It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

HI All,
Just wondering if anyone has heard/experienced anything relating the "crushing pills in teeth then painting in mouth with tongue technique" (recommended my Doc Junig) for maximizing subox absorption and dental issues? I am concerned that swishing this solution all around my mouth every day, for at least 15 mins, might be having some sort of effect on my teeth. It can't be good for the enamel!!!
Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:17 pm 

I haven't heard any negative posts regarding that method of absorption. There is an old thread here about Suboxone and tooth decay but there hasn't been any studies completed that supported any teeth problems.

You can do a search of the old threads using our search function here. I think it was titled "Does Suboxone cause tooth decay?" or something like that. If you can't find it I'll get off my lazy butt and post it for you.

My opinion is to use the films. You get better absorption from them.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have a problem with saliva. My mouth always fills up, so I end up holding the solution in my mouth for 30 minutes, three times a day. I just went to the dentist and he cannot believe the amount of cavities I have just in the past 10 months. I've been on sub about 8 months. He definitely thinks the sub is to blame and said I need to rinse my mouth out immediately after spitting the subliva out. I told him I'm not supposed to eat, drink, etc for at least 15 minutes after so whatever is left in my mouth can absorb. He asked if there was another way to take the sub and I told him no. He was very concerned. So I have started bringing my toothbrush to work and brushing my teeth after that 15 minutes is up. I take a dose right before work, and on my lunch break, so I never thought to brush then. But I'm hoping this will help, brushing 5-6 times a day. I can't quit the sub and go back to oxy. And I can't live a normal life without some kind of pain med. But I don't want to lose my teeth either! Luckily all but one of the cavities are very minor, but I suffer from anxiety (which started because of a dental procedure) so I have to be sedated to have the work done. That's happening tomorrow and I'm scared to death that the meds they gave me to take are going to interact with my sub. The dentist said to take my regular meds, but I'm definitely going to skip the klonopin. He gave me atarax, triazolam, and benadryl to take 90 mins before appointment. Not sure what time I should take my sub. I just hope that I don't go to sleep and never wake up.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 am 

Kitty, I know how scary dental work can be and I'm sorry you have to get work done tomorrow! Does your dentist not have nitrous oxide? That stuff works wonders for anxiety! I don't know the first med you listed. The second is like xanax and the benadryl is fairly benign. I have taken xanax with sub and I didn't have any problems. I'm sure you'll be OK. But good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This is a great blog posting and very useful. I really appreciate the research you put into it..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If someone has been on suboxone about 8 months, and racked up cavities in 10 months, then I would have to think that the previous lifestyle had something to with it...or is that just me?

I mean, I know when I was snorting oxycontin..I wasn't exactly the most health-conscious person on the block. But the thing is, there are studies out that show painkillers have an effect on the bone density and such of the teeth...plus the dry-mouth associated with taking pain meds is HUGE when on them...

I, for one, didn't care if my teeth were green, I smelled like week-old nasty ass, and my clothes were filthy...if I was near withdrawals or looking for my fix...I probably would have took an Oxy out of a pile of shit, rinsed it off, and snorted it up. It didn't matter. And now that people are suddenly on Suboxone and have their concern for their own well-being again...they think Suboxone is a culprit in poor dental health, hair loss, earwax build-up and many other things that are obviously related to your previous lifestyle of eating pills for a buzz, and not the current lifestyle of treating the disease that is addiction.
Let's think through it thoroughly...I know it's kinda like a distant memory once in treatment to try and remember things you did when spaced out...but I'm sure you know for a fact you didn't stand in front of a mirror and brush your teeth, comb & style your hair, and put on the smell-good for picking up ladies. I personally got to a point where I didn't even care about associating with the girl I was living with (which wasn't my wife)...and I think I slept on the couch 4 months before I put her out because I was too focused on getting high...and I didn't want her to wake up when I made midnight runs to my pill dealer...once i got into treatment, I couldn't let her stay here any longer and had to force her to leave...because I didn't want anyone then, except for my wife -- who had filed for divorce and was waiting on me to sign the papers. Lucky me, we worked it out once she saw the change that Suboxone made in my life and how different I was when I finally got cleaned up....I was the "old" me again...but I was having to find myself because i spent SO many years high that I lost track of who I was...and really didn't have an identity aside from being "that pill popper"..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jonathon-- in regards to your last post ^... (sorry to the original blogger but this isn't in response to Subs and dental care).
I was really caught up in your story and honestly can relate so much to what you were saying, I got goosebumps. I think you responded to a post of mine a few months back, bc I remember the situation you had with loosing your wife to addiction, and then being lucky enough to win her back. I love the idea of unconditional love- but so far, in my own life and relationship, I've yet to actually experience this. How incredible it must have been for the woman you love...to see the real you again, and for you to FEEL like the real you again... and I think, from a womans point of view, that to watch your man overcome such a difficult challenge, and actually choose to be better person... Well, I can't imagine anything better (or more attractive!). Back in our using days, when we were our worst selves, we may have said "I love you" to our partners, and we may have went through the motions, but deep down... it couldn't have been real. We were off in another realm of existence...living in our own hell/prison we created. How can you possibly give things like love, respect, attention, effort (in your relationship), when you're high as a kite? I don't know about you guys, but when I was in active addiction, I personally would rather be alone when getting/being high. It was like I shut out from the world around me, locked myself in my bedroom for a 2,3 day binger (and would actually be thrilled to not have to socialize or act normal when alone). I had a boyfriend, whom was there for me through ALL of it, all the way to the very cruel, bitter end. But I know I wasn't fair to him, and I wasn't being an equal.
Back to the Suboxone issue tho- The guy I'm with now (2 yrs), is just 100% against Suboxone. I mean, so much so that if they held a rally here in Key West, he'd be the first in line to protest! My question is...when you and your wife got back together, did she remain supportive and "for" Suboxone?? or did it get to a point where she/you decided it was time now to get rid of the last krutch. And...was wondering,...Are you still taking it?