It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. Man this is the worst I felt through this whole process mentally. I hope I dont sound like a broken record, but man this sucks right now. I feel so negative. I feel like mentally I am craving more and more everyday. Im sure this is all in my head. I just dont want to relapse. I am so paranoid of it. I dont contact any drug dealers or anything. Sometimes though I am afraid I am going to snap. I hope this gets better. Is this common to think about opiates all day and feel crumby all the time?

Post subject: No it shouldn't
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 am 

Hi CB82,

No, it is not normal to feel the urge to use all the time. I have not read your other posts so I don't know if you are still on Suboxone and on what dose. If you are on 4 mg's and up then you shouldn't be feeling any cravings. Below that, and you run the risk of having cravings. That isn't true for everyone but it's what I've seen so far. If you don't mind me asking, what dose are you currently on?

Some more info about you will help us help you.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey ... I don't think it's that abnormal, even for people on Sub. When Sub is at the right dose, it helps manage cravings. But people can still get cravings. I think the difference is that Sub, for the most part, should help a person manage those cravings without using.

If you're on a decent dose of Suboxone and you're still getting those overwhelming cravings and yes/no's, there are a few reasons I can think of that might contribute. Breakthrough pain is one. Also psychiatric issues are often a trigger for many people, as are stressful events. ie if a person's only ever dealt with relationship breakups by self-destructing and using drugs, then the moment it happens they'll wanna turn to drugs instinctively regardless of whether their cravings are managed. That's the psychological aspect, which Sub doesn't address directly.

For many years buprenorphine wasn't enough to keep me out of addiction. I was too absorbed in the culture, and using was too much a part of my identity. I was also fixated on the ritual of using, and the chaos and the excitement and the drama. I also hated society and the world. There was still a lot of stuff drawing me back towards drugs aside from my cravings. It's for this reason I kept using constantly while on Sub / methadone, and eventually dropped off the program.

The other thing is that maybe your level of dependence is too high to be maintained by Sub treatment at at this point in your recovery. This is true for many heroin addicts with large habits. They seem to do better on methadone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry i did not clarify, but I have been off of suboxone for 8 months. 8 months and 4 days today. Thanks for the responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most of us have underlying issues/problems that led us to using in the first place. Many addicts suffer from depression/anxiety or other mental health issues. If we stop the drugs and don't deal with any of the underlaying issues we don't really recover from our addictions and the urge to use is always there. I would strongly suggest getting to a 12-step group meeting, or a therapist or whatever other kind of help you can reach out for. I think effectively no one recovers from addiction on a do-it-yourself basis. You haven't used yet - get some help - tell a recovering addict or professional that you have this craving. You can head off a major relapse, but you have to work at it. Hoping things will get better doesn't help. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the reality of it - I relapsed 4 months off of Sub and wish I had done things differently.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This might sound like a real "no brainer" of a question, but is there anything going on in your life at the moment that is triggering? Anything stressful? Anything that reminds you of using?

Are you simply in a "funk" and craving as a result? Or vice versa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It is mostly the cravings that are stressing me out. Sometimes it feels like im going crazy. I deal with this at least once a day. I have not had a good day in a while. I feel like im declining not inproving. But i will not give up. I am working hard on becoming a new me. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you've put in all this hard work and have accomplished 8 months of clean time only to be battling these urges. I am almost in my 6th month. I can't say that I never think about opiates, that would be a lie, but I don't have these urges- yet anyway. I did just start dealing with depression though and am learning how to deal with it for the first time. It's quite a battle at times.

How long were you sub for? Do you have a lot of distance between that old lifestyle of using or is it not that far behind you? Not that it matters, I am just curious.

Hang in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on sub for 16 months. I got off in mAy 2012. I will get through this. Thats awesome that you have 6 months. They are urges, but I think they are mostly anxiety. I have been having them for 8 weeks roughly. I will hang on. I want this more than anything. I look at it as if I use again I will die. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are making out. everyone take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There is nothing that has changed in that time frame that has caused the cravings to increase?

School start up again? New job, or problems at your current one? Family members giving you stress? Or just regular life?

I ask again because, if there is something specific you can pin point, then it may help a lot more than just lumping it all under "general life", ya feel me?

Stay strong either way. VERBALIZE TO YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE HAVING A CRAVING. Say it out loud: "Man, I really would like some dope right now, BUT..." If you say it out loud it makes it real. Saying it to another person is obviously the best, but if thats not possible (either at that instant or in general) then saying it to yourself is better than keeping it all in your head.

When you do say that also, if you can play out the tape and finish the "but..." then its even better. If you cannot or will not play the tape out though, at minimum vocalize the craving.

Helps me a lot. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is actually pretty normal. I found in my periods of abstinence, I felt these "periods of cravings" come on. They'd build up and get more stressful and difficult over a period of days or weeks, then one day I'd wake up and they'd be gone. I'd get them usually about 3 months, 6 months and 9 months clean.

It's almost like a challenge in your recovery. I do really feel that when you get through these times and don't resort to drugs, your brain actually heals a lot. It's like a challenge you need to go through in order to reach the next level of your recovery.

Beat it, and things will actually be easier. You will wake up and the cravings will be gone. But sometimes it feels like they never go away, but they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I totally agree TJ,

When it peaks like that, that is exactly what I think, it is a major hurdle, that if you get over, it effects are pretty significant.

I have felt this alot, and after you refuse to give up, it feels lke, its a huge step in our recovery.

HS

OP

Hang in there buddy, 8 months is huge, based on your length on subs. You,re a free man, and I am sure that if you go and speak to a DR, about your feelings, before you ever cave, you can do this.

Possibly a short 3 months course of a SSRI will take those blues away,

HS