It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Strips vs Tabs..
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone..this is only my 2nd post but I've been around for awhile now reading..I'm sure this has been discussed before but it's currently a question on my mind.
This could totally be in my head but I feel that the strips work better and last longer in between doses than the tabs..because of my job I travel and in the field a lot. So I will change from strips to tabs that month for the simple convenience of not having to open the strip wrapper when people are all around me..(lack of privacy)..I can just take a tab out and under the tongue no one notices..My issue is though that when I have the tabs they seem to wear off so so much faster then the strips..I'm in 1.5 or 12mg a day. Just to give an example..I usually take my dose around 8am..when I take the strip I'm good all day to when I go to sleep..when I get up at 6am I have the "feeling" it's time for a dose..When I take the tabs 1.5 or 12mg at 8am No joke I have that feeling I'm do for a dose around 5pm..I'm not miserable or in bad WD but it's noticeable ..Anyone else have similar issues?

Post subject: Re: Strips vs Tabs..
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 pm 

Hi DOA,

I too think the films work a bit better but I had no complaints about the tabs. When I switched over my dose was still pretty high so that's why I didn't notice anything. Later on, the films just seem to be strong, IMO.

Putting a few film wrappers in your pocket is easy but be forewarned. If it's not in the prescribed box you're in trouble if the police or customs question it. I learned that by watching Cops on TV!

rule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

With either med you should not be 'feeling' it is time to dose, whether the next morning with the strips or in the afternoon with the tabs. You could review the information on maximizing absorption. If you continue to have the same issue consider asking if you could increase to 16 mg a day, then you would be above the ceiling affect.
What you describe is what I would expect if someone was bouncing back and form with the dosage forms but at 4 mg a day or less.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess I don't know how to describe what I mean but in overall wellness in doing what suboxone is supposed to do the strips seem to me the last couple years at the same dose work but the tabs don't last the full 24 hours before my next dose..that's my point.

Maybe I need to be on 16 instead of 12 but I don't see how I can just go up being I've been on 12mg the last couple years and never really had issues unless I'm taking the tabs ..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm 

I got what you were trying to say, meaning, the "feeling" was the beginning of withdrawal symptoms. When I said the films were strong I meant that if I don't keep busy after about noon time I'll start to feel like I need a nap. Been that way all my life but when taking Suboxone it seems to increase the need to reset my brain.

My wife, who has a Master's degree in Psychology, thinks my brain's need for a nap resulted from all the LSD and other narcotics I took as a juvenile. So there must be a few millions dead brain cells rolling around inside my skull. It does make sense though when I think about it. Or I'm just one of those people who need a nap in the afternoon to be able to function better. My naps are only 20-30 minutes long and I go right under and then straight awake. I do my best work after a short one.

Got off track there but still wanted to make the point of feeling a bit drowsy, not high, when I take my Suboxone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey DanOhioAwesome,

Nice to meet an awesome Dan! Confused about when your work day starts? When you are NOT in the field traveling, do you take your 12mg 1.5 strips - at work - at 8am? Do you have to take it at 8am?

Given its difficult for you to switch between the tabs and film, wondering - can you take your 1.5 strips (12mg) earlier in the am so when you leave to go out in the field traveling you avoid taking it w others at 8am?

I agree w rule and docm2 on it all. Its pretty difficult to explain why 12mg of tabs wore out after only 9 hrs (from 8am - 5pm). Are you maximizing tab absorption? Especially given you're covertly taking it so guessing you're not able to maximize absorption bc how much tongue painting can you do and stay covert? Not sure how watched you are when out in the field. Best always, Pel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nice to meet y'all..Thanks for the responses. Well the only reason I switch from strips to tabs is because the wrappers possibly being exposed etc and not wanting people who not need know I take suboxone finding out..people who need to know do already know. I just find it a pain if I'm with co-workers and don't have a option to slip into bathroom to take out of wrapper so I have to oddly turn away so they don't see..and I only ask for tabs that month when I know I'll be away for work more often that RX time length..usually I have Strips..9months out of the year it isn't an issue.

anyways I don't have to take at 8am..Some days I can't exactly take it but I usually for the last couple years try to around the 7am-10am time frame..

When I take I let it dissolve and let it stay prior to swalloing for,about 12 to 15mins..

So what are some ways to get a better absorption ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DanOhioAwesome,
I'm on the run thru here so read/search on the painting method. Check out the Talkzone at the top. There are articles on optimizing plus in that forum also owned and run by Dr J, there is a search function.

Ya, I for sure get it -- its nobody's business but yours. And it could be harmful if non trusted others know. The film packet works well for storage except its hard to open and take covertly. I still didn't get if you could take the film earlier in the days you travel, when I assume you have a private room or bathroom during morning shower/shave? Or could you change your film dosing to later? at end of day after work? trying to see how you could avoid switching between the 2 bup forms, that's all. Best always, Pel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

DanOhio Awesome. Welcome. 12 mg a day should keep you well above the ceiling at all times if you are absorbing well. Have you thought about splitting your dose. Many of us who are on doses under 8 mg a day dose twice a day. I started out on 16 mg a day then after 2 years decreased to 12 mg a day and then 8 mg a day. I don't know why, but 8 mg seemed like a much stronger dose to me. I felt high about 1-2 hours every day after I dosed. After 3 months my doctor decreased my dose to 6 mg a day and no more high. I never felt like my dose wore off too fast as I took 4 mg in the am and 2 mg in the pm. Currently taking 2 mg in the morning only and sometimes want to take more, but no true withdrawal so I just forget about it and go on with my day. Just my opinion. Best of luck in stabilizing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After reading a few different posts i don't think I'm absorbing correctly. So I've tried the "painting" way and I don't think I am able to control my saliva lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Dan,
Great to see you here. Just wanted to let you know that I was taking generic tabs and recently switched to the strips because I felt like I was absorbing them better ( that is the best way I can describe it). It was an accident, in that I got a week's worth of strips when the pills weren't in stock. I just noticed that I felt better overall, and didn't really have to think about the medication. So I switched over for good and things are going well (other than pharmacy issues). So, I think I get what you are saying, if your experience is like mine.
It really doesn't seem worth it to get the pills, if you can find a way to take the strips. I 100% understand desire for privacy and sharing your treatment with only select people. If you are just taking them one time per day in the morning, couldn't you just take it in the privacy of your hotel room? Or if someone is in your room who you don't want to know about it, just take it in the bathroom in your hotel room. The pills are much easier to carry around and take covertly, but with once a day Suboxone dosing, the hope is that you don't have to carry it around with you and sneak off to the bathroom to take it. That would start to feel too much like addict like behavior (not saying you are behaving like an addict- just trying to make a point). Maybe I missed some reason that you can't take it in your room by yourself in the morning? Good luck and safe travels!
Tragicom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:38 am 

I agree with tragicom. Can't u just take ur medication in the bathroom with u? Nobody will think anything of it, we all have to go to the potty :) If ur getting good absorption with the strips, then stick with the strips and find a time to dose when nobody is around. If it is a situation where u share a hotel room or something like that, there's always times u can be alone in the bathroom, or even when they're in the bathroom. There's shower tIme, potty time, lunch time...... surly ur not surrounded by ppl all day long..... that would drive me a little crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I get your questions and not doing the obvious like going to bathroom etc..but in my field when I say in the field..that's exactly what I'm refering to. Literally in nature with trees and open land. It's not really a big deal more of just a convience issue..ive learned how to open the package and take w/o no one knowing being the wiser. There are other things for instance having to keep wrappers..they start compiling and so then that makes an issue with someone going into my bag to grab equipment (that I direct them to) and,hoping they don't open wrong pouch..

I just wonderd if anyone ever noticed a legit difference between tabs and strips..and I probably worded it wront to begin with. When taking my strip dose. I am fine till my next dose..when I take the same,dose in tab form it varies when I get this filling that it's time,to dose again..just a subtle feeling..nothing painful like w/d but just this internal,timer I guess saying hey it's wearing off maybe should take another..idk..thanks for all the input!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

I think ppl who's used to the strips do sometimes notice a difference if they switch to tablets. The medication is the same, we all realize that, but the way we hold it under our tongue and the way it absorbs more quickly does take readjusting to imo. The strips stick in place and we don't have to worry about one movement possibly spreading the medicine around. Imo, and I know not everyone agrees, but it's just an issue of getting used to it. I do think it could possibly cause a little bit of absorption issues in the beginning because we aren't used to it. But that's just my opinion. I would be fine with either but I understand why everyone has their preference. There's also those that don't like the strips and prefer tablets.... we're all different :)