It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys....here's my situation and advice is greatly appreciated and NEEDED.

Not gonna go in to how great Sub is or isnt and all that...blah blah blah. If we take it, and were HERE, it has helped
us in some ways.

I'm a "newbie" myself. I understand how some people take it for years and need to...and honeslty, that may
have to be me, since I've been in the ride for over 6yrs of pk's....BUT, while this treatment works, I want to try
to stop in before i'm too far into the sub as well....I mean, once you start taking it for 2-3mos and more, then you can
never know what it would have been like to stop after only 2-3 WEEKS instead....unless you tried before and failed.

So, this treatment is EXPENSIVE. I honestly cant afford the $400-500 month. I had a nice family situation before...but now
that's all gone. So, here I am, a single parent now on my OWN....I purposely tried to "max out" my expenses so I would
FORCE myself into using my money towards bills and my child and not be TEMPTED to spend on drugs. SO, I have a one month supply of Subs.....I want to ween down and be done w/ in the next few weeks....and see what happens.

Any advice on the best route? I'm down from 16mgs - 8mgs - 4mgs - a day off - 4mgs....etc...I'm hoping to go a day or two til I'm uncomfortable and take a 2mg later in the evening so I can sleep....and then try that for a few days
and then try to "ride it out"....I'm a realist, I've f'd my body up for yrs, and I'm not gonna get out of this
pain free....I expect some WD's....but, since this is my plan....let me know if this sounds appropriate or any other
advice/experiences you guys have to share. THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's my relevant experience.

About six months into my Suboxone treatment, I stumbled upon some very anti-Suboxone message boards that had very scary stories about how evil Sub is and how it "turns on you" after a while and how withdrawing from it is a special kind of hell.

At the same time, I was ending the "honeymoon" phase of Sub treatment and was experiencing some problems with depression and low energy. I thought this must be the dreaded "turning" of the Suboxone, where it stops working it's magic and starts making life miserable.

So I tried to rapidly taper off. I was taking 4mgs at the time, if I recall correctly, and I thought I could be done within a few weeks. I tapered down to 2mgs with no problem, then 1mg for a few days, then I stopped.

I got pretty sick after about 3 days of no Suboxone. I felt way worse than I had when I was still taking it, so I started taking it again at the lower dose. I talked to my doctor and got treatment for my depression. I've stayed on Sub and continued to work on my recovery.

There are programs to help people afford Sub treatment. Reckitt has a needy-meds program, and pharmacies have discount cards. I started treatment as part of a research study because that was the only way I could afford it. Medicaid pays for Sub in some states. Yes, Suboxone treatment can be expensive, but when you think about how hard it is to stay off opiates and how much easier Sub makes it, it's worth it, in my opinion. You said you tried to max out your expenses so you won't be tempted to spend on drugs...that indicates how hard it really is to quit.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate your advice and time taken to reply to my situation....

I have an appointment next week to see how I'm doing....hopefully, since this isnt a regular monthly appt, doc will
write me another script since my first appt was just for the induction process....I can handle getting the script
this time....but another 2 weeks and I cant afford the $400 ($200 plus $195 for the meds).....do you know if Docs
will write a smaller script or 2 scripts broken up if I tell him I cant afford to get the whole month's worth at one shot??
I'm also gonna try to look into the Medicaid....my work offers health insurance....but since Sub docs are mostly cash, it would only cover the scripts....and it cost $65 a WEEK just for INSURANCE thru my job!! Which is about the same as the scripts anyway....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know sometimes the pharmacy will let you buy half of your prescription and then come back for the other half. You could call around and find out.

Can you talk to your doctor about possibly working out a payment arrangement with you? Or you could try to find a different doctor that does sliding scale fees. My sub doc is a psychiatrist who is part of a nonprofit counseling center. Not a government clinic, but non-profit and takes medicaid. Many of these types of practices do sliding-scale based on income.

The county/public hospital in your area might have an addiction treatment program that uses Sub - that was an option I looked into here.

Maybe your community mental health clinic can help steer you in the right direction?

I really recommend the doctor-patient matching service at Naabt.org. They found my friend a doctor who did the needy meds program, and he only charges her $50/month.

You could call your local methadone clinic for a referral too - I know the ones here are doing Sub treatment now too, and some of them are nonprofits so they have lower fees.

$200 every two weeks is criminal. Really. Especially since the doc probably sees you for like 10 minutes.

I'm a big fan of just calling everyone I can think of that might help and asking. Sometimes people will be rude and say no but most of the time people are helpful. When I was looking for a doc I even asked if they did maintenance or just tapering - just so I would be sure what I was getting into.

I really hope things work out for you. Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield