It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I see other women's posts on how low they are on their dose and feel extremely jealous. Why can't i be like that? I tried so hard through the first 2 trimesters to deal with it. I wish i could of kept dealing with it but now that i have stopped it is like i can't go back to that struggle... sorry...low self esteem going on right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:02 am 

P&L don't feel bad about that because everyone is so different. Even me, I see ppl that's on lower doses than I am and sometimes I think to myself..... why am I not ready to be that low. But I'm just not where they are mentally. Everyone has to go at their own pace and each individual is a different circumstance. So try to give urself a bit of a break, if I were in ur shoes, I'm not sure I'd even be able to be on a dose as low as urs is lol. So to me, ur doing amazing. Try to remember that we're not all the same and all pregnancies are definitely not the same. Some women have easier pregnancies and some do not (all 3 of mine were very hard on me emotionally and physically). To me, I feel like the dose ur on is pretty darn good :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry Vegimite-for taking over your thread!
Pregnant&lost- I would take the articles anyway-it might help show him how serious you are-like you put in all of this effort to back up your statements. Again, I would be very direct, very blunt and not accept any other answer than, "ok, we will put you on a higher dosage". Any other answer than that is not going to work. Tell him that you will keep running out early, not that you might or think that you will. He is a person like anyone else and you are doing what is right for you. You are doing well!! Is the doula going to call him? I agree with Pelican, don't let her lose sight of the main goal-a higher dosage, not switching to plain bupe. If it would help you, write what you will say down, either hand it to him in person or practice in a firm voice what you will say. Try not to use words like-might, maybe, etc. Show him that you have educated yourself on the subject and that you know what the hell you are talking about, because you most certainly do!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh gosh! Sorry vegemite...going to move back over to my thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Lol, it's fine. Too late now I'd say :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:25 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Definitely take the articles to the doctor!
I tried to reduce once when I wasn't ready because I was getting pressure from family to do so. It was a massive disaster!
You really do need to do what's right for you and your baby!
I wish you could come to my doctor!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Pelican wrote:
P&L,

I did find a VERY interesting article presented at the 36th annual meeting, “The Pregnancy Meeting,” of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Atlanta, GA, February 1–6, 2016.

I just read the whole thing! Wow! Thank you vey much for this!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Vegemite- I switched from Suboxone to generic bupe., not because of pregnancy, but for some oral surgery that I had. Looking back-maybe that is why I was so uncomfortable while taking it-I needed more. That was the only time I thought about taking pain medication while in treatment- I didn't need them for the pain-I just wanted to take them. I even had some from the dentist but I didn't take them. I hated being on it. I was supposed to be on generic for 2 weeks-so I had two weeks of those and two weeks of Suboxone. I took my Suboxone when I was supposed to take the generic bupe-but when I ran out of those, I had to take the generics. I was not happy those two weeks on the generic. I did find that doing the painting method really helped though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

HTOWN,

That's really interesting that the generic one didn't hold you as well. We don't have generic brands here, just subutex and suboxone both made by Reckitt Benckiser. The government fully subsidises it. Some people collect from public hospitals and it's free, I get mine from a chemist so I have to pay $30/week service fee, others go to private clinics and pay $60-$70/week.

Was your generic one subutex or suboxone? I found the suboxone held me well but the subutex is a struggle.

I've got a rather large stockpile of suboxone but I just don't want to take it while pregnant.

I haven't increased my dose since about a week after switching but I'm really struggling in the evenings with uncomfortable, achy, restless legs and feeling crappy. Also, I'm not sleeping well. All of those things can also be pregnancy symptoms too but taking more sub definitely makes the symptoms go away.
I'm just thankful I don't have morning sickness! I wonder if the sub is stopping it?

Vegemite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Here we have brand name Suboxone and generic bupe. We don't have brand name Subutex-they are all generic. I was taking generic Subutex-that is the one I had an issue with. I much prefer the Suboxone. Morning sickness is the worst! Whether the Subutex is preventing it or not, I'd say you're pretty lucky!!I imagine it would be hard to pin down whether or not those are pregnancy symptoms or because you switched to Subutex-I have no idea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey vegemite!

Apologies for hijacking your thread last week. Glad tho, you found the article helpful. Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

No problem Pelican, I'm fine with it.

Htown, I think it is just the subutex compared with suboxone that makes me feel like I'm in withdrawal, as opposed to pregnancy symptoms. You're right though, hard to know for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I believe it. I was not a happy camper while taking them, at all. But when I did finally try Dr.J's method on maximizing absorbption-it did help quite a bit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

What is it? The "painting" method?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Go here:
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing- ... bsorption/

Basically you crush the tablet between your teeth and spread it around your mouth with your tongue. Gums, cheeks, roof of mouth-everywhere in your mouth. Swish the mixture of the tablet and saliva in your mouth for as long as you can stand it-minimum 15-20 minutes without swallowing(some do it for up to 45 minutes). It really helped when I had the tablets but I can't do it very well with the films.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would've thought it'd get stuck to your teeth and not dissolve well?
I'm actually on such a small amount, it dissolves pretty quickly anyway so not much point with crushing.
The instructions say not to crush it but I know at some clinics they used to grind it up.
I don't swallow the saliva for at least 15 mins usually, so it's probably about the same.
I think the not swallowing is the most important bit.
With the film, it has such a large surface area, you're practically painting it on anyway!
I just had a quick look and found the article on it. One thing I found interesting was that the doctor said to only have it once a day. I used to do that but as I got down to a lower dose, it just wasn't lasting as long. I found that by 4pm I was yawning constantly and exhausted. Some nights I couldn't sleep because my legs hurt so much from withdrawal. I started saving a tiny slither of the film for the afternoon which I'd take around 4pm and I felt so much better! Now I have 0.4 mg when I wake, 0.2 mg after breakfast and 0.1 mg around 5pm - 6pm. It's working fairly well most days. I was only on 0.5mg total before switching to tablets though so it was annoying to go up. An extra 0.2 mg sounds so small but it's 40% increase which is huge!
You'd think that on such small dose I could just stop but I tried jumping (when I went 1mg-0.6mg ) and it was sooo awful!!! I don't want to try it again!!! I'll reduce to 0.1 or 0.2 before I eventually come off!! I did something similar to get off methadone a few years ago and it worked really well and wasn't too uncomfortable - until a year later when my ex started buying me heroin presents and I ended up addicted again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, the once a day dosing is ideal. It is in order to not think about your next dose and to break the habit of taking something and feeling better. If you use his method to maximize the absorption, then the ceiling effect will occur at 2-4mg(although I remember seeing something more recently that suggests it might be a little more than 2-4mg but of course, I don't remember where I read it) so you will not need to take it more than once per 24hrs. I'm not sure how that works with people taking less than 2 though-like you. I take mine twice a day, as prescribed by my doctor. Right, although .2 doesn't sound like much, it does when you look at the percentage of the dose you are on! As many members say here- slow and steady or low, slow and steady wins the race-also you get no extra points for being miserable so why do that to yourself. You have done it with methadone so you can do it again with this whenever you are ready to. I will go as low as I can for however long it takes but that is not going to be in my near(if at all) future.

I'll add this too- what a shitty present!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Very shitty present! Especially as he would use my money and wasn't working! Hence one of the many reasons why he's an ex now!!!
When I was first on methadone, I tried to come off faster than I was ready for because of pressure I was getting from other people and I just ended up using heroin again as a result, so I will never do it for someone else again. I agree, everyone needs to do what is right for them. That's another reason why I get so upset when I hear of doctors trying to get pregnant women off it and make them reduce! Total recipe for disaster!!!!
I tried moving it around in my mouth this morning (although I've been taught not to do so) and I don't think it worked very well. It makes it dissolve faster and then it doesn't absorb as well.
I'm really not convinced by this method. It goes against everything my current and former prescribing doctors have told me as well as what the dosing clinics and chemists have told me. I ended up taking my 0.2 dose 2 hours early too and now I feel quite crappy.
I was taught that it's important not to talk when it's in your mouth because, aside from the chance of spitting some out, it's not good to have it move around in your mouth and dissolve so quickly.
I find it absorbs best if I keep my tongue still and keep it in the one spot. The thing that really works is not swallowing the saliva too quickly!!!!

Is it common to dose 2x per day where you are? I've only heard of it from one other person and that's because she is on a lower dose than me. It was her that suggested I try it when my dose got low. I've never managed half and half though. I always have more in the morning! I don't think I'd feel up to going to work if I only had half of it. I'm pretty sure it wears off faster when I sleep too so the bit I have at night wears off before morning. I always wake up feeling awful!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is exactly what my concerns are tapering off Suboxone earlier than I am ready to-in order to please someone else and relapsing. So...I am not going to!
I can't use that method on the strips but it did help when I had the tablets. I was taking a whole one though. I can see where it would be more difficult(or not work, or not work as well) to do with a smaller dose.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, looks like I pressed submit when I wasn't finished writing! I wouldn't say twice a day dosing is common, but it isn't uncommon-if that makes sense. While it is ideal to only take once a day, there are several reasons to split them but it is best to follow your doctor's instructions. It just isn't a one size fits all kind of deal

I had a boyfriend that did the same thing-would take my money(he didn't work either) and go and buy cocaine. I was so pissed that he did it but my thinking at the time was well, if this is where my money was spent, I'm at least going to do it too! That was a long time ago and thank goodness I didn't stay with him. Toward the end of the relationship, I had to sleep with my money tucked into one side of my bra, my car keys in the other. So I know exactly how that goes