It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Sitting here at work on day 16 after jumping off 2mg/day. I tapered from 20mg/day to 2mg/day over a month period. I was on up to 32mg/day for over five years.............yeah, I was milking it. I will say that subox allowed me to go back to school and get my degree and I got a job that I absolutely love. However, I was at my wits end with all the doctor appointments and drug screens, I felt like I was on parole or something; it didn't help that my subox program director was commonly reffered to as the "gestapo". Anyways, I took a week and a half of vacation and decided that this was it, I'm done, no more subox. Days 1-5 weren't too bad; I think that it was still in my system due to the 32 hour half-life. Day 6 & 7 I started to feel the normal withdrawal crap; fatigue and back ache was the worst, but not nearly as bad as full opiate withdrawal. Days 8-12 were the worst; extreme fatigue and depression, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. However, not sure if I could have worked during this time. Since then, each day has gotten a slight bit better; today (day 16) being the best by far. Anyway, it can be done and it's not nearly as bad as full opiate withdrawal; it just seems that way because it's happening right now and it's hard to remember how bad full opiate withdrawal really is. I will keep updating as the days go by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your experince with us. Is there any reason you didn't taper further? Did you run out or something? I'm happy to here from someone who isn't saying they were near death for a month like I've read from others. Congrats and good luck in the next phase of your continuing recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your experince with us. Is there any reason you didn't taper further? Did you run out or something? I'm happy to here from someone who isn't saying they were near death for a month like I've read from others. Congrats and good luck in the next phase of your continuing recovery!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Maybe that explains why I caved on day seven, that is when it really starts but from what you said my dr was right 14-17 days, is what he told me, I jumped at 3mg and now I am going to try again. I took 1mg on day seven and about 1.5 yesterday. So today is day one once again for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:11 pm 
Welcome cnote! Glad to have you with us! There is lots of great support and information here!
Thank you for briefly sharing your story. You're not alone in wanting to be done with the doctors appointments, drug screens and so forth that go along with long-term Suboxone therapy. There are a few here currently who are posting their taper stories as well. It certainly seems that those who are willing/able to do a longer, more gradual taper fare the best when they stop their Suboxone. But we've had others, like you, who stopped at higher doses. Thank you for confirming what I personally believe and what Dr. Junig has always said about those who carry on and on about how much worse buprenorphine withdrawal is than anything else they've ever gone through. I remember pretty fresh how much my withdrawal from full agonists sucked......I can't imagine anything being much worse than that! Plus, the idea of tapering and quitting those drugs was never gonna happen, else we would have, right?!?! Exactly....no way! Suboxone at least gives us a chance to get our act together and have a shot at eventually being drug free.
I'm sorry you've had it rough, but it sounds like you're managing pretty well. Congratulations on all you've been able to accomplish while on Subox. Be careful going forward....the last thing you would want is to risk everything you've worked so hard for by relapsing. I think the discouraged, depressed mood, sleep disturbances and low motivation that come after the acute withdrawals are over are much more of a cause of relapse than anything else. I haven't come off Suboxone yet, but from what I understand, exercise, staying busy, good dietary and sleep habits, and a strong support system and accountability, as well as a positive attitude are critical in staying off the drugs for the long haul.
I would love it if you would keep posting your status here as you go along! Again - welcome!