It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree wrote:
Hey j781! You didn't insult me in any way....but I sure do appreciate the apology, albeit unneccessary. I know I was being sarcastic and shrill in some of my comments. I just couldn't help myself!! You have a lot of great things to say and I'm glad you're sharing and posting on the forum and hope you will continue.

Ahh, good, that's a relief. Sometimes I put my foot in my mouth, usually unintentionally, but still....I'm glad we're cool.

As for the doctors and withdrawal from Suboxone, I have to say that my doctor has not minced words at all. He told me straight up that getting off suboxone, especially after long-term use, is very challenging. He never once said or implied that it would be any easier than getting off oxycontin or anything else.

I think what many doctors have in mind when they tell their patients that getting off suboxone is easier, is the fact that in general, you're going to be doing so under the care of a doctor, which, in theory, should make the process a bit easier to deal with.

Now for me, I have no plans of coming off this drug right now. Not after over 30 years of heavy opiate abuse and dozens and dozens of failed attempts at stopping. The statistics for people like me are shocking. VERY FEW people in my situation get and stay clean. Something like 5% are able to get off opiates and stay off for a year, and I believe the numbers actually go down the longer you go out. So, given that I want to live, I am playing the odds. I've abused heroin, percoset, vicodin, oxycontin, and any other opiate I could get my hands on for more than 2/3 of my life. I'm certainly not going to worry about side effects from bupe at this point, particularly when the primary side effect is getting my life back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have been reading this entire thread - and I have to make an observation.

Has anyone been told by their doctors that the best way to get off of suboxone is by stopping cold turkey? I certainly have never been told that, nor have I read many cases where someone recommends that method.

I have read where doctors want a faster taper than perhaps desired, but it seems pretty consistent to me that tapering is the way to go.

Maybe I am unique here, but I could not handle cold turkey from opiates. I am realistic that I can't handle cold turkey from suboxone.

I am in a TOTALLY different state of mind today, about 7 months on suboxone. I am actually considering a taper. I am working on my recovery, my state of mind, my triggers.

I NEVER did that - besides fantastical thinking - when I was on my previous drug of choice.

So, what has suboxone presented to me? A possibility I could have never attempted. A rational, slow taper - where I increase my exercise as I slow taper down. That way - my body slowly heals itself to create endorphins as I taper. Again - except for fantasy thinking - I never really could do that on oxy's.

Just my $.02. If indeed I thought that I would jump to suboxone and then just cold turkey it - I suppose I would be disappointed. It was never presented to me that way.

Anyone else ever think - wow - I can't remember what it was like to live my life in 4 hour increments anymore? So many things are different - and I must say for the better. Taper, taper, taper -- exercise, exercise, exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Still no answer to my questions huh justinrok? Perhaps you just have not had the time to get around to it yet.

I did just happen to run across something that a participant here posted today. She has had experience with coming off of Suboxone both by just stopping at a moderate dose, and by tapering down very slowly over a relatively long period of time. Here is what she wrote:

"When I jumped from 2 mgs a few years ago, I went through complete hell, and then had very significant WD symptoms (or PAWS?) for 13 1/2 weeks post-jump. This time, I tapered. And there is simply a WORLD of difference!!!! I wish I could adequately explain in words how much milder and easier the tapering method is. On a scale of 1 to 10: My jump from 2mgs? An 11. My taper? Barely a 1. Barely. It was dramatically shorter, and the post-jump bounce-back happens within days--not weeks. It was SSSOOOO worth it!!"

It pretty much sounds like she went through what you did, justinrok. Pretty amazing difference when she came off the SAME DRUG using a different method. It speaks volumes, doesn't it justinrok? Perhaps when you post your answer to my other questions you can comment on this person's experience as well.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm sitting in the waiting room of my endo Dr. now. At the same time I started subs (a year ago) my endocrine system took a dive. I have very low testosterone, cortisol (has never been above 2.5), growth hormone, and a couple others out of whack. I don't know if this started when I started abusing opiates (10 years ago) or when I started subs. I for one know what is like to battle hormone deficiency. It has been hell.