying to get cured I was a working journalist, and after finding the information the "specialist" gave me to be quite different from the information I was finding from sources such as the American Liver Foundation and Cancer Societies, I merely asked this specialist why what she was saying didn't match up with my research. Her response was to tell me, "Any 13-year old can make up a website." When I explained that as a journalist I had to do quite a bit of internet research (for legal purposes) before having an article published, she cut me off and said, "Well, if you don't trust my word then you don't need me as your doctor." I was immediately kicked off her patient rolls, and actually black-listed from seeing any OTHER specialist in that same clinic! It was after that I started to find that the physicians were getting huge kick backs for signing people up.

I am NOT saying that ALL of the physicians are acting in this manner, just that I know it does happen, so ALWAYS get a second or third opinion, do some research yourself, and THEN make up your mind about that particular form of chemotherapy. If you can wait, unless your doctor says you can't, I would do so. Just be very careful.

Okay, gotta run...<or> to help my folks a bit. I hope this was helpful.

Vin