It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had sometimes paralyzing vivid dreams. i know this is a big topic if its related to suboxone but i just wanted some more input. A couple hours ago i had a wicked dream the whole time some really horrible sh*t was happening and it sounds dumb but im almost to afraid to fall asleep for a while. i knew i was in my dream stuck after a little bit of it with some weird stuff going on and i knew the people aorund me really were not my kids or my family i kept trying to yell for someone in my dream and i would tell myself to wake up but it felt like years!! finally when i did i was unsure if i was really awake or my mind was still playing tricks on me for about 10 mins. its like my dreams were making me think i was waking up but then id get up relieved and weird horrible stuff would slowly start happening n i realized i was still stuck in this god damn dream!!! ive never dealt with one this bad before has anyone else? i thought i was lost in a G.D dream or coma! i know i probably sound crazy lol but any advice honestly? because this was TERRIFYING!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jesseca wrote:
I have had sometimes paralyzing vivid dreams. i know this is a big topic if its related to suboxone but i just wanted some more input. A couple hours ago i had a wicked dream the whole time some really horrible sh*t was happening and it sounds dumb but im almost to afraid to fall asleep for a while. i knew i was in my dream stuck after a little bit of it with some weird stuff going on and i knew the people aorund me really were not my kids or my family i kept trying to yell for someone in my dream and i would tell myself to wake up but it felt like years!! finally when i did i was unsure if i was really awake or my mind was still playing tricks on me for about 10 mins. its like my dreams were making me think i was waking up but then id get up relieved and weird horrible stuff would slowly start happening n i realized i was still stuck in this god damn dream!!! ive never dealt with one this bad before has anyone else? i thought i was lost in a G.D dream or coma! i know i probably sound crazy lol but any advice honestly? because this was TERRIFYING!
mY EX WAS ALSO INVOLVED WITH THIS AND BAD THINGS FROM M?Y PAST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nightmares have been known to happen before Suboxone was around.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I aint sure what type of medicine that you might be on other than Suboxone, BUT I know that when I was on Zoloft and Prozac I had no dreams or nightmares whatsoever. I was having terrible nightmares to the point that I was waking up screaming and scaring my husband half to death. When I went to my doctors appointment that month, I was telling her about it. She upped my dose I believe when I was on Prozac and they stopped. I have terrible dreams that my husband is going to leave me or that he wont have anything to do with me.
My husband and I have an amazing relationship and we are so close. i guess its an inner fear of mine, him leaving basically. Im not saying to get on something else, but I know that those two did help me. The Prozac I had to stop taking because it gave me horrid gas. The Zoloft isnt that bad, but my new doc doesnt prescribe it to me so i had to stop taking it.
I just know that those two meds did help me with bad dreams. I hope that you get it figured out, nightmares can be terrible to deal with. Might be something underlying that you need to speak about with someone as well.

Post subject: Intense dreams
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I also have intense dreams and suboxone is the only medication I am on. The same thing happens, where I will think I have woken up, but quickly realize I am still stuck in a crazy, vivid dream! I have done some research because it appears I was also having some "hypnogagic" hallucinations as well. It can be quite terrifying and makes me not want to go back to sleep. My wife told me I shake in my sleep, so I told her when I am doing that, please wake me up right away, because likely I am having a terrifying, realistic dream!

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm 

What hasn't been asked is how much Suboxone are you taking? And what drug/s were you using and how much? I ask because opiates have always been known to cause very vivid dreams. A lot of hospitals stopped using morphine because so many patients complained of hallucinations and nightmare dreams. At least that is what my nurse told me the last time I had surgery. They are now using Demerol as their main pain reliever.

If I take an extra dose of Suboxone in the evening then I too will have weird vivid dreams. Not so much bad, just weird like I'm still awake.

Rule

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

TeeJay wrote:

Please don't post on here if its anything ignorant and rude. You have no idea what im talking about I was asking if anyone else had an experience like mine. This was not just a "bad" dream more like a night terror but ive never had one in my life ever before.

They continue still but I seem to control them better.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jesseca,

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with the very real, vivid, and scary dreams. I am having them also and have been writing about them in my own thread in the Stopping Suboxone section of this forum.

I was on a high dose of 24mgs of Suboxone for almost 3 years and tapered down to 2mg and was stuck there a while. Not once do I ever remember having any of these dreams. I'm not a person that dreams anyway, so when I began having these once I got to 2mg, and then especially began tapering lower, I really began to take notice.

My dreams aren't any of the kind you might want to be having, it's just the opposite in fact, they are literally scaring the hell out of me! They are terrifying!!! I have woken up in the middle of the night shaking, crying, and having to get up and turn lights on and search around my house because I thought someone may be in it that wanted to harm me. I felt like a fool looking under my bed a few times.

In my dreams I have been shot at, stabbed, someone tried to run over me with their car, and most recently I have been chased thru the mall by someone with a knife that wanted my subs. They are soooo real and life-like, and and I fully understand what your talking about Jesseca. So please know that your not alone in this. There are others here too that say the same thing.

I have no idea how to explain it, and like I said, I'm not a "dreamer" anyway so this is completely out of the ordinary. I sure hope they pass soon too. Maybe once I get off the subs they will? I'm down to 1.75mg today and plan on reducing again tomorrow morning.

I'm with you Jesseca and hope it helps to hear your not alone. Talk to me anytime about them if you need to. I'm here for you and do understand exactly what your going thru right now. Take care and hope you feel better real soon.

Karen
xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

"Sleep Paralysis" is what I've dealt with my whole life. This is where you "wake up" paralyzed and your environment looks the same as it does when you were truly awake though you may feel vibrations, have terrible fear, and you're covered in goosebumps (plus the lighting may be different). I would have these episodes way more on certain opiates than others, Buprenorphine being the king. Sometimes they would recur 4, 5, 6 times in a row where I'd have to get out of bed and roam around a bit or smoke a cigarette to break the vicious cycle. I was terrified of these episodes for a while but later on I realized it was a gateway to an "out of body" experience. But that's a whole other story :). Needless to say, I smell what you guys are stepping in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So interesting to see this thread. I had my first sleep paralysis experience ever, a couple weeks ago. I wasn't on anything at all (no sub, meds of any kind, etc..), it just happened one night. I was dreaming there was a squirrel snuggling into my neck/ shoulder, similar to how my cats would do, but I was a little freaked because it was a wild squirrel and didn't know what it would do.. anyway, I woke up mid dream but was still in the dream. I wanted to turn my head to the left to see if there was anything on my shoulder (because I felt like there was) and I couldn't turn my head. I had no control over my body. I tried to call out for my husband and I couldn't make a sound. It was the WEIRDEST thing I've ever experienced. Luckily it only lasted seconds but it was very real and very scary.

I googled it the next day because I was so freaked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TD you crack me up. Most of the sleep paralysis dreams I've ever had, or heard of, involve feeling some kind threatening presence.....your threatening presence was a wee, baby squirrel. Snuggling up to you, no less!! You're a hoot, dude!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Haha! I know, sounds kind of silly, huh? But, yeah, it wasn't the dream that was scary, it was waking up not able to move! lol I've never experienced it before.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TeeJay wrote:

Love this. Made me laugh!!!! X

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

To honest i been having dreams that I forget but have flashes of the dream for a split second. I know it's bad but I just can't what what it is. Does that make sense? I'm on suboxone 8 mg n have been for 2 n half months xxx

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had my share of nightmares. But since starting suboxone (I'm 4 months in) they have progressed to night terrors. Very real, even feel pain. Examples: was in a tornado and even felt my stomach drop when it tossed me aside. Was awake during surgery & felt myself being cut. Was being possessed by evil & resisted as long as I could before I felt it enter me and my personality change. And even was in the hunger game arena and was forced to kill others to survive. Talk about sick. My husband wakes me up when I scream. My pillow is wet with tears. I am on 8mg. Sometimes I forget my dose and I think they occur more then. But I'm really not sure. Just looking for answers. I also have really bad Hypnic jerks when I get tired. It's really embarrassing when I just jump up in my seat from one of them. Sometimes it's my whole body. Others it's just my arm or a leg. But they are so intense & sudden that I gasp sometimes & scare others around me. So no, you are def not alone!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I feel everyone on here that tell all there horrible story's of bad dreams/night terrors. I am recently new to subs, been on them for about 4 days now and I'm taking 16mg a day. Ever sense I started on subs I've had nothing but nightmares. Even when I just close my eyes and started to drift off I'll see scary things. Is there anything I can do to help with these nightmares? Any secret? Please I need some advice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 pm 

Andy, I'm sorry you're struggling with terrible dreams and I wish I knew something that was a surefire cure for it. I'm going to throw out a couple of ideas, but I have no idea if they will work for you.

Have you tried reading right before you sleep. I don't know if it would make a difference if you read something funny or something really boring. If your mind goes to sleep processing something different than your own usual thoughts, it might be helpful.

My other suggestion depends on your desire to try something. I don't know if you are a religious or spiritual man, Andy, but I'm thinking that some sort of prayer or meditation might really calm your mind before sleep and put your brain in a better state before sleep.

I don't have the same problem with the terrible dreams (most of the time), but I do sometimes have panic attacks that creep up on me while I'm trying to get to sleep. I do have xanax for that, but sometimes all it takes is for me to throw my brain into a different process. For example, instead of thinking about how I'm feeling, which only exacerbates the panic attack, I think about how I would spend the money if I won the lottery. I actually think of specific numbers and estimate how much would go in taxes and what I would give to different charities and my family and friends. Basically, I'm doing math. It works almost every time.

I hope that any of these suggestions is helpful for you! Welcome to the forum too. I hope you stick around and let us know more about you. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

funny you should mention the doing math thing Amy, I've done the same thing when feeling nervous trying to fall asleep before. only I'd go for example 4+4=8/ 8+8=16/16+16=32etc,etc,etc till I couldn't go any higher in my head and I'd calm right down and fall asleep. really does work. I forget where I got that idea, but I thought it was bs till I tried it. I've also taken a word like" pat" for example and gone thru the whole alphabet rhyming as many words as possible with it till I got to Z then start over with another word,ex; at ,bat ,cat drat, fat, hat,etc . nerdy...yes... but it sure will calm the mind and put you you sleep! sure beats lying there scared to death of having bad dreams our not being able to sleep at all. just an idea Amy reminded me of, hope it helps.ya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just before I jumped I started having extremely scary, vivid life like dreams. I'm assuming they were dreams. It's hard to distinguish reality from dreams. I would wake up, and not be able to move or breath. It would last for about a minute then I would start gasping for air then the rest I don't remember. It happened at-least 5 times. I thought I was having a stroke every time it happened.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy! I will definitely try reading before I go to bed. I'm not much of a reader but I'll do anything if it helps me to fall asleep and not have horrid nightmares. Oh and meditation would be a great thing to try too. I loved doing that in my out patient program I was doing. We would do it in the mornings before we started group. It was so relaxing and made you FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!!! :)