It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub DUI resolved
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi guys!

You may remember I was charged with DUI three years ago for driving while taking Suboxone and Abilify. I made a deal to stay out of trouble for three years and my dui charge would drop to a negligent driving 1.
Well it has been three years and I have been totally compliant. I just went to court and got this finished up.

Now instead of DUI on my record, I have this misdemeanor charge.

My advice: NEVER TELL A COP WHAT MEDS YOU ARE TAKING! I was not impaired and my blood levels of sub were perfect for my dose. It doesn't matter. If a cop thinks you are impaired and you admit to taking any drug, you are done for.

I used this experience to learn more about the law and become a more careful driver. I am grateful that things didn't turn out worse for me.

I am still doing well; I have been on sub for over four years now and know it has saved my life. I have three more years to go in a program for addicted nurses. I have a great job and am feeling optimistic.

I miss you guys and would like to get back into posting more.

Take care of yourselves!

Post subject: Re: Sub DUI resolved
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Orange Doll

That's Great news! My son got a Dui for suboxone. In his case the cops just wanted to harass him & in part i don't blame them because of his past actions so he got it thrown out. I also know the nursing program can be really hard, so I am especially glad to hear you are doing well.

I completely agree with NOT telling cops what you are on. I am sure you know this but even doctors don't know that much about medication. You need a pharmacist to explain how a medication "may" affect you. That's what my son's lawyer did, got a notarized letter from a pharmacist to explain suboxone & driving.. :x

I hope you post more often. This forum is a great help for me. Wish we could get scheduled chat meetings going.

Great to read your post today!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Orange Doll!

I'm glad to see that this worked out for you. I remember you posting about it in the past. I can remember being very scared that this was even a possibility. It's good to have this back in the active topics here. You gave some good advice that we all need to keep in mind.

As for getting involved with the forum again...just keep posting! I'm glad to see you back. :D

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great news - even though it should be never have happened! You provide some good starting advice in suggesting you never tell police what medication you take. I'm going to take that much farther and very, very strongly suggest that everyone never tell the police ANYTHING. It's that simple and the same advice any decent attorney will give you. DONT TALK TO THE POLICE - EVER!!!!!! You do not have to. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. Other than direct questions like can I see your drivers license, simply state, I do not talk to the police without an attorney present. Be kind. Be friendly and SHUT UP. Nothing good will come from anything else. If you are going to get a speeding ticket you are going to get one. Don't make it worse.

DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE and video record any and all police encounters. It's as siimole as that. Had Orange Doll done this, none of this would have happened. Don't let them rattle you. It's simple to say, "I'm sorry, I don't speak to the police."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:56 pm 

Thanks for updating us, Orange Doll! I'm glad that your record is more or less cleared up and that you gotten through a lot of the requirements to keep your nursing credentials!

We would love to have you posting more on the forum so please do!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too would like to become more involved again, but even though I don't have a "job" per se, being a stay-home parent is work enough in itself, and I'm a beta tester for MANY companies (hardware)...so between beta testing new devices not yet out, and chasing a 3 year-old ....I normally don't sit at the computer for more than 2hrs a week...and the majority of that is doing the stuff I'm required to do in the beta programs I'm involved with at that time.

There are many perks to being in beta testing...the biggest I've got is all the networking devices I get to keep once a beta is finished..I have a decent collection of routers though...I'm at #6 I think, and I'm only using 2 of the 6 right now (2 individual DSL lines because AT&T sucks and won't upgrade our internet to something decent)...

I'm in another one that involves watching TV, but thanks to NDA agreements, I can't talk much on details of that.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Orange Doll thanks for this advice. Though I knew it from my friends who works with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer, many people aren’t aware of. The best is to never tell cops as any information use tell them is usually used for your conviction rather than defense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:29 pm 

Othello, welcome to the forum! Why don't you start a thread about yourself in the Introductions section.

My only question about this subject is the problem with the eyes. If you do get pulled over for a ticket or whatever and they shine a light in your eyes they will be very pin pointed, indicating opiate use. Some drugs like LSD dilate your eyes and that is a giveaway too.

Just don't say anything except what is required by law. So many decent people get themselves in trouble by talking too much. If asked if you are taking any drugs, just say your medical information is private. Don't give up any info w/o consulting an attorney. If asked if you're impaired, say no or nothing at all.

Be careful, very careful.

Rule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So during those 3 years are you convicted of a DUI or is it pending?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

You're right Orange doll. Admitting to the police that you are taking any drug is a huge mistake. That happened to a friend of mine when he was caught for DUI several months back here in Phoenix. Good thing that the case didn't escalate because he hired the services of the Arizona DUI Team to represent him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 pm 

What did he tell the cops that could have been used against him?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

That's horrible I am sorry that you went through that.
I was in a single car accident last August and went to the ER. I needed pain relief so I told them that I take suboxone, the cop was right there. He asked how long have I been on them, I stated 3 months. He said, so it doesn't impair your driving? Nope. Okay. I was given a ticket for careless driving. That was it. I see now that I was very fortunate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

The truth is it depends on which state ur in. I will never again tell a police officer which prescriptions I am prescribed either, it's none of there damn business. I too am currently fighting a DUI for my suboxone but in pa the burden of proof is hard to make. The state must prove that the suboxone affected your driving which isn't easily proven. The problem is that it's gonna cost me 3 grand to vindicate myself and all for trying to get clean. There needs to be new legislation passed to protect those who are prescribed suboxone as anyone who takes it knows there is no affect on ur ability to operate a vehicle after a few days of dosing. No one should have to shell out thousands of dollars because we r stereotyped as trouble makers. Write your congressman if we all speak up they can't arrest us all. Thankfully I have family helping to pay my legal fees however some aren't as lucky so spend 15 mins and 50 cents for a stamp and take a stand to protect your rights

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:44 pm 

I have no problem with police, but NEVER tell them anything! Check out this link to a video of a defense attorney and a cop both saying that same thing in their own ways. It's a long video, but interesting and worth watching.

Amy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The same thing just happened to me two days ago, only difference is I was targeted because the cop watched me leave the clinic so I didn't lie to him, I knew he was getting me one way or the other. I'm waiting for my blood work to cone back before being charged I guess. He said he is checking on the therapeutic levels. How can they tell what right therapeutic level is? In just called my counselor and she said I had to talk to the doc and he isn't in. I take two 8mg strips a day, sometimes I will take a half strip more if I wake up sweating bad in the middle of the night. Do you know what the therapeutic level is for suboxone? I have a perfect driving record and have never been in any real trouble. I am still in shock. I can't believe this has happened to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 pm 

MM,

When you get a prescription for Suboxone, there is a pamphlet inside that explains all the details about the drug and it's interactions, etc. If I remember correctly, it says on it that it may impair you mentally until you get adjusted to it. Bringing in that paper may help your case because you were not impaired unless you just started taking it. I'll go look at one of mine and see if I can find it.

Plus, do some digging on Dr. Junig's blog and see what will help to print out. IMO, the officer erred completely and the case against you should be thrown out. Thing is, we don't know the court system where you live so it's hard to say what will happen.

Prepare your case and keep us informed.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Marley-me wrote:
The same thing just happened to me two days ago, only difference is I was targeted because the cop watched me leave the clinic so I didn't lie to him, I knew he was getting me one way or the other. I'm waiting for my blood work to cone back before being charged I guess. He said he is checking on the therapeutic levels. How can they tell what right therapeutic level is? In just called my counselor and she said I had to talk to the doc and he isn't in. I take two 8mg strips a day, sometimes I will take a half strip more if I wake up sweating bad in the middle of the night. Do you know what the therapeutic level is for suboxone? I have a perfect driving record and have never been in any real trouble. I am still in shock. I can't believe this has happened to me.

So the cop just happened to see you leave the clinic? or was he watching it? They can't sit outside a bar and wait for patrons to come out, so I don't see how they can do that at a clinic. Did you have to do a sobriety test, too? (walk the line, say the alphabet backwards, do the hookie pokie etc.)
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:02 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Check out this documentary. It contains loads of useful info about getting pulled over!
Guns and Weed the Road to Freedom
the entire film can be seen here > http://www.gunsandweed.com/

Am I being detained???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Where is Orange Doll's original post about her DUI?
I wanted to read how the cop found out she was on subs.
I searched her posts and I don't see it.
THANKS in advance if someone can point me to it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there, Sister Morphine...yes he made me do all of the sobriety test. Which now I know I didn't have to do. He searched my car and patted me down. It sucks, and its not legal but they do sit and watch the bars and clinics around here. I had my make-up group today from missing mine from the cop pulling me over. Apparently from what my counselor said I'm not the first this has happened to. The only difference she said is, that I am the only one so far that had only suboxone in my system. I gave my urine at the clinic right before I got pulled over. This all pushed me to the point where I wanted to go out and drink. My nerves are still shot over this but I didn't drink. Funny thing is the cop never did tell me what I did to get pulled over in the first place. I know I didn't do anything wrong. I haven't even had a moving violation in twenty years. Its just not fair if I get convicted of this. My driving record, my insurance rates, everything will be screwed. And I was so proud of my driving record. I'm my dads only child left and I'm taking care of him and not working. So this is going to make it extremely hard here if I have to put out thousands of dollars for doing nothing wrong. It just sucks.