It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I have a question. I developed a 50 mg hydrocodone addiction per day after having tooth gum surgery. I have had opiate problems in the past that were much more serious. For some reason I couldn't kick the hydrocodone. My doctor started me on sub on September 5th. 2 mg in the morning and 2 mg in the evening. I have taken 2 mg today and i dont want to take the other 2 mg tonight. I dont want to be on sub any longer than i have to. I havent taken the hydrocodone since September 4th. so i feel i wont go back to them. my goal now is to ween off the sub as fast as possible. Is it okay to not take that second dose tonight. i went through treatment in may for alcohol i was doing fine then the tooth thing. i have been sober for 4 months. i was only going to use it for pain. I hadnt taken opiates since 2005. I feel really bad that i got hooked that fast. Now i feel like i am a prisoner to opiates again. I am really scared please help

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:23 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Go for it , or just take 1 mg tonite and break your 2mgs tomorrow into 2-1 mg doses ...... If you have trouble sleeping ( only problem I had ) take your final dose later one at nite .... Stopping Suboxone won't kill you ...... I tried tapering down from 2 mg a million times and always threw the towel in ... If you by some chance have other depressive issues ( I have a very mild bipolar thing ) stopping Suboxone might make you wish you were dead ...... I am NOT a Dr .... Good Luck ! Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Mike Do you take sub

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rungs,

Welcome to our forum!

As painter said, you can drop your dose whenever you decide to. Suboxone isn't like benzo's or alcohol in that it is dangerous to discontinue it too quickly. The only thing you may find is that you will start to feel some WD if you drop too quickly. It's hard to say exactly how this will effect you though, since you have only been taking a small dose for a short period of time.

The main issue now, is for you to find a way to keep yourself from going back into active addiction after you discontinue the subs. It's scary how many times we see people coming here saying how they have x number of years sober, and then BAM! Right back in again. You really have to stay on top of it, and work your recovery daily. I'm surprized that you weren't a little fearful of taking the pain meds for a dental procedure so soon after going through rehab for alcohol. That is something that should have been a red flag for you going in.

On a side note...I'm going to move your thread into the dosing discussion section. Not sure how it wound up listed under international issues. You will get more responses there.

Qhorsegal2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you have had opiate problems in the past, it is no mystery you developed one again. You say you were in recovery for alcohol recently. Do you feel you were transferring your alcohol addiction to opiate? Are you thinking that you're doing the same with sub? I'm not a doctor, but it just seems like you have had a rough go at it and need a little stability to work on recovery. I would take advantage of the situation and work with your doctor on staying on sub for a bit.
I hope this is not inappropriate advice. I know it's not answering OP's question

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Minnie is soooo correct , 4 mgs will pretty much keep your receptors full , take this time to learn and understand what's going on ..... 4 mgs a day is the perfect maintenance amount ... Rungs, If I were you I would keep reading Minnie's post over and over and over ..... Yes, I've been on 2 mgs of Suboxone a day now for 4 to 5 yrs .... Like Minnie said I have developed a relationship with my psychiatrist and take it for a mild bipolar thing .... We've tried a million AD meds and they made me feel so bad , Suboxone is the only thing that helps me ... I started out on 4mgs , stayed at 4 mgs for about 2 months , then just started taking 3 and had no issues ..... Going from 3mgs a day to 2 was a mother .... I got hooked on Tramadol while waiting 4 yrs to have C6 and C7 fused ... Had the surgery and COULD NOT stop the tramadol .... It didn't start out recreational , tramadol completly controlled every part of my life, didn't like any other pain pill ( tried then all on for size ) had to be tramadol ... Got up to taking 25 - 50 mg tramadol tabs a day , it took me about 3 yrs to build up to that... Rungs, being on Suboxone for a while wont kill you , everything medical in the US is about to get so screwed up , stay where you are on Sub , if you don't want to be on 4 mgs a day stash 1 mg like we all did .. Good Luck, ( no Dr disclaimer needed this time )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the great advice and help. I went into treatment for alcohol not opiates. While i was going through treatment i developed severe tooth pain, found out tooth was cracked, had tooth pulled problem solved right wrong. took some tylenol for that because i was very reluctant to do vicodin. Next couple of days Developed more tooth problems, needed root canal. took tylenol problem solved right wrong. Lots of time went by and i am still in tooth pain. I finally cracked and took some vicodin. This started June 10th 2013 and lasted until later part of August, still on vicodin. Finally at this point finally found the last problem where the bone was pushing through the gum surgrey on the gum pain lasted 2 weeks still on vicodin. Finally tooth pain goes away I stop the vicodin and go into withdrawls. Tried to ween off made me take more. Trust me i was very upset I hadnt touched opiates since 2005. So now you kinda know the story. That is why I want to get off the suboxne so fast. I dont feel clean being on it. So tell me what you think. If I go off sub i certainly wont go back to vicodin. I want my freedom. I appreciate any help I can get. Sometimes I dont make good decisions. Do you really think staying on sub would help. I go and see my doctor tomorrow and ask him if i can go from 4 mg down to 2 mg. if you think I am moving to fast please reply and tell me what you think.
Right now I think I am feeling really scared. My head is telling me i screwed up now your on sub and you will never get off it. I just want to be completly off drugs and work toward being completely clean. I have a strong recovery plan in place going to a couple AA meetings everyday. I am also a disabled vet and I go to after care at the VA 4 times a week.
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:47 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Rungs , leave everything alone with your Dr .... Get enough Suboxone for 4mgs a day ... Start taking only 2 mgs a day , if in a week you ar happy with the way you feel throw the extra Suboxone down the toilet , no one will force you to take it .... I asked my Dr for help and he handed me my script for 1mg a day , the worst month in my life ..... I like you rungs , even more now since your a vet. Chances are real good you don't need 4mgs a day , this medication saves lives ..... Also , it takes months to get addicted to shit, it dosent happen over nite ...... Please re read my first post and Minnie's ..... We know what's it like for the brain to need endorphins and not have them , that down down down feeling, that nothing but Suboxone ( or more pain pills ) can pull you out of ..... Good Luck buddy , Mike ,Crown Point, IN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

why thank you Painter. It feels good to know I'm getting some things right!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much minnie and painter. I have decided to stick with the 4mg of sub for a while. my doctor told me to stay at that dose for another month, and then we will start to do a slow taper. He doesn't want me to quit real fast, he said this could cause me to relapse, and that is the last thing i want to do. Sounds pretty good to me. What do you think

rung

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rungsat69-

It's such a personal decision, whether to go on maintenance vs. just using suboxone to detox from our drug of choice. Most of here are (or were) on maintenance though, for the very reason that we knew we'd relapse. I knew because I had tried many times to just detox off of my DOC and I always ended up running straight back into it. So in turn, maintenance was good for me. It could very well be good for you too and that's something you'll need to feel comfortable with.

It works wonders in keeping you out of the drug using mentality; pill seeking, dosing multiple times a day, getting sick.. etc. But it is a synthetic opiate and you will have to carefully taper off it. The idea behind maintenance is that one gets enough distance from that lifestyle by the time they choose to stop maintenance. Clarity and determination usually comes with that distance, which is a good head start to keeping on the right track. It's ideal that you don't have any friends or family that uses your DOC when you do decide to stop.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi my doctor took me completely off sub 5 days ago. I was experiencing severe nausea, I came off at about 2 mg. I went from 4 to 2 in a week. After 5 days without sub I am still experiencing severe nausea is this a normal thing to be having while coming off sub I havent had many other withdrawl symptoms. Any help would be appreciated. I was only on sub for a month and i had a 50mg hydrocodone habit for three months. Im trying to figure out if the nausea problem is a seperate thing. When the doc took me off the sub he prescribed clonodine every 4 hours. I am hanging in there.

Rung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is my personal opinion/ guess that your nausea is lingering around in part from the too high dose and the long half life. I don't think it's a w/d symptom in your specific case. When overdosed on suboxone, nausea can hang around for several days. Has your nausea gotten considerably worse since stopping, or relatively the same from when you were dosing? I remember you complained of nausea while on sub as well.

If you were experiencing nausea from withdrawals, I'd expect RLS, sleeplessness, tummy issues, sneezing, skin crawlies.. etc. Nausea is usually a more severe withdrawal symptom following these earlier ones (from my experience.)

It could be a separate issue but my first guess would be the actual suboxone, considering the habit you had prior to starting. Keep an eye on it and talk to your doc if it doesn't go away or gets worse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morning, Im 8 days off sub. Clonodine has helped for the withdrawls. Still struggling with a bad case of Nausea. I hope the nausea leaves and i can return to normal. Having nausea every waking hour is a real bummer. im on my third type of nausea med still no releif. Had cat scan yesterday and everything was fine. After a while you start to feel like your going to be like this forever.
rung