It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, after all the trouble I've had sticking to the right dose, this just seems extra bad. Here's the story--I went out to a pharmacy that I've never been to before to fill a script adn get some OTC stuff too and, basically do a little shopping. I brought an empty backpack and a couple of extra empty shoulder bags with me (like duffle bags) to carry stuff home in. I also had my main little shoulder bag that I use like a purse....it's not exactly a purse though, just a nice cloth shoulder bag of purse-size, like, kind of a subtle man-purse I guess, or gender-neutral shoulder bag. And my sub was in that bag. I know, I guess I shouldn't have brought it out with me, but I've just been keeping it in that shoulder bag all the time so i always know where it is. As soem of you know, I'm living in a state of, well, I call it "displacement' and i dont' have enough room for my things and it is really ahrd to stayu organized int his small space I have here as well as the fact that i am traveling back and forth a lot between 2 places. And I have no car. Anyway, the point is, I lost my shoulder bag somehow. I think it happened in the drugstore in the hair product aisle because I really had a hard time looking at all the confusing hair products. But...my wallet was NOT in that bag. So...when I realized i didn't have that other shoulder bag, my favorite one, that I usually keep my sub in...well I looked through the entire store as best I could and then thought, well maybe I left it back at teh house. even though I know I didn't....anyway it' s NOT at the house. I called teh store and asked, but the manager coudlnt' find it. I left my name and number. my question is, do I need to report this to teh police, because of sub being a controlled substance?

As for losing my sub....well, there were about 10 or 12 pills left in that bottle. i think I can jsut call in my refill but.....now it means I'll go through my sub a bit faster than i am supposed to unless I lower my dose, which i am not sure is a good idea. My doctor and i ahve finally agreed that 4 mgs is my dose. I'm still having a little trouble sometimes sticking to 4 mgs a day, but basically I've been doing ok.

Anyway, does anyone know about the question of legality--must I report (to the police?)that I lost my sub? Or to my doctor's office? And...I dont' THINK my doctor will doubt my word....but....I'm just asking for opinions here...should i call my doctor's office and tell them or just let it slide and hope i don't have a problem if I run out a little early as a result of this loss....at 4 mgs a day, losing 10 or 12 pills is equal to....well, about one month wroth of doses so....

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you might have on this subject....Or sharing of similar experiences. Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey auto -

Sorry I didn't see this post yesterday - life's been a bit hectic lately. I'm so sorry that you lost your meds, that really sucks.

I don't know if you're legally required to report your lost/stolen pills, but here is what I think - you should file a police report just in case of the very slim chance that if someone DID steal (or find) your bag and they take the pill bottle, which would have your name on it, well if that person should happen to get caught with your bottle of Suboxone you would definitely want to be able to say that you had lost it or someone stole it, and having a police report would back you up on that count. It at the very least establishes a paper trail and helps to cover your ass.

Filing the report would probably also help backup the validity of your story if you decide to tell your doctor. You could explain what happened, say that you filed a report just in case, and let your doctor know that the loss of those pills will mean that you'll have to reduce your dose. Honestly, I think your doctor would agree to replace the pills rather than have you risk your hard-won stability at this point. Of course, you know your doctor better than I do, so you'll have to decide if it is worth telling him.

The last thing that comes to mind is that you said you could probably just call in your refill - does your Suboxone bottle have your refill listed on it? Like, if someone DID in fact take it, could they try to call in your refill and get your pills? If I was you, I would be concerned about that and would most definitely talk to your pharmacy about that. They probably have some kind of procedure in place to prevent that from happening, but better safe than sorry.

Maybe this is all overkill, but I'm kind of paranoid about these things. I had an acquaintance who stupidly sold his pain meds to someone & gave the purchaser the bottle with his name on it. So stupid, and of course it came back to bite him in the ass when that person got pulled over and caught with the prescription bottle.

I hope everything works out ok for you, I know you have worked really hard to get stable and that you've had a lot of family stuff going on. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well even with all of that. Take care and let us know how things work out.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with DOQ. I had this happen once and you need to tell the pharmacy for CERTAIN. I would also make the police report just in case. I probably wouldn't tell my doctor but who knows. I wouldn't because I wouldn't want to look like a drug addict but if I couldn't get a refill on it I wouldn't have much of a choice. It happens. I had it happen twice. Once to me and once to my husband, both times stolen from our cars. Which is scary because neither of us ever really leave anything in the car and the two times we did it was stolen. I think someone prowls the area regularly based on neighbors reports as well. Either way, I now keep it on my person because I have also been stolen from inside my home. If my purse is ever stolen, I will be screwed.

Goo luck!
Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: now what
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you guys for responding. geez it never occurred to me that someone might try to get the REFILL!!!!! well, I went to a different pharmacy, CVS, because that is where I usually go--I told them i didn't have the bottle and could they just look it up. so they did and filled my refill except they didn't have enough sub to do it--they gave me 3 pills to hold me until they get the sub in stock (tomorrow). Well, now it's a little late to file a police report, i think, especially since I'm now back at my home in a different town than where it happened. I did put up some signs "Lost Shoulder Bag" but no one has called. I guess I WILL mention it to the pharmacy, just in case. I just ordered the one refill on there...but I guess someone could try to get a "zero refill" and just see if it got authorized and...my doctor probably would authorize it. Well, thank you for reminding me that it could be a problem in that way and yeah, it's true too that if someone got stopped by the police and the police might think I had sold my script. But, as I said, I think it's a bit late to file a police report. But I WILL tell the CVS pharmacies in BOTH towns and also the Walgreens where I am pretty sure my bag was lost/stolen. You know, there's another ironic thing about this, another thing that was in the shoulder bag waas a sample of some prescription medication taht I had got when I visited the doctor (dermatologist actually) and that sample med waqs the entire reason I had gone to the dermatologist. However she also gave me a script for something else which hopefully will work at well.

But boy, what a hassle. I think I lost seom important records too (financial notes and receipts) not to mention checkbooks...I had to close both my bank accounts and open new ones. But at least I didnt' lose my wallet too, which would have been much worse.

Anyway, thanks again guys, for giving my your take on the situation. As for having to stretch out my dose...I don't know, I think I can probably do it ok, but maybe I'll call my doctor's office and tell tehm what happened anyway. I think they'll believe me and that it won't be a problem. I' could just leave my doctor a voice message in face, and tell him that it might be I'll be calling for my next refill a little sooner than we expected because of this incident.
Anwyay, thanks again you guys, I do appreciate hearing your opinions on the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Auto,

Just a quick note. You know me by now I have to say something. I'm grandmother Queenie around here.

I'm glad you were able to get at least 3 subs. One question. How could someone refill your rx with a 0 refill? Even if they called your doctor, wouldn't they question if it was really you on the phone before authorizing it. It just scares me to think someone could do that.

Thank goodness your wallet wasn't stolen. Hope now you can get back on track, get your Subs & enjoy the holidays. You deserve it after all this aggrevation.

Stay strong, love you, Queenie

Post subject: the refill thing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

To answer your question, Queenie, well, the bottle that was in my shoulder bag had 1 refill. I went the next day to the pharmacy and had them refill it for me even though I didn't have the bottle. To clarify, I also refilled my other 3 kinds of meds at the same time, so they didn't doubt it was me, but I was not asked for i.d., at least I dont' remember being asked for i.d.....But, if someone has my bottle of sub, and decides to try to refill it, well, the pharmacy would say "this requires authorization from the doctor" in fact, my pharmacy has an option on their auto-telephone refill line --"press 1 if you want us to contact your doctor for authorization." I've never been asked to verify who I am in any way when I use the phone auto-refill system, nor for that matter, at the pharmacy when I pick up my meds. However...last time I had zero refills left, my doctor refused to authorize the script because she wanted me to come in for an appointment to talk about dosage and maintenence (even though she had told me, when I',m out of refills, just call 'em in anyway and she'll authorize). So I called my doctor's office and made an appointment and then the doctor's office authorized my "zero refill." And it came with one refill on it too...So I know that's all a little convoluted, but I hope it answers your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yep, I understand now. I asked because since I am older & I get confused, especially when I am not feeling well, I want to be aware of anything that can happen to me & I don't need the aggravation beleive me, I don't have the stamina anymore. So thank you & hope nothing else happens so you can have a peaceful holiday.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i just want to let you all know that you can put an ID check request on your scripts. I actually did this for subs and when i used to be prescribed zanax because i was afraid one of my pill head friends would steal it and try to refill it. so yes at walgreens and cvs and prob most if not all other pharmacies you can add the ID check option to your account.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It sounds like you have a really good repore with your doctor and tat he wouldnt second guess the fact that your Rx really was stolen, however he needs to know that you are now without your medication, you did nothing wrong and should not have to suffer without your medication because some scumbag decided to steal something that wasnt theres, as far as making a police report my advice to you would be to absolutely report it to the police, because it is a controlled substance. Not only will they maybe be able to find it but your doctor may take you even more seriously when you tell him that you filed a police report, because people who are just making it up thatthey had thier script stolen dont go through he toruble of filing a police report because its not really true, and if the doctor eventually finds out down the road that you ran out early and you tell him it was because your pills were stolen he is less likely to beleive you because hes gonna ask well why didn you just tell me when it happened and why didnt you file a police report? you seee where im going with this. Also i dont know if you are on the pills or the films, but if you are on the films and they are barcoded you should definately go tot he police because it will make it tha much easier to find them and trace them back to you with a police report being filed. Remember you did nothing wrong so you have no reason not to be completely honest this was not your fault, you are not in active addiction anymore therefore tou no longer need to think like an active addict, and think well im just gonna have to suffer and do without you are in recovery and have earned the trust of your doctor therefore you have earned the right to be able to be honest and be believed and have your pills be replaced therefore you dont have to suffer with less oills or having to do without.