It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello again. I've been on these boards pretty much non-stop the past few days because I've ran out early and I'm trying to make it thru. Reading posts here has helped me feel better. But my question is this; Has anybody switched from taking the strips to the pills or vice-versa? Last month my doctor had made the suggestion that I could try the pills as opposed to the strips. He suggested this because I was having issues with too much saliva and ended up swallowing my subs too often. So I would take more and run out early. Now this month I've ran out early again because I was stupid. Trust me, lesson learned. Of course now I'm trying to figure out what I am going to do to get thru the next week. I was thinking about calling tomorrow and seeing if they could call me in a few of the pills to try out and see if those help me at all....then if they do maybe make the switch. I've never taken the pills before so I don't know if they are better or worse. Also, I don't know this will even work. They very well could say no because of my pattern of running out early. I've read a few places that people prefer the pills over the strips and I just wonder why? Are they easier to take? Do they work better? Last question; I was never an IV user...so would it be possible for me to take the subutex not the suboxone? I don't know if that's even an option with my doctor but if anybody has any experience or info with that, I am curious what the deal is there too. Thanks for putting up with me the past few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I actually switched from pills to film...back when the film was first introduced (like, early 2012 or whatever)...
The doctor that did it told me that I could try it and if it didn't work for me, or if I just preferred it, that I could switch back to the film if I wanted to...but because of the ease of use, and how easy it is to divide the film up, versus how hard it is to break the pills into the same amounts (I used to have a pill cutter that I carried around with me, but I didn't feel very "clean", when I was carrying around the pills jiggling in my pocket all the time)...
Now, when I leave, I just grab a couple of films and get going if it's a day trip..
Thankfully, like this coming Thursday, I'll have films, so when we leave for the beach Thursday, I can take a few films from the glove box each day, for the 4 days we'll be at the beach house we've rented...and lock the rest in my glove box.

Just a preference I guess...never had much trouble with the film...and I would prefer to stay on them if I were asked, because I can cut them up into smaller doses. When I have my teeth worked on, it's much easier to take small amounts over a period of time to help with the tooth extraction pain, versus taking once or twice daily and having to deal with the pain from having a tooth snatched out.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mizzme!

You might actually find switching to the pills will be counterproductive in your case. The film actually has more bioavailability, meaning you absorb more buprenorphine when taking Sub in film form than you do with the pills.

If you're doctors clued into this fact, he should really increase your dose by 20-30% if you decide to switch to the pills. I found when I first switched from the pills to the film when it was first introduced into my country, I could get by on a reduced dose. ie I only needed 8mg of the film, when I previously needed 10-12mg of the tablets. That's a hefty reduction really. In your case, you'll be moving in the opposite direction - ie film to tablets - so may find you need a higher dose.

As for the "too much saliva" conundrum. Someone recently suggested placing the films against your gums on the upper side of the mouth. I've found that this can prevent the saliva buildup. I've actually been experiencing the same issue as yourself lately. A nasty relapse for the first few months of this year on heroin pushed up my opioid tolerance up somewhat, and I seem to be making a lot more saliva (and watery eyes, nose, you name it) when I take my bupe.

The other thing you can do is "paint" your mouth with your Sub dose. When you get a nice lil reservoir of Sub sitting on the bottom of your mouth, just paint it all around your mouth with your tongue on the top, cheeks, under the tongue ... you name it, paint it. This will increase absorbtion.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

teejay.