It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:05 am 
Can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7714228

Abstract
Opiates were used to treat major depression until the mid-1950s. The advent of opioids with mixed agonist-antagonist or partial agonist activity, with reduced dependence and abuse liabilities, has made possible the reevaluation of opioids for this indication. This is of potential importance for the population of depressed patients who are unresponsive to or intolerant of conventional antidepressant agents. Ten subjects with treatment-refractory, unipolar, nonpsychotic, major depression were treated with the opioid partial agonist buprenorphine in an open-label study. Three subjects were unable to tolerate more than two doses because of side effects including malaise, nausea, and dysphoria. The remaining seven completed 4 to 6 weeks of treatment and as a group showed clinically striking improvement in both subjective and objective measures of depression. Much of this improvement was observed by the end of 1 week of treatment and persisted throughout the trial. Four subjects achieved complete remission of symptoms by the end of the trial (Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression scores < or = 6), two were moderately improved, and one deteriorated. These findings suggest a possible role for buprenorphine in treating refractory depression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on Sub for about 6 wks now.16 mg.I can say with all honesty that its alleviated my depression and for the first time-even since using-I am happy and dare I say CONTENT.I am grateful for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I found this abstract to be interesting. For example, I did not know that opiates were used to
treat major depression until the mid-1950s.

I have been on Suboxone for almost 7 years; I am currently on 4 mg per day.
Both me and my sub doctor have both agreed that Suboxone is, indeed,
helping my major depression. I am also on Celexa and Trazodone, which are both anti-depressants.
Unfortuately, at some point- due to my insurance- I know that I am going to have to go off of Subs,
since I highly doubt that I will be able to pay for them in cash.
It will be a real challenge to deal with my depression when I do go off of Subs.

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:17 am 
I think the really interesting thing about this study is that no patient was dosed in excess of 1.8 mg per day.

I don't remember if it was this study or a different one, but I read a study in which some patients were actually instructed to INSUFFLATE the buprenorphine. I think it was this study, I will re-read it and report back (if I remember)..but ROA is in there.