It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:59 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So, from what I've read, Butrans seems like a wonderful option for some pain patients and for those whom are attempting tapering/ending Sub treatment. I've been on the Sub for about 18months now. And, I don't plan on ending treatment anytime soon. My Doc originally induced me on 24-32mg and Im now down to 12mg. Don't get me wrong, I like my Doc/his staff. And I really appreciate the fact that I only have to see him every 3months now. But, since the beginning of treatment I've wished that he'd spend a LITTLE MORE time with me at my appointments. I have a thearapist whom I've been seeing for a couple of years now. So, I have someone to support me through my recovery, and to talk to about everyday problems. I just wish my Sub Doc would take the time to listen to me, instead of just "a 5min write the script/out the door visit". Everytime I've tried to speak to him about a side-effect or craving, or anything Im concerned about...his answer is to try to push different meds on me. Since the beginning, he's added Soma on my Sub script. And EVERY appt. I've told him that I don't take them and that I DON'T WANT THEM. He finally stopped including the Soma on my script when I told him I was pregnant. I had been on Trazadone (a sleep med) prior to becoming preggo. At the request of my O.B., I stopped taking it, and to this day...my Sub Doc still writes Trazadone on my script (and insists that he wants me to take it). At this last appt., he even upped the Trazadone dosage! Im about to give birth ANY DAY NOW. How in the hell does he think Im gonna be able to take sleep medication AND get up w/a newborn all throughout the night?!! My final straw tho, is w/the Butrans. Like I stated, I think it's a great option for some, but Im no-where near ready to even TAPER any further right now. Not to mention switching to a patch which only doses less than 1mg. WTF!! Suggestions anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So he's not giving you any options with regard to the Butrans or is he just heavily pushing it? Is it possible to make a separate appointment with him in between your regular appointments just to sit and discuss this with him? Also, I just checked and Butrans is available as 5, 10, and 20 mg.

It's also not recommended to take it while breastfeeding, but that's just from one site I read. I didn't research that specifically. But perhaps if you tell him that's what you found it would allow him to back off it a bit. If you're tapering at your own rate - and that's what I'd be comfortable doing - I don't blame you for not wanting to do the Butrans. \

It just sounds like your doctor doesn't listen to you, which really does suck. Have you thought about finding a new sub doc? I know it's a pain in the ass, especially considering you've got a lot coming up. But it's something to think about if it comes to that. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My old doctor used to write me Soma too, and just like you, I didn't need it. I think some docs kinda mechanically write the script based on whatever they wrote the time before. I put my back out and my doctor gave me Soma, which made me get a terrible hangover...seriously, it was bad. The dude kept putting it on my script, so I would just put it on hold over and over and over again. I probably have 10 Soma scripts that are now expired. He'd start writing the second he got into the room with me, and I felt like he was writing and not listening, which seemed to be why he never grasped that I didn't need Soma!! Weird, though, because now I know that Soma is actually habit-forming and people get really hooked on it, so I don't know why any doctor would want to give anyone with an addiction history something like that.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have often wonder why so many that are on sub are also on benzo. I remember the first time I was on sub my sub doc made a big deal about how dangerous they were together... then when I was trying to get off the sub my sub doctor wrote out script for valium soma and I think clonidine. I was not even complaining about anything at the time... I soon found out why he wrote the scropt for the valium. I didnt get them filled out of fear of another addiction.

I spoke to my pvt md and when I informed him I was on sub he explain to me why I was having anxiety problems... he didnt give me a script for a benzo though. He now know I am a addict. I kinda wish I would of told him years ago I was a addict.

I think the doctor that only run pain clinic and sub clinics just get tired of hearing the same thing over and over about anxiety... so they altomaticly write scripts for benzo/s... I guess not that dangerouse any more?.

I often wonder why the sub doctors dont take insureance also? Have you guys ever wondered why? I think I have heard of maybe three folks that the MD will accept ins. One guy I know is on mc and get his sub doc to accept him.... of course now he is cut off and the poor guy has to find another sub doc or go thru wd after 7 yrs. His last attempt he relapse and ended up nearly dead... the doctor knows this but cutting him off anyway. Is there a time limit for sub with ins? does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My insurance covers both my suboxone doctor visits and my sub medication. As far as I know there is no time limit to my coverage. But that doesn't mean other plans aren't time limited. Lately, some state medicaid programs have stopped covering suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanx for the info. Hat. I was totally unaware of the brestfeeding thing. And, for some reason, I was thinking that the Butrans was dispensed in mcg into your body throughout the week. So, if it's a 5mg patch, it would go into you'r bloodstream in mcg, every few hours over the course of a week...eventually adding up to 5mg??

When he brought up the patch at this last appt, I was confused. It was a total surprise. He's never mentioned it before now. I said "does this mean your trying to wean me off Subutex over the next few months?" and he said "no, Im gonna give you this script w/two refills, and then you can go to the patch, it's better than just cold turkey-you see?" It was so weird! Because, even though he's said in the past that I can't be on the Sub for longer than two years b/c of the DEA (which I KNOW is total bullshit)...I was still under the impression that he would taper me very slowly. Then I asked him "what if I don't wanna go to the patch?" and he replied "well, lets just see..after you have the baby"

I've known for awhile in my heart that eventually I'd need to find a new Sub Doc. Not just because of tapering lower than Im comfortable with/ending treatment, but more-so because he dosen't seem to want/have time to listen and talk to me. I guess I've just been buying time since I've been preggo...hoping that day would come LATER than the next few months.

And Ladder-thats just like me w/the Somas. I must have @ least ten scripts for Soma @ the pharmacy. Crazy Doctor!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like I said about the breastfeeding, that's only one page I read it on. I THINK others have done more research on the subject and found that it might actually be safe. I do not have a clear memory of this so cannot attest to what's really correct or not. Hopefully others will see this post and be able to give you better answers.

Post subject: Breastfeeding
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm only guessing about the insurance thing, but here's what I'd suspect. Doctors don't like dealing with insurance and it's no wonder. Insurance companies are a pain in doctors' rear ends. A lot of in-demand docs don't take any insurance whatsoever and you have to bill your insurance yourself and are lucky to get even partial reimbursement. The docs that take insurance do so because if they don't, they won't have enough patients willing to pay the full cost of treatment. I've had a couple doctors in the past (not Sub docs, but a dermatologist and primary) who quit taking any and all insurance simply because they had plenty of people willing to pay out of pocket. I know that Sub has become a very commonly prescribed drug, and many people are willing to pay for the appointments themselves. Sub docs are very in demand. Some of them have probably decided they just don't want to have to deal with the hassle of billing insurance companies.

As for the breastfeeding, I did not breastfeed my third child because I was still on Sub and I didn't know whether it was safe. Since that time, I've learned that it IS in fact safe...at least as far as I know. Here's a link to a thread from a lady that had a baby on Sub and went to great lengths to educate herself about all this.

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3286

Good luck!! I'm looking forward to hearing your birth story. :D

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know if this helps but if you are taking these pills for sleep I have been taking 5mg of melatonin from gnc or walgreens for sleep and they work like a champ. Its the only OTC thing i've taken that actually gets me a good nite sleep w/o feeling like crap every morning. And it actually works unlike valerian root or other herbal garbage(no offense to anyone just my opinion).