It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sometimes I start looking on the internet, and literally freak myself out reading all the posts from Sub users who feel cheated or misinformed. Like they somehow thought that Subs were going to be this magical "cure all" that would kindly take away their underlying opiate addiction, and replace it with a warm-fuzzy means of quitting, at which time they could just taper-off with minimal ill effect and reenter the real world as a new "cured" person. Sure, we can all dream, but if it was really that easy, would it even work??? Has it really ever been possible for anyone (doctors included) to really give much of an accurate account of the merits, side-effects, or efficacy of any medication such as an opiate, without actually experiencing it first-hand?

**It's certainly hard to argue the fact that there are a lot of misinformed docs out there that are not providing the real facts to opiate addicts who are considering Sub therapy as a means of freeing them from their addiction.

** I'm not trying to argue against any of the substantiated anger that a segment of our population feels, but I do feel that everyone needs to understand that there is a place for Sub use and it really has been a life-saver for many of us. If anything, you can take my approach, encouraging your Sub doc to take-part in these forums, reading and commenting. If they don't have an interest in it, that may be a good indication that it's time to find an alternative...

**After spending most of my life addicted to Morphine/ Heroin/ ect.. I was pretty convinced that (as an opiate addict) I'd spend the rest of my life on and off drugs, in a never-ending cycle of cessation/relapse/use/cessation/relapse/use....... Many can argue that I am just substituting one drug for another, and that may be true.... But in braking that cycle, Suboxone maintenance has finally given me the chance to live life on my own terms rather then being in constant turmoil and crisis mode.... In the 3.5 years that I have taken Suboxone I have accomplished more then the previous 30 years of addiction. My life has finally found a semblance of what others would consider "normal". I'm no longer chasing a "high" that can never be found. Instead, I've finally diverted that attention to raising my three young children, starting and running a very successful healthcare agency from home, and reestablishing a (long-lost) relationship with a wife who is finally getting to know me as a husband that she can love, admire, and have faith in... Sure, there are head-aches to deal with as a result of this therapy. It's expensive, it's a pain in the ass to go see the doc every couple months, along with the unavoidable side-effects (ie-constipation, sweats, ect.). But many of us (myself included) really need to remember the relativity of our predicament.... I don't know about you all, but being addicted to morphine/ heroin literally came so close, on so many occasions to costing me everything. I was in trouble with the law, about lost my professional license, lost dozens of relationships, alienated family, went bankrupt, not to mention the physical effects on my body that took it's toll.... When I really draw an honest perspective from then to now, my quality of life is literally a million times better.... All because of this little orange pill that I put under my tongue each morning. Because of that, I'm through worrying about being 100% clean and drug-free. 30+ years of my cycling addict behavior has proven that this will never be an option for me. I will be a SUB user for the rest of my life, and thank God for that.... When I look at the only other alternative and stop trying to fool myself in to believing that I can somehow wake-up and be normal like my "NORMI" friends and family, I can then "truly" be thankful for the life I've finally been granted.

****Thank-You Suboxone, for finally giving me an alternative that is not some fantasy, and that has really turned my life around in so many ways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bravo! What a great post, and congrats on your recovery.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: I'm with you
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was not even aware until I found this site that Suboxone could be used as a maintenance drug. The Doctor I go to only does short term treatment and I never knew any different. So now I have been on Sub for 9 or 10 months and have no immediate plans on coming off it. I would like to come off it someday, but it works so well for me now that I am not in any hurry and I agree with you Melsailsnorth, if I can put this magic pill under my tongue once a day (once a day is key by the way) to stop years of heartbreak and struggle I am more than happy to do that the rest of my life if I have to. It is a pain in the ass to go to the Dr's but not half as much as I went through to get my drug of choice. Keep up the good work Melsailsnorth you are a role model for how well suboxone can work!

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: bravo!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 pm 
Couldn't have said it better m'self!
JD