It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lately my lower back and sciatica has been acting up really bad even with my sub ( sub not cutting it with the pain) This is giving me a craving because i'm in pain. (hence my previous perc habit) i have a young son and we walk a lot with stroller and i work in my garden, anyway I don't feel like i'm about to relapse at all but i hurt and i need relief, my sub doc always says take naproxen but that doesnt always work. I'm bummed out i was limping today. I don't mean to be vain but hell i don't want to to look pre-baby and barely be 30 and walking like i'm 80 somedays. Is there any alternatives for pain, other than physical therapy. Is there some way to stop the pain for being A TRIGGER FOR CRAVINGS! sorry to rant but for those who have pain issues (or not) any advice please, i'm really bummed out tonight and hurting !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get the same kind of pain. . .
these sharp pains that run all the way down my legs into the back of my ankles. The days that its worse is when I have to work in the shop all day (rather than on the site) and Im standing on the concrete floor. Thats what I had to do today, and Im paying for it.
Ive noticed if Im still too long (like my drive home) then it gets worse, cuz I tense up.

So, I use a heating pad in the evening, sometimes a hot bath helps too.
I also bought a REALLY good pair of shoes, that helped tremendously in the begining, when my back was hurting like every day!!! You wouldnt believe how much something like shoes makes a diference.

Anyways, and naproxen doesnt work for me, but Motrin works better, 800mg at a time though. just taking 200-400 does absolutely nothing. the doctor told me I can take 800mg 3x's a day. (you may wana check and see what your doctor says)
and when that doesnt work I add a tylenol or two to it.

Usually that helps alot. and some stretches.
I know its alota work. But its much better than chasing down pills day after day.

Like I said, mine only 'flairs up' maybe once a week or so, most of the time the motrin/tylenol/ heating pad works great.

They also sell these heat patches, like at walgreens. theyre kinda spendy, but worth the $ if it helps you. It def helps with me sometimes. I wear them to bed when I STILL hurt at night.

HOPE I helped.
stay strong!!!
I have a 3 yr old lil boy, and the first thing he says when I get in the door is "mama's home, time to PLAY"
so I totally feel your pain

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A few years ago, this form of therapy called mindfulness meditation broke into mainstream medicine and had promising results for pain management. It requires a degree of discipline to practice, but offers the chance to detach / disassociate ones self from the pain.

Jon Kabat Zinn was at the forefront of mindfulness. I used to read his books and practice mindfulness to help with my bipolar, and it did really help. I ended up lending the books and cd's to someone who was struggling a lot, and they someone got scattered across his chaotic life. Maybe I should start again? (mañana)

http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/book-reviews/mindfulness-for-pain-relief-guided-practices-for-reclaiming-your-body-and-your-life-by-jon-kabat-zinn

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ mentioned mindfulness and I was going to mention self hypnosis/guided imagery. They can be very similar. Under the Chronic Pain section of the forum there should be a sticky covering this topic. I created the thread and made it very specific. I never bought that meditation could help...but it can, especially when you have nothing left. Check it out.

Also, there are things like TENS units, that PT can explain to you. Why not explore the PT avenues? You could also look for a new pain doctor that DOESN'T use pain meds in her/his attempts to treat you.

There are various non-medication ways to try to treat pain. I'm also a chronic pain patient and I guess I'm lucky that sub helps my pain to a degree. I also use muscle relaxants and lidocaine patches (they help more than I ever thought they could!).

Maybe it's time to consult another doctor? Good luck and I hope you find some relief.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks everyone!
@ amber you hit the nail on the head, with sciatica a lot of people who never had it do not understand how damn painful it can be, when i was pregnant it was so bad i had to go on work leave early because it would get so bad i would lay on the couch moaning in pain i couldn't even walk.. somedays i couldnt make it upstairs to the bathroom... nothing like peeing in a bucket in your livingroom.. lol sorry tmi . since i had my baby it got a little better but if i move the wrong way or do lots of bending/crouching it flairs up, and thank you for all the advice, i tried heat but as much as i hate cold the ice seem to help with the swelling, i do nsaids which sometimes help.
@ tear , thank you, i am very open to alternative treatments, and i have read about the reason people have different pain thresholds have a lot to do in the mind! i will check it out.
@ hat, i have done physical therapy, i do stretch and do what techniques they showed me, i guess i worded that wrong, meant other options along with physical therapy. i know you have bad chronic pain issues, The sub does help my pain as well to the point especially my back pain, but when mt hip flairs up the sub wont help. My sub doc gave me a steroid to take for it but gives me anxiety which sucks because i have panic disorder. i will have to try the hot/cold patches and lidocaine ones.. thanks
I did take a tramadol... i know bad me, but my mom gave me one. i never abused any other meds than the percocet , thats why i can take my benzos by my sub doc because i take a low dose and do so correctly. the tramadol has helped. i'm going to ask my sub doc about it and see what he thinks, not for everyday use just on days like yesterday. But the good thing is i didn't go crazy and try and take any pain pills (not that it would have done anything) but i am trying to learn that pain medication is not what i will need in the long run, i need to get my body strong and healthy as i can, since this is all from a terrible car wreck hopefully i will be able to mange my pain better as the years pass, i did talk to my therapist about pain and my post sub life and she said now is a good time to start talking to my sub doc about a plan for my pain after i'm off sub... sorry so long but thank you... your replies cheered me up a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

HB,

Sorry to hear you're in pain- I don't know anything about sciatica but I can imagine it's pretty painful.. What about on the days when it's really acting up you take a little extra suboxone? I know Hatmaker and others on the forum take it for pain as well as addiction.. Is that an option you might consider trying- or at least talking to your dr abour?

Hope you feel better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

HEY groove how have you been? i haven't had a chance to talk to you since that guy went (excuse my french) apeshit on us on your intro thread lol... Anyway... i did try once to take a little extra for the pain but it didnt really do much. tramadol works but my mom gave me 2 and i'm not going to take anymore until i ask my sub doc if it's ok or give me a script. He does know about my pain issues and gave me prednisone (not sure of spelling there) but steroids tend to give me panic attacks so i hate taking them.
best way i can describe it is it's irritation of the sciatic nerve which is your largest nerve in your body that starts in the very lower back but runs down your legs.usually an injury or disk issue will press on the nerve and cause the pain. the pain will hit my bum cheek (right side) and go down the back of my leg to my knee usually, when it flairs up or pinches it makes it hard to walk bend ect. it can be very painful sometimes worse than others, of course my sons bday party was sun, and yesterday i did a bunch of garden stuff and digging. so i over did it and now paying for it. it will ease up but it comes back, i think i mentioned early the sub works wonders for my back pain but won't do much for sciatica issue. thanks for asking how i am.. hope all is well.. watch out for those heated debates ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LOL I walked away from the debate as soon as I saw I was about to be drug into a a battle of wits with an unarmed person.. Sometimes ya gotta give up the last word in exchange for a whole lotta wasted time- time that we can never get back.. :-)

My experience with subs for pain has been less than stellar but I thought I'd throw it out there since others have had success with it..For ME (that's key, lol) subs have been pretty ineffective on pain.. I asked my dr what I could take and of course the first thing he said was naproxen. I have an issue with my hands that while I won't go as far as to say is chronic, it's fairly regular and naproxen doesn't really work.. My wife's a nurse and she always brings home tramadol for one of our dogs that has arthritis.. I asked my sub dr about it and he said if I didn't have an issue with it in the past he said it was OK.. Until I visited this forum and saw how people struggle with it I never even knew that it was addicting.. shows you how much I know..

So according to my sub doc tramadol is OK but I'm curious to see what yours says because I've questioned a couple minor things my dr has told me in the past..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

very true! that guy seem to harass a lot of others here,,, as far as the tramadol i didn't know it was a med that was abused/addicting until recently either!
i should take that advice about "giving up the chance to get the last word in" when i fight with the boyfriend ;) lol
hope everything else is going well for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

he's just a kid.. Teenagers- ya gotta love em.. He's harmless..

Speaking of kids - how'd the party go? Baby's are GREAT.. We have my little granddaughter here several times per week and it's the best..I'm sure you're loving it.. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

@ groove. long time no see!
the party was great my son destroyed his smash cake and when i ask him to Feed mommy" he took a huge piece and it went all over my face lol. it was a nice time and he definitely enjoyed the attention from everyone, weather was good, great day for a picnic party! thanks for asking. hope all is well