It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Sub Taper
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font] I know a super long taper isn't an option for most, but I tapered literally slower than a snail. I started 2012 on 2mg. It’s now September and my last dose was on the 5th. I assume the last month I've been in active withdrawal as I always felt crappy, legs hurt, sneezing all the time, but I was still taking my .5mg suboxone so I didn't think about it non-stop. The way my doctor detoxes his patients on Subs is with a detox cocktail. I never quit using heavy opiates because I am an addict that doesn't like pain and being uncomfortable. He uses a combo of muscle relaxers, mild benzos, and antihistamines. I feel for my personal experience this has been my saving grace.

While on suboxone for 3 years, your body doesn’t produce dopamine, serotonin and those feel good chemicals that it should be naturally. The drugs were making them for us, so now we must learn and actually make them again for ourselves. For me, it is absolutely imperative that I exercise and eat as healthy as I can. I can’t walk up the stairs let alone think about stumbling about a grocery store while kicking, but so important to be gentle with yourself through this process.

Lastly meetings, meetings, meetings. I freaking HATE meetings, but that’s just my disease wanting me away from those people so I can isolate in misery. Every meeting I share about kicking. The hell I am going through and to embrace the pain. Life isn’t ever comfortable and if it is, it means we need to focus on growth in some other area of our life. The sooner you embrace the pain, discomfort, insane emotions, the easier you’ll make it on yourself. If this was easy we wouldn’t be addicts. Reach out, tough it up, and know that this will be over momentarily. You have to distract yourself with something beneficial! Best of luck, and remember you’re not going through a minute of this alone. We’re all here right there with you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey mle, sounds like you're going to be OK! That's great! You are so right -- we are supposed to feel pain. It is part of life and everyone else has to go through it and we aren't any different. You are also right about mourning the loss of your sub friend. I have an attachment to my sub-self too. I will miss her. But... maybe we can have new friends in our heads (i know this sounds crazy but i don't mean voices or multiple personality disorder or anything... u know what i mean..). We can have a New Self. I guess after the mourning is over you can ask yourself - OK, now. Who's home? Is that you, old friend? I haven't seen you in ages, come on in! How've ya been? It's great to see you! Hey we've got a lot to catch up on. And then you can live your life as the New person that you are, but that is really your old self that was in hiding this whole time. You can say, Thank-you old self, for not leaving me. You stuck around this whole time, waiting for me to open the door... and I'm here, it's OK! I won't leave you again! And then you will be re-united and a have a good reunion.

Well, I hope that you are able to shut the door on your sub self forever. Just remember... your New Self is the best that your body could ever be. You just have to be patient and trust that it WILL come. But if you do subs or opiates, then you will shut the door on him/her and you don't want that. I hope that you are feeling back to your old self in no time!