It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub and Sleep Paralysis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all, thank you everyone for this site! Everything else I have seen on the internet have been page after page of people bashing Sub - talking about how addictive it is and how terrible the withdrawals are. It is refreshing to find something positive with honest, respectful people sharing their experiences.
I first started taking Sub in Dec. 2006 and I must say it was a Godsend! The only real side effects I experienced at the time were episodes of sleep paralysis which are very scary. I've had episodes of SP since I was a kid but the Sub was a catalyst! If I dosed within 8 hours of bedtime I knew I was in for it. They did subside after time and I no longer have that problem. It would be interesting to see if anyone else had/has these issues as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What is Sleep Paralysis? I can't say I've heard of it before.

Also, what is your age, as well as daily dose of Subxone?

Welcome. I too am glad find somewhere that is objective enough for me. I consider the pros, and cons, and will debate with anyone who desires :) Anyway. This does NOT mean that I am NOT worried about long term effects, as well as long term dependence, as a wise man once said to me "there is NO free lunch." People expect a magical drug to instantly cure everything! They are not thinking about the work that must be put in, and statistics of opiate users in recovery! (Don't look, it will scare/depress you)

We will be objective, and look forward to the future, with hope. I have found immense change within myself and my life. If others will stop "Glenn-Beck'ing" the shit out of it, and think rationally, and objectively they may find the peaceful life I enjoy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rationale,
If you are interested, Google "Sleep Paralysis" and the first listing will be the Wikipedia definition which is pretty descriptive. I am 31 and taking 2mg/day Subutex. I've been addicted to opioids for about 6 years now, 3 of which have been Sub. When I first started taking Sub I never thought I would be on it this long and I thought there was maybe something wrong with me for not giving it up already. However, i've been finding out that it is "ok" and more and more common for people to be on Sub long-term despite what others will say about it. I like what Sub has done for me, it has taken my self-destructive lifestyle and turned it into a constructive one.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I find that people who are against suboxone therapy, either for short term detox or long term maintenance generally are either uneducated about the true powers of opiate addiction, or are themselves on it, trying to get off it thinking that it is a miracle drug and they are now cured (they aren't having cravings!). Now that they are cured they again show their lack of education in expecting to stop taking it and be instantly back to normal again! The moment they experience a little discomfort, they remember the pains and life-ending anxieties of the short-acting opiates and thinking that this is all the same! Once more the cravings are back, they have no tools to deal with them, so they jump online to annouce that Suboxone has ruined their lives.

MY PERSONAL *NON-MEDICAL* opinion (based on PERSONAL experience *individual results may vary*) is as follows:

-Suboxone should ALWAYS be accompanied by SERIOUS therapy/out-patient treatment. What good is sub if you are still the same addict a year later when it is time to quit the subs??? People get complacent taking subs, and forget they are an addict.

-KEEP A LEVEL HEAD. Remember you are an addict. Sub does something to us humans, which we feel very empowered after only a few months, like we have got this thing LICKED, and now we should stop the sub and everything will be normal again, like the good old days..... F*** the good old days. Yes I wish I could go back, but I know that my brain will ALWAYS remember the euphoric bliss. I wish I could forget, but I can't. Sub can make people complacent.

-Remind yourself daily, of the destruction caused by opiate addiction, AS WELL as the NON-MIRACLE DRUG status of suboxone. It is only a tool. You can't do jobs of any significance with only one tool. Let logic, as well as objective thinking guide your views on Suboxone and your recovery steps.

Take Care.

-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've had Sleep Paralysis a couple times in my life... it's the one of most horrifying experiences. But it was long before I began a Sub treatment.

It's like those stories you hear on the "wacky channel" about people being abducted. They "wake up" seeing an "alien" at their bed and they cannot move... scream... no matter how hard they try to fight it.

Though mine were never about being abducted. lol.

Last edited by EMT-Steven on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Scary Stuff isn't it? Yea, for a while there I was getting them almost every night... sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row before I could fall asleep. Yikes! It was pretty much the same every time - I would "wake up" with everything in the room in its rightful place.. I am terrified.. goosebumps, cold sweats, can't move. Something's poking me under the sheets... I struggle to move but can't. I try to yell for help but I can't... I pray to God in my mind for help, for I think I am being possessed... wait, I can move my finger a bit.... Then I wake up. Every once in a while I would get a pleasant experience, which makes me want to induce another episode out of curiosity lol. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

expound on the "pleasant experience"... I read quite a bit on this, and I didn't ever see anyone reporting a pleasant experience. They were all nightmarish, or neutral at best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I didn't know that sleep paralysis was a real thing...i get it every couple weeks but just thought it was a random thing that only happend to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rationale -
I can remember a couple pleasant experiences I have had with Sleep Paralysis. Here is one, for example . . .I "wake up" feeling pretty good, everything is in view in my room as if I were actually awake, and I can clearly hear some awesome music playing.... It was so vivid that I actually, in my half-dream state, thought I was fully awake! I didn't have goose bumps like I usually do, nor was I scared. I was blissful. The extremely confusing part was waking up to complete silence, trying to figure out if someone in the house was actually playing music. It seemed so real. That music was cool as hell too. This was one of the very seldom times I was able to enjoy an SP episode...

Hawker1-
As you have found out, you're not alone! I would say that I have had somewhere in the ballpark of a couple hundred or so episodes of Sleep Paralysis in my life... most of which were brought on by opioid use, especially Bupe.

Post subject: sleep paralysis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I use to get sleep paralysis all the time when I was on Hvdro, and then Methadone. I haven't had an epsiode since I ahve been on suboxone. My Doctor said that sleparalysis was a sign of narcolepsy. I don't know, just happy I don't get them anymore, they are very scary when they happen. The worst for myself was the begining, when you could fill it coming on.

Later,
Baron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Faeked wrote:
Scary Stuff isn't it? Yea, for a while there I was getting them almost every night... sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row before I could fall asleep. Yikes! It was pretty much the same every time - I would "wake up" with everything in the room in its rightful place.. I am terrified.. goosebumps, cold sweats, can't move. Something's poking me under the sheets... I struggle to move but can't. I try to yell for help but I can't... I pray to God in my mind for help, for I think I am being possessed... wait, I can move my finger a bit.... Then I wake up. Every once in a while I would get a pleasant experience, which makes me want to induce another episode out of curiosity lol. =)

Yeah, mine were also "something touching me" through the blankets... like grabbing my leg.

If you want VIVID dreams... and your a smoker trying to quit like I was... try the nicotine patches.
Throw one on before bed and you will have the most realistic dreams in your life! You would swear you were awake!

One time I took a nap with one on. Well I was "woken up" by my girlfriend coming in the bedroom. She sexually slid up the bed giving me "that look" until she was laying on top of me. We had the most intense sex EVER! It was so awesome. I was then jerked awake... she was gone.. the door was closed... I was still fully dressed.
I had to get up and run out the door and ask her if she was just in the room. Of course she said no. I then began to explain what just happened. She was laughing and VERY flattered.

My god it was amazing and sooo vivid too!!!

But you do have to be careful because if you have a nightmare with a patch on... you'll never want to go to sleep again!!!

Post subject: People Bashing Sub
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:31 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi guys,

I just wanted to comment on some of the posts made. I have been on Sub for about 3, well maybe 4 years now. I certainly believe that it saved my life and I also believe it to be a "miracle drug". I do, however, think that Suboxone is not completely understood by most medical professionals today.

It is a fairly new drug with FDA approval beginning at around 1999? Could someone verify that please (release sooner in Europe I know).

Opiates destroyed my life and killed some of my best friends. Within 5 years nearly everyone I knew was using/abusing opiates. I'm talking a lot of straight laced people with college educations and professional careers such as myself. Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, IT Professionals... It effected everyone it seemed.

Anyway, Suboxone has allowed me to become quite successful in my life at 29 years old, it gave back to me the things which full blown opiod agonists took away. That was life and the ambition and willingness to live it.

However, today (present times) I find myself struggling with issues related to sleeping. Mainly not being able to wake up or get out of be if you will and sleeping for long periods of time. Sometimes I will sleep for 4-5 hours and sometimes I can sleep for a full 24 hours!!! :!: :?: :!: :?:

I am not kidding at all. Before, it was drugs that had ruined my life, now these sleeping issues have caused me to lose 2, maybe 3 jobs over the past 2 years as well as other things in my life that mattered to me.

I will never "knock" suboxone because it DID save my life and has helped me maintain for such a long time. But, again, I think that the long term effects of Suboxone on individuals has not yet been studied properly. It was such a breakthrough for Addiction Medicine that the FDA approved it very quickly with almost no long term studies.

I have spoke with others on the forum regarding my "sleeping problems" and actually found others whom have the same symptoms that I do. I am looking for more individuals with the same issues or people whom have had sleeping problems on Sub and no longer take it and do not have sleeping problems any longer.

My apologies for the long post, I just have a lot to say... :wink:

Respectfully,

PAINguin

-Edmund Burke
1729-1797

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too experience SP. I didn't know it had a name untill now. It usually hits me within an hour or so of falling asleep and some nights it happens repeatedly, over and over and over again. I thought for the longest time, I had seen a ghost in my house, and it had me paralized with fear. The fact is, I was dreaming it and thought I was awake. I seriously thought I was losing my mind for a while. I happens so freiquently that I expect it every night. If I havent been getting enough sleep for a few days and then have a night to catch up, it hits me hard. It must be the fact that I was over tired to begin with. Just last night I thought my GF was talking to me telling me to turn the TV down, I feel her shake my foot and everything. But it never happened.

Some times its really scary, and others it just a pain in the butt. On some occations I actually enjoy it. I feel as though I can actually controll it.

I have found that setting the Sleep timer on the TV to 60 minutes helps prevent it. The noise and light from the TV must make my brain not be able to focus on whatever it is it focus on to cause SP. Then the TV shuts off (which usually wakes me up) and that hour has passed.

I have been on Suboxone for over 5 years and the SP only happend once (the ghost thing) before I started taking it.
I have been doing a taper for a while now, and as the dose gets lower, the dreams get more vivid. I can atribute this to the fact that my body is lacking the amount of sub and I an a bit apreahensive about the Jump anyway..

Thats just my experiance, Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

How do I turn sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming? I get sleep paralysis often and I read that you can turn into lucid dreaming.. does anyone know how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I never experienced sleep paralysis before taking subs - Even on as much oxy I took. I first experienced it about 6 months ago (I've been on subs for 8 months). It happened when my son was in the hospital and I was extremely sleep deprived!! I thought I was having a seizure because I knew I was asleep but I couldn't get myself to wake up! I could feel my body lying there and I kept telling myself to just move SOMETHING to snap out of it. Eventually I was able to wake up. It scared the shit out of me. I didn't get it again for a month. And since then I've gotten it maybe once a month. One time I got SP and felt someone touch me. I thought it was real and when I was eventually able to wake myself up I realized I was in the room alone. But during the paralysis the room looked the same, the TV was on like it was in real life and I felt my girlfriend touch my rib. When I woke up I just watched TV for awhile to snap out of it. I read up on SP and read that people have experienced a feeling like someone is touching them or a dark figure in the room. I don't have the dark figure thank god. But I think it's related to lack of sleep. I personally take subs right as I go to sleep. I don't know why but I feel like it works out better so I don't have to find a time to take it during the day and not talk to anyone. But subs are opiates and maybe the opiate triggers some people who experience SP to have them more frequently. I would find out what triggers it IF you can locate a trigger and stay away from it. Glad to know some of you out there experience this too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You know, I forgot that I got Sleep Paralysis a few times when I first started taking sub. I feel like I may have gotten it once or twice recently, but cannot be for sure. Its weird stuff. I have a friend who claims he gets it very frequently when sleeping in a car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've had sleep paralysis my entire life and you are correct . Suboxone 110 percent causes it for me more frequently . I used to think I was alone with this sleep paralysis thing .It's nice to know others experience this horrifying disorder.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also dealing with this my entire life I have tips . When it happens , force yourself to get up and walk around before trying to go back to sleep .In my experience almost 100 percent of the time if you allow yourself to fall immediately back to sleep the episode will repeat.