It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub pregnancy my story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have wanted to make a post for awhile in the hope that it will help someone not go through the hell I did during my pregnancy. I have been on suboxone for years.. when I found out I was pregnant the first thing I thought was "what am I gonna do?" I started weaning down but never got completely off. I didn't have a prescription & was too terrified to tell my obgyn. I worried myself sick the entire 9 months. Every drs appointment I told myself I was going to come clean but I was just too afraid. I had to take a drug test every time I went but they didn't test for subs. I researched, read every single piece of info I could find on the subject. I read all the horror stories of babies being born on subs but also read the ones that said their baby was fine. I just knew my baby wouldn't be fine. Instead of having a happy pregnancy, it was miserable. I prepared myself for what I would tell my family in the event she was born addicted & had to be taken to the NICU.. they didn't know. No one did except my husband. I knew they would judge me and think I was a terrible mom. My husband & I spoke almost everyday about what would happen if the baby was born with something wrong even though all my tests, ultrasounds etc were all normal & everything showed a healthy baby girl. I was terrified they would take her away from me also.

At my weekly dr app. My dr said I could be induced the next week. I was committed to be completely off subs before I delivered & told him I wanted to wait & go into labor naturally. I ended up going 7 days past my due date before the dreaded dr app where he told me the baby had not grew within a week. I had to schedule an emergency induction for the next morning. I cried the whole way home blaming myself. Why couldn't I be normal? Why this why that... I sat up the whole night worried sick. I knew I had got by the whole time not telling them about me taking subs but I knew once I was admitted into the hospital they would quickly find out.plus my state just passed a law where any baby born addicted to a drug would result it a child abuse charge so I prepared myself mentally for the outcome. I knew the time had come & I had to come clean.

My husband & I talked and decided we would work through whatever the circumstances. I didn't care about going to jail or getting a charge.. I was worried about the safety of my baby & getting her taken away from me. So here we go to the hospital bright & early the next morning. I wasn't excited.. I felt numb. I felt like the kst horrible person in the world as my family surrounded me excited to see the baby.. how would I explain to them if something was wrong or when Dhs walks in to take her from me? Or they have to send her to another hospital bc she may born addicted to subs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

The time came & I was finally holding my healthy 6 lb 10 oz. baby girl. I checked her over counting fingers & toes.. making sure she was perfect & she was. I continued to hold my breath knowing something had to go wrong.. but it never did. She really was ok. 2 days later we are headed home & we watched over her carefully to wait for any wd signs but there were none. At her first check up the next week, she was still fine.

Fast track to now. I have a perfect amazing 1 year old who is the most amazing child. She was a much better baby than my oldest who was born without any meds! I count my blessings everyday knowing I'm lucky. She is talking, walking.. she was holding her head up by herself at only a week old! She has been very advanced in learning. She is always so happy. Rarely ever cries. I look back now & can't believe I worried so much. I know every person & baby is different so don't take my word as good bc everyone could have a different situation. I recently started seeing a sub dr who is also a psychiatrist and I told him the story. He said all of his patients who have been pregnant on subs have all had healthy babies. Yes maybe I could have made things easier just coming clean but i think what could have happened if I had.. I couldn't imagine my life without her. Yes I made some crappy decisions & yes I was stupid but I was prepared to take the full blame if anything did happen or was wrong with her. I was never once worried about myself, just her. My dr said maybe since I was on such a low dose that may have been the reason for no wd were present. I was taking less than 2 mg a day. I know not every story has a happy ending & some people do have horrible experiences but I just hope maybe I can help even one person who is worried about their baby or doesn't know what to do in the same situation. But please don't think I am telling anyone not to talk to your obgyn or anything. I was too much of a coward to come clean. If I could do things over would I? Well I would have been off them ASAP if finding out I was pregnant. That's what I would do different. I know there isn't a whole lot of research out there & most are horror stories but not all of them are. I have been blessed with an amazing child who has never been seriously sick (except for a small case of RSV at 6 months). No food allergies, no health or development problems. If anything she is a little overweight according to her pediatrician but to me that isn't s big deal. Her being a little chunky just means she's healthy! :-) She has slept through the night since she was a month old.. even my totally normal oldest child was not this easy! lol she didn't sleep through the night until she was like 3 years old & here I have a 1 month old who by most accounts should be withering in pain from wds and she's perfectly healthy!

So.. to anyone in the situation: if u do not have a script my advice would be to get an appointment ASAP so you can bypass all the worry.. if you do have a script then you should be able rest easy. If you think your dose is too high, slowly taper. I went from taking 8 mgs a day down to not even 2 by the end of the pregnancy. I sat in the hospital happy to wd as long as my baby wasn't. One of my friends did everything right in her pregnancy. She had a script, was taking 2 8 mgs a day & her baby was in the NICU for 3 days under observation. The baby was fine except for some small signs of wd like sneezing and trouble sleeping. She couldn't believe my baby was ok but then again, dosage may play a role in that. So I hope I can inspire any one going through the same problem to know that your baby can be ok!! Maybe I was just lucky..I don't know but I thank God everyday when I wake up to that smiling face.

God bless!