It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sub advice please
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Looking for suggestions...i detoxed from roxies a little over a year ago and during my "clean" time i struggled with cravings pretty bad and decided to look into sub as maint. Anyhow, i ended up seeing a doc and got a script for subutex which i never took. So fast forward a few months and i ended up caving and went on about a 3 month bender eating an OP 40 everyday. Never less, never more. Well once again i caught myself and stopped. Within 24 hours my wd's were pretty bothersome mostly GI upset and the normal teary eye runny nose bit so i took .5 milligrams of subutex and it literally snapped me strait ( such a powerful drug) my ? Is where should i go from here?

Post subject: Suboxone Saves...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ladianios.

What's up?

It sounds like you have had certainly had some bad experiences with wd's associated with the Roxies and Opana.

I was taking strong opiates and abusing them, and also going into wd's, then I found suboxone and this forum, and has helped me tremendously.

There are many great threads on here about how suboxone has saved peoples lives, including mine.

Suboxone is a good medicine when used under the supervision of a good doctor.

This could be a good medicine for you to use to become sober and not need the other drugs you mentioned.

You will find much support here from many people experienced in suboxone and stories about how they have recovered from a life of addicition, etc.

I encourage you to read some of them to increase your knowledge about suboxone and how helpful it can be for you.

I would like to suggest you talk with your doctor or a counselor in drug addiction and get their input about suboxone, I am a firm believer that there is no substitute for their additional advise.

Synonyms:

UM-952;Lepetan;rx6029m;Subutex;Temgesi;Buprenex;NIH-8805;Temgesic;CL-112302;Buprenorfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey welcome!

Congrats on staying clean so long. Nearly a year with no Sub? Way to go. No matter what decision you make with your treatment, don't forget that you ARE capable of dealing with cravings. To get by fighting on nearly a year, only to stumble and suffer a 3 month relapse... Don't forget how far you've come.

Now as for Sub treatment. This really depends on you as a person, and what you think you're capable of. If you think you can stay clean and fight on through the inevitable cravings, then I'd suggest only using Subutex as a detox aid. For me, that means not taking it more than a week, only using small doses to relieve the OP withdrawals.

However if you feel "unsure" of you ability to stay on the path, I'd consider using Suboxone as a bit of a circuit breaker. This means spending 2-3 months continuing to take Subutex / Suboxone, or however long it takes for you to get your life back "on the rails", get some good habits back in place etc. You can then look at doing a gradual taper over another 2 months, OR if you like the quality of life on Suboxone, you could consider long term maintenance.

Long term maintenance comes at a cost though. I do feel that the longer you stay on Sub, the harder it becomes to get off it. You can end up becoming quite comfortable in the Suboxone world. I think it's also a shame if someone who's capable of staying clean without Sub ends up on maintenance. WHY? We talked about it in another thread. But IMO being on buprenorphine does dull emotions a bit, put a bit of "cotton wool" between you and the world etc. It can also be quite expensive, means seeing a doctor every month (more $) and means having gunk sit in your mouth for at least 30 minutes a day. There's also some side-effects for some people, like loss of libido, constipation etc. There's been a LOT of different side-effects posted here over the years but most people don't have many problems at all.

It's an important choice you gotta make, and there are benefits and drawbacks whichever way you go. The main benefit to staying on Sub is that it manages your cravings somewhat (not 100% but a fair bit). But it comes at a cost.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay pretty much covered all the bases, the only thing I would add is that if .5mg hit you that hard, I'd make sure I keep my dose of Subutex very low. A friend of mine from NA only takes a small piece of his Suboxone every 2nd or 3rd day and for the first time in a long time, he's doing really good. The only problem with being on a really low dose is that you may experience some cravings. If you can't manage those cravings, you may need a bit higher dose of Suboxone (Subutex).