It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stuck on 2mgs a day.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been taking 2mgs of suboxone daily for 13 months now, I would really like some help because I don't know what to do. I was on opiates for 5 years before getting on suboxone. I'm 23 . I just want to get off , I'm at 2mgs and can't find a Taper plan. Please help.

Post subject: Re: Stuck on 2mgs a day.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Darin

Welcome to the forum. Can I ask why you want to get off of sub? One more question, what is you plan to stay sober if you stop suboxone? The sub us currently helping you to not relapse. What will you do to not relapse if you no longer have sub helping you to do that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:50 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Are you prescribed Subs or are you on your own with them? If you're on your own, I can give you lots of advice on when it's the right time to taper. Mostly, it's what you think you can handle based on how you feel, your "baseline" so to speak. You want to cut down, and you will 100% feel crappy when you do, but what I've found, at least at higher doses 10-15% until 1MG and then 15-20% until .50MG and then closer to 20-30% below .50MG has worked for me. I'm at .08MG right now.

If you don't know how to get your doses that low, check out the liquid taper method if you have strips available. If you have pills, you CAN try it, but I don't think it will be optimal.

Alternatively, you can cut strips down to .05MG fairly easily. I used to do it. I'd think you can probably go lower with the strips as well, but it would result in larger steps, while the liquid can be smaller steps.

evolved.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

donh wrote:
Darin

Welcome to the forum. Can I ask why you want to get off of sub? One more question, what is you plan to stay sober if you stop suboxone? The sub us currently helping you to not relapse. What will you do to not relapse if you no longer have sub helping you to do that?

Donh, I will be getting a vivatral shot once I get off the suboxone so I won't relapse. It blocks receptors for 6 months and kinda helps with cravings. I have no cravings what so ever as of right now. I just want to get off. Its been 7 years since I've felt normal. I'm Down to taking 1.5mgs a day. I am not prescribed . I get the 8mg tablets. 2 of the 8mg tabs usually last me around 10 days. Its hard splitting the tablets into 1mg pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

evolvedrevolver wrote:
Are you prescribed Subs or are you on your own with them? If you're on your own, I can give you lots of advice on when it's the right time to taper. Mostly, it's what you think you can handle based on how you feel, your "baseline" so to speak. You want to cut down, and you will 100% feel crappy when you do, but what I've found, at least at higher doses 10-15% until 1MG and then 15-20% until .50MG and then closer to 20-30% below .50MG has worked for me. I'm at .08MG right now.

If you don't know how to get your doses that low, check out the liquid taper method if you have strips available. If you have pills, you CAN try it, but I don't think it will be optimal.

Alternatively, you can cut strips down to .05MG fairly easily. I used to do it. I'd think you can probably go lower with the strips as well, but it would result in larger steps, while the liquid can be smaller steps.

evolved.

Hey, thanks for responding. I get them from somebody. I have made 2 of the 8mg tablets last me 10-11 days. So I've been doing 1.5mgs. I usually crush up 4mgs into powder and 4 equal lines so that each line is 1mg. I then figure out how much I think 1.5 mgs would be and the. Split that 1.5 mgs in half. Then I scrape the 0.75Mgs into a piece of paper and dump it under tongue . I do that around 10am and then again at 8pm. Sometimes it changes . restless legs are driving me insane .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Donh, I will be getting a vivatral shot once I get off the suboxone so I won't relapse. It blocks receptors for 6 months and kinda helps with cravings. I have no cravings what so ever as of right now. I just want to get off. Its been 7 years since I've felt normal. I'm Down to taking 1.5mgs a day. I am not prescribed . I get the 8mg tablets. 2 of the 8mg tabs usually last me around 10 days. Its hard splitting the tablets into 1mg pieces.

@darin91 -- I've never heard of this approach (Vivatral). Can you elaborate? Is this effective for helping with PAWS, etc? Is it expensive? How is it different than being on Suboxone? Thanks!!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:14 pm 

You're young and should be able to taper and be okay IMO. Read the taper threads already posted and that should give you some idea on how to do it. Slow and steady is the best.

Like the others said, what is your recovery plan after you stop? Support and some kind of program to help with your way of thinking is a necessity. NA, or there are many other programs to choose from. Would you like a list of them?

rule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to address the questions about the vivitrol shot. I was curious about it myself after seeing it talked about here a couple years ago. Many people are under the assumption that it will help with cravings, but from what I have read that is simply not true. All vivitrol does is block the opiate receptors, making it impossible to get high or feel any effects from opiates. It does not block cravings or help in any way with withdrawal symptoms or PAWS. In fact, the relapse rates for patients using vivitrol is pretty high.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use it. I just want to be sure you have the correct information about what it will do for you. I have heard of uninformed doctors claiming that it helps with cravings. Do the research about it for yourself before you waste your money, it is very expensive and usually isn't covered by insurance.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
I just wanted to address the questions about the vivitrol shot. I was curious about it myself after seeing it talked about here a couple years ago. Many people are under the assumption that it will help with cravings, but from what I have read that is simply not true. All vivitrol does is block the opiate receptors, making it impossible to get high or feel any effects from opiates. It does not block cravings or help in any way with withdrawal symptoms or PAWS. In fact, the relapse rates for patients using vivitrol is pretty high.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use it. I just want to be sure you have the correct information about what it will do for you. I have heard of uninformed doctors claiming that it helps with cravings. Do the research about it for yourself before you waste your money, it is very expensive and usually isn't covered by insurance.

Q

Thank you, Q!!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Break your pill or strip in pieces and just try and wait longer between each dose. I was in your position also. Its do able!! I got to .75-.5mg and didn't dose for three days. Messed up and took a dose in the early morning but you can do it if you are invested!. Talk to your doc about getting some clodoine and a anxiety medication, it does wonders trying to stop.