It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub Newbie: 4days in :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So happy and relieved to have found this site! After days of research and web surfing I have finally found a forum that focuses on recovery instead of encouraging drug use! I have fought a long and exhausting battle with opiates. I married a wonderful man 7 months ago. It breaks my heart to admit that I introduced him to opiates, and we spiraled downhill very rapidly. Our new marraige became all about Roxy and Opana and together we were using frightening amounts daily. Six months of this addiction nearly destroyed us and we made the choice to get clean together. Last week my husband entered a week long detox program and was given Suboxone. His starting dose was 4mg twice a day for the first 3days then 2msg twice a day for 2 days then nothing for the remaining 2 days. He did wonderful! Feels and looks great and other than some anxiety has felt fine. I opted to follow the same dosing schedule at home and am 4days in. I needed a bit more to start(heavier user?) So 1st 3 days was on 10mg, then down to 6.25 today. I'm having A LOT more anxiety also moody, irritable. Cravings persisted first couple days but some better now. I keep waiting to feel as good as he does but I'm anxious about stopping Sub. I only have 1 4mg strip left what is the best way to taper off from here? Don't want to feel any WD and DEF DO NOT WANT TO USE!! First NA meeting tomorrow sorry so long and rambling but I am desperate to do this right! I want my life back!! Any advice please?(Subling strips btw)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:05 pm 

First of all, welcome to the forum! I want you to know where most of us stand on this forum. Most of us have been through some sort of sub maintenance, more than just to detox off our drug of choice. Maintenance has allowed us to get our shit together and improve our relationships, financial situation, etc. So we're not anti-maintenance here, but we try to meet people where they are.

Some of us stay on sub for years or indefinitely, knowing that they would relapse without the sub. There are plenty here who get support when they want to taper and try life without sub. The statistics are daunting and we almost always ask people looking to get off sub what they will be doing for their recovery when they are off sub. But, yes, we have offered plenty of support to people tapering off sub. What we don't tolerate is a member arguing for other people to change what they are doing for recovery. What works for one person might not work for another. We also don't allow members to make outrageous claims about suboxone being evil, etc. Suboxone is not for everyone, but it works for a lot of us.

With all of that being said, if you are able to get to that NA meeting and start working a program, then those with experience in that area will try to help you on your path. That's not my area of expertise, but you should receive other replies soon.

Take care and good luck with your taper.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy! I have definitely wondered if maintenance would be a better option for me due to my long term use, and I am fully open to that route as well. I am willing at this point to do whatever it takes to ensure my recovery and I greatly appreciate your input! Ill keep posting my journey...No giving up that's for sure! Thanks again! :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mind

I am brand new to suboxone....after several years of a sky high oxy habit i researched my options after failing one taper after another & decided on sub. I could taper just not get to zero LOL Honestly it just sucked, i was sick of the cycle. I am of the mindset that i will give myself two weeks on sub & then re-evaluate how i feel & go on from there. I have NOT had an easy transition. If you want you can read my thread which is "started sub Sunday". I didn't feel well when everyone else was saying they felt fine after the first day. In my case i was feeling the pain from kidney stones not the sub transition! Could you have an underlying health issue? Even pregnancy? Can you get more sub or go to the place your BF went?
I wish I had done this a couple of years ago. No going back for me because i didn't like who i became.

Just wanted to welcome you & offer support! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MC,

I'm just wondering what your status is with your treatment. Are you under the care of a doctor? If so, are they hell bent on you using suboxone as a detox only? From reading your post, it seems as if you aren't under a doctors care. The problem with that is not having access to your suboxone on a regular basis. There may be times when you can't locate it, and being on a steady dose really is key to having success with this drug.

I would recommend you get in with a knowledgeable doctor ASAP! Look for one who is open to letting you set the pace for your taper and jump if that is what you decide to do, and is open to long term maintenance if you want to go that route.

Please let me know if I'm totally off base here.

As Amy said, we will be happy to support whatever decision you make, and help you however we can along the way.

Welcome!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys! Q, you are correct, I have not seen a Dr. yet. This was my first experience with sub and I didn't understand all my options until now. I honestly believed that sub treatment was only available through "detox" centers or that I would have to go though rehab first! I feel pretty dumb actually knowing otherwise...had no idea this could be used longterm...that'll teach me to listen to just anybody lol! Again I am so glad I found you guys...will be locating a Dr. first thing to see about maint. treatment...I don't think this 5 day taper is gonna cut it! I'm worried sick about what to do after and I believe I've found my answer :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Tiki! I am feeling much better today. I'm wondering if the lower dose is why? Less nausea, mood is better, not as snappy...and I'm not pregnant thank God ;-) Anyway thanks so much for the support and I wish you luck as well! P.s. very sleepy all day now wide awake at 2am! Common?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad we could help you MC!

Yes, it is common to have some issues with daytime drowsiness when you first start. Most people find that that side effect goes away after they have stableized on a dose for about a week.

Good luck finding your doctor! Just a tip...I would try to find out when you call for your appointment if the doctor supports long term maintenance. Some don't, and you don't want to waste that induction fee, which can be quite expensive, jumping from doctor to doctor.

Q