It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am 39 weeks and have been on 16 mg of suboxone throughout this pregnancy, plus fioricet for migraines, my insurance wouldn't cover subutex so had to stick to suboxone films.
I am so scared! My baby will be here any day and I've read some horror stories about both meds I'm on, does sub really increase the risk of SIDS??? I am also terrified of cps even tho i have nothing to hide but my parents had to move in with us for a while they were having financial issues, and they don't know about the meds, does cps have a right to talk to them and tell them? I also am worried about respiratory depression in the baby. My docs know the meds I'm on, but a different doctor will b delivering my baby should i even tell this doctor about these meds? I know they don't test for either one but would that bite me in the ass if i don't say anything? I'm so scared and confused, any advice? I can't stand the thought of what my baby is going to endure because of me!!! Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK.

First, take a few deep breaths and try to relax a bit. Freaking out is not going to help you or your baby. I understand that you're in a stressful situation, but everything is going to be OK. Deep breaths!

It seems like what you really need is information. I will do my best to answer your questions but please remember that I'm just a person on an internet forum, I am not a medical professional. You really, really need to speak with both your Sub doctor and your OBGYN about your concerns - the sooner the better.

1. I have never heard that Suboxone increases the risk of SIDS. Heroin or opiate ABUSE during pregnancy is a risk factor for SIDS, but as far as I know MMT and buprenorphine used as prescribed are not.

2. Regarding CPS: CPS involvement seems to vary based on local policy, hospital policy, etc. Most of the moms on the forum who had CPS involvement said that it was a matter of a few interviews, an inspection to see if the home was safe, and then case closed. Other moms reported no CPS involvement at all. You can talk to the hospital where you'll be giving birth to see what their policy is - some call CPS only if the mother is suspected of drug abuse, others call if she is on opiate-replacement therapy. If you've only been taking medications that are prescribed to you, you are not going to be in trouble.

3. I don't think that CPS can disclose your medical information to your family members that are living in your home. They may need to speak to your family members though. If I were you and IF CPS does need to speak to them I would just say the interview was triggered by a prescribed medication you took during pregnancy and is just a formality. That's all anyone needs to know.

4. Yes you need to tell your OBGYN (or whoever is delivering your baby) about the meds you are on. They need to know for various reasons including possible drug interactions. Because you're on Suboxone, it is likely that your baby will be observed to see if she shows signs of NAS. You should talk to the doctors and nurses at the hospital about how they handle this. Find out if they will keep the baby in the NICU or if you can keep her with you. Let them know you want to be present when they score the baby. Get as much information as you can so you can advocate for yourself and your baby. Start by reading the birth stories here on the forum, there are several where the moms were able to really stand up for themselves and their babies.

5. Have your partner (or whoever is supporting you during the birth) get educated as well. It helps to have someone there to stick up for you. Try to remain calm even if you feel really emotional.

6. If the docs/nurses judge that your baby is showing signs of NAS, they might treat her with opiates and slowly wean her down. Read about this process so that you'll be well-informed. I don't know anything about the migraine drug you take, so read up on that one as well. And talk to your doctors!

I hope you have a great birth experience and that your baby shows little or no NAS. Some babies do and others don't, and the dose of Suboxone the mother took doesn't really seem to matter. Hopefully you will be a lucky mama, but whatever happens you should know that you did the right thing by treating your addiction.

Hopefully some of our other mamas will come give you some advice - and you keep us posted too. Do what you can to inform yourself and then try to let go and relax so you can enjoy this amazing, special time. Best of luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Right on
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Diary of a Quitter you said it all right on. It actually made me proud that you were able to wrap it all up there like you did. In fact I am printing it and giving it to my adopted daughter that is on methadone and 12 weeks pregnant. I have told her basically the same thing but not said so eloquently.
Little Momma well congrats you will have a wonderful bundle of joy in any day now and do not let cps etc…rob you of such joy. No one loses their baby for taking medications a doctor prescribed to you knowing and treating you through your pregnancy. Now if you were trying to show a script of oxycontin that was prescribed to you before you ever became pregnant, well that would be a different story. But you had a doctor monitoring you. I had a big kidney stone that was giving me a fit for the last three months of my pregnancy in 1987. Well back then I guess morphine was the preferred drug for pain and pregnancy but yes my baby showed up positive for such and cps was on my ass until my doctor got involved then it was dropped. And if you were using illicit drugs I believe the baby would be in much more jeopardy.
My sister was a freak about it when her child was born. She and her husband were alternate nights and partial night shifts with other family members the first few months of her baby’s birth for fear of SIDS. Well I can not remember what she paid but she purchased a machine that if her baby went into apnea/stopped breathing etc…an alarm went off. Otherwise I believe she was going to collapse from fear and lack of sleep. It took her a bit to trust the machine etc…they did drills on it all the time. She scared her Husband several times by setting off the alarm by removing the lead to see if it would work and/or he would wake up and respond. Holy Cow it was a mess but in the end she used it for 18 months and then when baby got a cold etc…she still used it. It was a monitor especially for SIDS. Good luck. Don’t fret all will be well and look forward to your new arrival