It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I keep coming across this problem ( more now than before). I open up a new 8mg sub film and the strip is broken in half or the top third has come off.. Also its not a clean cut, its very jagged and uneven..also sometimes I go to fold the strip in half to mark the halfway point and it ends up having a huge tear that makes it break in uneven halfs!! WTF? I'm sorry for ranting but this is seriously bugging me. I told my Rx about it last month and he said that he would give me a fresh "box" of subs. It didn't make a difference. Does anyone else have this problem with the films? Also I read an earlier post about someone whos dr. Has them bring in their empty sub film foils for RB to check on quality control or something...does this mean that they are aware of this issue??? It is an expensive med and I guess today it finally just hit me how pissed i get about this...sorry everyone had to let it out.

Prodigy

Post subject: yeah, some broken strips
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, me too, actually I have noticed some of my films broken when I opened the packages. In my case it could be because I've been traveling and maybe didn't pack 'em that well myself...but I'm not sure. Personally I'm not too concerned about it, the films have a much better absorption than the tablets do, right? I have heard people mention that the strips don't have any preservatives in them so might deteriorate quickly after opening a packet. But...the bupe just seems so strong to me and I don't have any problem with a low dose keeping me out of WD. (Cravings are another issue for me, but I won't go into that here). I can see why it's a concern for sure...but...since like I said, in my case it may be my own fault and also sinced this is actually my first 'script that I switched to the films, I'll just wait and see what happens--if it turns out to be an ongoing problem, I guess I'd mention it to the pharmacy too. But I'd say, the main thing is, is the medication working ok for you despite this issue? If so, then, yeah, you still may want to talk to the pharmacy again, or to your doctor, or even contact the manufacturer, but remember, teh main thing is if it works it works, right? Best of luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I also used to travel with mine and thought maybe that was the problem as well. I know that it is not because I keep the box in one place that does not move and open a fresh strip every time I dose. I'd say 20 out of my 30 on my last two refills were "broken". Sometimes in more than one place. The Rx didn't really believe me so I took my last refill in and he opened 3 and 2 of them were broken so he switched me for a fresh box. Also its Target Rx that I use, not some sketchy little one. (sigh) I guess it's really not a huge deal, its just that i take a half strip in the a.m. and can't seem to get a perfect half ever. THis morning topped it off when I was trying to cut it in half and it cracked and fell off in the sink, and I lost it. I then slammed my head into the sink when I lunged to catch it as it fluttered into the sink lol...just a bad experience in general! I tend to wake up cold and my hands are sometimes a little clammy so it is work when im trying to mend a broken strip. Anyways, yes they do work wonders for me and I feel better every day, but I was simply curious how many of you guys are experiencing this same thing.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me for months now. It is so irritating that we are paying so much for a medication and it’s not right. When it first started occurring I took them back to the pharmacy even the pharmacist thought I was ripping them when I was opening them. It started with a few ripped ones, and then became them all being ripped. I even tried getting the tablets, but the tablets just weren't for me, even if the films were ripped. Just recently I'll get some that aren't ripped which is great because I put two strips in my mouth at the same time and it works best when i don't have little pieces everywhere. I’m somewhat surprised you’re seeing this now more than ever. I was starting to think it was fixed, but apparently they aren't. This problem has been going on way too long now and I hope it gets addressed as soon as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ya I guess thats why It's upsetting...these things are super expensive and I like the strips because it is easier to dose accurately. Not when they shatter everywhere...as far as it being worse before and now getting better IDK. I have only been prescribed subs for 3 months. I have noticed it getting worse with each refill but that could just be bad luck. I am surprised that others have not had his problem however...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey all, while I was still on the 8mg strips, I got some cracked batches too. It seemed as if they were dried out and fragile. I have read right here on the forum that others were getting the same thing. I believe I also read where Rickett Benkiser the manufacturer (whoever) was aware of the issue. Mine seemed to work just fine, however it would make since that when trying to measure doses the cracked films would make it more difficult to get an exact amount. Just wanted to share my experience. I am on the 2mg and have not had this happen w/ the 2mg.

Post subject: 8mg Film
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

I've been reading about this problem for quite a long time but never had experienced it myself until recently.

What I failed to recognize was that most of the films being cracked and dried out were the 8mg ones. I've been on the 2mg strips for over a year and they work just fine. Easy to fold over and over again. The reason I went back to the 8mg ones is because of pain issues. The first box I opened I noticed they were a bit dried out. No way could they be folded or they'd crack and tear, just like everyone is saying.

The 2mg ones are a lot lighter in color so maybe that has something to do with the cracking or breaking. If you are taking around 8mgs or less, I'd suggest you ask your Sub doctor to give you the 2mg ones and see if that help. Yes, you'd need to take four to equal 8mgs but they don't taste as bad and are great for tapering down with.

Has anyone had a problem with the 2mg ones? My guess is its only the 8's that have the problem. And why hasn't RB fixed this problem that has been going on for over a year now? When they first came out I heard no complaints and I didn't have any bad ones either.

2mgs may be the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unfortunately i take 12mg a day also my rx does not stock the 2mg. Also i tried gettin them in the past and it was a huge hastle with the insurance not wanting to pay (no preautherization).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have the same issue and have had zero satisfaction from the pharmacy. It has been going on for months and it is getting worse. Who will help us. Sometimes they are in tiny worthless pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I read that it had to do with the coloring in the dye. Apparently some have more than others and causes the strips to become dry and brittle. RB says they are fixing it but...IDK the post that I read was a year old. Either way I probably lost 2 strips total this month, which doesn't seem like much but, $ is $.

Post subject: OH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just noticed this thread after already commenting on the other one regarding this situation. My question is...are the 2mg strips only a quarter of the price per pill as the 8mg strips? If so I am definitely switching since I am not even taking 8mg/day anyway.

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I had the same thought so I asked my dr. to switch me as I was only taking 4mg/day. I had two problems that you should be aware of.

1) I have private insurance that covers suboxone but only after a preauthorization. My original scrip took 16 days before they would pay for it! Switching from the 8mg to the 2mg strip required a new preauth. which took forever.

2) My RX that I use (Target) had the best prices in my area $7.60/8mg strip. they charge $7.10/2mg strip. That blew my mind.

Basically I decided that the strips cracking and breaking is minimal to the high cost and hastle. If I were you I would do my research and find out if your insurance will pre auth. and make sure that your rx carries them (TARGET only carries the 8mg in my area)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of...the 2mgs would cost as much as the 8mg. Which is why I'd rather just keep getting the 8mg and deal with the crumbles. If I do lose some of the med, it is nothing compared to losing 6mgs by getting the 2mg strips at the same price! That's crazy that they are the same price, but that's what I figured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yup just got switched to subutex so no problem anymore ripped filmsss. the 8mg more than half of my script was ripped no matter what pharmacy i got them from. but never the 2 mg ones. not 1 was ripped when opening.... sucked!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Same deal here. When they first started distributing the strips I had flawless strips. I started using my old pharmacy, and they only carried the tablets.. So I wasnt getting to strips for months. My most recent RX was filled with the strips, and everyone IVe opened so far has been cracked and shattered to bits. Really frustrating, especially when paying such high dollar for htis medication. Absolutely, irritating considering the amount of work it is to get them out of the package already...Im going to try to get the tablets for now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Last night when I opened a new film package, I noticed some discoloration on my film. I remember someone saying that they noticed something like this too when they held their films up to the light, but I can't remember what thread it was on. So I held it up to the light, because this happened to be one of the few films in my box that did not break into pieces, and I noticed a bunch of little white (or light orange) dots all over it. They were just random little dots. I only take 1mg at a time now, so when I cut them, there are a different amount of dots on each little square. I don't know if this is the actual medicine or what, but if it is, then I am not getting the same amount of medicine each time I dose 1 little square. I don't know if I've just never noticed this before and everyone's is like this, or if it was just that one. Has anyone else seen this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Taurus, I have noticed the same thing and was curious about it too. Since I normally take 16mgs a day I don't have to worry about it, but sometimes I'll take 12mgs or at least I think it's 12mgs. I don't think there is really a way to determine if it is the buprenorphine or not. It's strange because the little spots are scattered throughout the whole strip and not equally distributed either way. It may not even have anything to do with the buprenorphine and it could be a problem with how it's made which could be an answer for why the strip is broken. I hope it's not a problem with the buprenorphine and it is even throughout the whole strip.

Also, it is strange but I have noticed a pattern recently with the films that are ripped and ones that are normal. Whenever I fill my prescription I get 60 films and the give me 2 boxes of 30. Usually they both will have the same lot number. For example, the most recent lot number on the packages are H11GW104 and in the past the only difference with this series of lot numbers is that it started with A and then went through the alphabet to H. For example A11GW104, B11GW104,....., H11GW104. On the back of each package, I've noticed, there is either a small box on the top right, top left, or no box whatsoever. For the most part, the packages with the boxes have ripped strips in them or most of the strips are ripped. I'll come across some that aren't ripped but they usually are. For the packages with no box, for the most part they are NOT RIPPED but once again they aren't all like this some are ripped but the majority aren't. Not sure why it's like this, but it's just something I picked up on.

There has definitely been an improvement with them being solid like they originally were and should be, so hopefully they have found a solution to this problem. Also, has anyone else noticed this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I did notice some of the packages having that little blue box and some don't. I will start paying attention to whether those are the ones that break or not. Just FYI, the strip that had all the dots on it last night was not brittle. This strip stayed in tact and was easy to cut. Once I open the next one (in a few days) I will see if it's the same and post it. I'm afraid to open another one too soon since I only go through 1 strip every 3 or 4 days. I don't know if they lose potency or something if I expose them to air for a few days before taking them??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

After much bitching and moaning my rx (target) gave me a fresh box. All of the strips were perfect! It blew my mind. I always held mine up to the light to check for cracks but this time i noticed those little white boxes. I actually had the same thought, that maybe that was the actual medicine, but my older strips never had them, so i think not. I suggest complaining or at least asking your pharmacist for a fresher scrip. It made a huge difference for me, and the rx was actually grateful for bringing it to there attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

StillProdigy, so are you saying that the strips in your new box had the little white dots on them even though they weren't brittle? Or are you saying there were no white dots on this new batch? I don't know if I should take them back to the pharmacy just for the white dots or not. I haven't been having trouble with them breaking into pieces anymore...that seemed to happen with just the first few. But I don't know about the white dots. Does anyone else see them on their strips when holding them up to the light?