It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub and xanax
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi-
I posted part of this before but I really really need help now. I take 8mg-16mg a day, but now the added issue is my doctor started prescribing me xanax for anxiety last September. I don't NEED either and am constantly upset at the situation. I would think to taper off the subutex first, then the xanax. I am prescribed 5mgs xanax a day, but being the addict I am, I usually take more. My tolerance is getting high and I want to stop. I know Benzo withdraw is horrible. Please help. My baby is now 18months and I want him to have a happy healthy mommy. How long will it take for withdrawl to begin and end off subutex. I may lower as much as possible and find someone to look after the baby and just get through it. And, then the xanax. Obviously slow taper, but how slow should I go?
Of course, I should have NEVER taken the Xanax, but being the addict I am. I didn't say no. I now take about 4-5 bars a day 8-10 mgs. My tolerance is so high. Should i discuss this with a new PCP? I am afraid to stop, but I need to and want to get it over with quickly. Has anyone had this type of problem and been able to get through it in a short amount of time. I can't be out of commission for more than a week or two. Could I be Detoxed of one or the other at a substance abuse treatment center.

Ironically, when I had my son, the zoloft I was taking came back as a false positive for benzos. They wouldn't let me breast feed and got CPS involved unitl the blood-test I requested came back two weeks later. I never messed with benzo's till after he was born. I told my doc I had anxiety and BAM-here's your script for a highly addictive medication to someone who is already on a medication because of addiction problems. What wonderful doctors will do.

Thank you in advance for your advice

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all I must ask, do you know how dangerous what you are doing is?? Most doctors don't prescribe benzos with sub, because of respiratory depression and when they do it's at low doses. But the fact that you're abusing it and taking more than prescribed is extremely dangerous. I'm not trying to scare you (although maybe I should be), but the risk here is death!! You need to tell your sub doctor so that s/he can wean you off the xanax. As uncomfortable as opiate withdrawal is it can't kill you, but benzo withdrawal can. So you should taper off the xanax with the help of a doctor. I can't stress this enough.

When I went off opiates and on to sub, I also stopped taking xanax - about the same dose you are on. I was inpatient at the time (not at a rehab facility) and they gave me phenobarbital to reduce the risk of seizures coming off it. That's how bad it can be.

When it comes to stopping the sub, it's always best to do a very low, slow taper. By low I mean into the micrograms before jumping. There's a thread called the liquid taper and people have used that to come off of sub with little to no discomfort.

I'm very sorry if I sound harsh, but my intent is only to help you see the situation as seriously as possible. It's my opinion that you need to take action. If it were me I'd get off the benzos first.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
If youve only been on the xanax since september thats only 4 months so you are lucky that you decided to do something about it now because you arent completely enslaved to it yet. Taking 8-10mgs is an issue though and you are dependant on it but you can get off it safely if you taper slowly over a long period. Talk to your doctor about tapering and ask him to put you on clonazepam or Diazepam since they have long half lives and are better for tapering since you can effectively dose once a day with them. As for the subutex tapering is tricky no one realy knows the perfect way but what i would do if it was me is lower my dose by 1mg a week until I was down to 1mg and then stay on that for a week then lower to .5mg and then another week lower to .25 and then I would jump off. I dont think tapering lower than .25 would do anything other than prolong the agony without being very effective. If you think about it you are only absorbing 35% of the medication so taking .25 would virtualy be nothing. I cant say that taper plan is something that you should follow because Ive never done it but when I do get off sub that is similar to how Im gonna do it. Unfortunately detox center or not you are gonna be withdrawaling for 2-3 weeks from the sub. I would def worry about the xanax first and the sub later. Unless its because of financial reasons I would not even attempt to lower your dose of sub until you have gotten off the xanax, you would just be adding way more agony to the whole process trying to do both at once. Hope everything works out for you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Xanax & Sub
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys,
Yes I do know how dangerous it is to combine. Unfortunately, it has been since last September (09) when I originally was on the meds only a couple months. I'm PRESCRIBED Wellbutrin, 24 mg Sub (which I do not take all of) 5 mg xanax and 25 mgs Ambien CR, which I have been able to wean off of now. Obviously, my doctor cares about his money, not me. I have an appointment coming up and I think #1 I should be on xanax XR (duh). But, I do want to switch to a benzo that is easier to get off of. Do you have any o :?: ther advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2009/12/27/ ... -you-sure/
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2008/11/29/ ... -recovery/

These are a couple of blog posts from Dr. Junig on the subjects of anxiety and benzos. They are excellent and I highly recommend them. He has other posts about benzos, but I believe these two are the most important.

Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:52 pm 
I would definitely have to agree that your taking more than you should. However, i take .5mg klonopin(clonazepam) 1 time a day and its just perfect for me and all i need. I took it 3 years before i started sub, then 19 months that i've been on sub. When i went to my first sub appointment, i was actually taking 2mg's of klonopin a day but my doctor ask me to taper to 1mg, however i was actually able to drop to .5 so all good. Im not saying its not dangerous, but if you take it as prescribed and at a lower dose, i believe its safe. That is as long as you can take it correctly. I havent ever had a problem with taking more than prescribed etc. It just doesn appeal to me. It did when i was in highschool but that was just a phase for me. Anyways, if i were tapering off both one if front of the other, it seems like i might taper off sub first because the benzo could really come in handy with the sub withdrawal. Thats only my opinion.