It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub n Carpal Tunnel???
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, new here and just had a quick question. After being on sub for a month or so, my hands started balling up at night and it was very painful to unfurl them in the morning. My family doc said it was carpal tunnel, but I've been off sub for 12 days without any ct symptoms and I was wondering if it could have been a side effect of sub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lisa and again, welcome to the forum (I replied on your other thread),

To be honest I don't see how bupe could in any way be related to or causing carpal tunnel. It's a very safe opiate, specifically a partial agonist (as compared to full agonist pain meds). I would think your carpal tunnel is merely a coincidence as far as the timing related to the improvement of your symptoms. Carpal tunnel has to do with repetitive motion in your hands/wrists. I've been through it and had the surgery, so I know how painful it can be. My symptoms have been gone for several years now and I've only been on suboxone 17 months. There's been zero evidence of my symptoms returning from being on the suboxone.

I hope that helps or at least give you another perspective. Take care - and be happy your symptoms are gone - doesn't it feel great?

Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

welcome Lisa -

I agree with hatmaker. I have never heard of suboxone causing carpal tunnel issues or similar.

You said something, though, that probably many of us here would like to know more about.

"... but I've been off sub for 12 days without any ct symptoms..."

I would be very appreciative if you would post a reply (or a thread under the category 'stopping suboxone') on your experience stopping suboxone.

Many of us are going to taper off this medication, and learning about peoples experience is very helpful. Thanks for considering this request. --LD

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

OOPS..sorry I see you have already done this...THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm 
Hey Lisa! I have heard of people having carpal tunnel type symptoms with buprenorphine. There is a thread under this same category "side effects" called "Someone please help me." Take a look at that.
When that thread was started, I replied to it and you'll see my post there. At that time, I hadn't experienced that side effect myself. However, after that I did have just a few occassions of waking in the night with my hands kind of curled and stiff and sore. I believe at the time, I was on 8mg/day or more of Suboxone. Those symptoms completely vanished after lowering my dose.
Having said all that, I still don't see, scientifically speaking, how those symptoms could be related to bupe and I doubt you'll find a doctor who will attribute it to the drug. But it is, at the very least, a strange coincidence being that others have experienced the same thing.
Anyway, I think you'll find that old thread interesting....in terms of at least you not being the only one with a similar complaint. I would think, obviously, that if the issue with your hands/wrists was due to the bupe, your problem would quickly have resolved now that you're off the medication. Has it? If not, I'd say you need to explore the possibility that indeed you may truly have carpel-tunnel syndrome or something else going on medically with your hands/wrists.
In any case....hope you're better and welcome to the forum. I read your more detailed intro in the "stopping Suboxone" topic, but haven't had time to give you a proper reply.....but I'm glad you're here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just registered for this site solely for the purpose of responding to this post. I did a search of "suboxone carpal tunnel syndrome" and found the post...and I can assure you that it is related! I was on Subutex for two years--8 mgs. per day--and started getting really severe CTS. It was diagnosed by a neurologist. I never made the connection between Sub and the CTS until I got OFF the Sub...and my CTS totally disappeared. Totally gone, not a trace left. THEN I started thinking it was a weird coincidence. Two weeks ago I started using Subutex--1 mg. per day--because I found myself quite depressed and had thoughts of using Percocet again. AS SOON AS I started the Sub again, my CTS is back. I had been completely off the Sub for seven months, no CTS. Upon using it again, even at a relatively low dose, my CTS is back. This isn't a subjective complaint...my neuro diagnosed it and also chalked it up to a coincidence that it had disappeared. Hope this helps, because I am positive there's a connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wonder if it could be possible that the sub changes one's sleep habits, thereby exacerbating an underlying condition or making the symptoms reappear? Just a thought.

Dr. J, do you have an opinion on this? I'm very curious to here your take on this subject.

Melissa G - Welcome to the forum. We're glad you found us, no matter what the reason. I hope you find as much support in your recovery here as I have. It's a great recovery community. I hope you can find some relief for your symptoms soon. Have you tried wearing wrist splints at night? Or an ergonomically correct keyboard? I think I also used to wear my splints during the day when I was on the computer. Again, welcome - I hope you check out the rest of the forum and stick around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

lisa9101 wrote:
Hi, new here and just had a quick question. After being on sub for a month or so, my hands started balling up at night and it was very painful to unfurl them in the morning. My family doc said it was carpal tunnel, but I've been off sub for 12 days without any ct symptoms and I was wondering if it could have been a side effect of sub?

Hi,I am so relieved to see your post,I too have been haveing this problem. I kept having the feeling that it is related to my meds but thought realisticly that it could not be. Anyway just find it comforting to know it is not just me,think I will try to cut my dose down (2 a day 4 mg dose) and see what happens. All though this is very painful,this suboxone has been an answer to my prayers-12 days without any opiates I have not had this for atleast 5 years! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm going to throw out a hypothesis here. I've read under the side effects that Sub can cause edema (swelling, fluid retention) for some people. It had been documented that pregnant women can develop CT symptoms due to hypervolemia and fluid retention, and that the CT symptoms disappear upon delivery. If someone was retaining just enough fluid I would think it could set up a similar scenario, and could cause the CT symptoms due to increased pressure on the nerves in the extremities.

Again, I don't know if this has been documented, just a theory.

Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had this problem also when I was on Sub (my hands balling up at night, carpal-tunnel-type pain) and I resolved it by doing deep-tissue massage on my forearms. I've already explained this elsewhere, but if you want info about it PM me.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I’m right there with you. I wake up from time to time and my arm is totally numb. I know it’s a side effect of Suboxone because this is my second time on them and when I quite the first time, it totally went away. I don’t think we/you are developing carpal tunnel, rather it feels that way (if that makes sense)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I too have joined only to post to this, I googled " suboxone carpal tunnel" and got this site at the top. Over the last year I have taken and put myself back on under 2mg suboxone daily. I have had carpal tunnel for years, but never as bad as when I am on suboxone, even for a day or two. At first I thought it was a new job, then I left that job and went back to using and the ct was gone then when starting sub again ct is back, and it has been like this on and off for the past few months as i go on and sub. I am convinced it is the sub, and I must say, my ct has never been this painful. my thumb and first finger swell up just holding a cigarette, typing this, ouch, sleep forget about it, up for half an hour at a time just to sit up and straighten my arms because the pain is so intense. Hope I have helped someone out there, I am not stopping sub anytime soon, just going to try for help with the ct.

Post subject: OMG!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I cannot believe I read that. This happened to me!!! I never, ever had carpal tunnel or did a repetitive motion job. Went on Sub and got 'carpal tunnel'. Was prescribed the braces, but they didn't do a single thing. My neurologist scared me to death by saying it could be a bunch of terrible things like MS, Lupus, etc. I went through an MRI, blood work, and a nerve conduction test in my hands. I didn't have carpal tunnel or any of those other things. My myelin sheath is very much intact, that you. As I tapered to a lower dose, guess what happened? It went away!! I was certain it was the Sub but my doctor told me absolutely not.

I met my best friend around that time and she was starting Sub. She eventually complained to me about the same exact issue with her hands at night, although I'd never told her it had happened to me. That made me feel even more certain that it was a side effect of Sub. She has tapered and guess what? It went away for her as well. Now, I'm reading these stories and it just confirms it for me. Thank you for posting about that!!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Carpel Tunnel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i just asked my Dr. about this same thing! I had CT in the past and had the surgery performed. Now i am on Suboxone and my hands are not exactly the same feeling as the carpel tunnel but kinda like it. At night its like my hands have fallen asleep, and they ache. Happens a lot. I have noticed if i take my 800mg ibuprofen before bed that it doesnt happen. My son said that while sleeping i actually put my arms in the air and start scratching or rubbing my wrists and arms. LOL i dont remember doing this. So anyway my Dr. said he had never heard of this happening and he didnt think CT came back once you had the surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had the carpal tunnel surgery about 5 years ago. I've been on suboxone for over 2 years and had no return of symptoms until about a month ago. Now it seems that the carpal tunnel is back full force. (But I believe unrelated to the sub treatment.) I didn't think it could come back after having the surgery either, but apparently it can. Thanks for the tip about the ibuprofen, I'm going to give that a try. It makes sense it would work, as it reduces inflammation and inflammation in the wrist is what "pinches" that nerve. Let's hope it works, because this damn numbness and tingling is constant and is driving me crazy!