It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Strange flu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been reading posts on this site for the past year or so but this latest event has lead me to finally posting something. I have been on 16 mg per day for the past 11 months and I can honestly say that suboxone has helped me out tremendously and I finally got my life back together. However, on Tuesday afternoon I had a wicked stomach ache and I started vomiting and I just thought it was the stomach flu. During the next few days I had all the typical flu like symptoms so I wasn't worrying too much. Yesterday and this morning my anxiety has been through the roof, cold sweats, and continued vomiting is beginning to get me very worried. This is starting to feel like straight withdrawals even though I'm still taking my subs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Help a brother out, this is brutal.

Post subject: Re: Strange flu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey TK,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. It's weird how when we are sick the first thing our mind tells us is how much this feels like WD. I remember being sick during my using days and loading up on more and more pills thinking it would make me feel better. Let's face it, as addicts we've been through WD enough times that any terrible discomfort brings that particular suffering back to mind.

I don't think this could possibly be WD unless you have taken some kind of drug to block the effects of opiates. Do you have a high fever? My fear would be that if it's not just a typical flu you may have some kind of serious infection or problems with a gall bladder. You definitely want to go get checked out with a doctor or ER if you haven't yet.

Keep us posted. I hope you're better soon!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks a lot for the reply Q.

I am waiting to hear back from my sub doc to see what he thinks about all this. You're totally right, I need to get into my doc or the ER before I jump to conclusions. It's just a shitty situation, everything was going so good for a long time. The only reason I thought it was some sort of withdrawals is because of this gut wrenching anxiety.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dude, I get it. Just the fact that you are feeling terrible without an explanation for it is enough to cause anxiety. Then, once the thought pops into your head that the Suboxone isn't working anymore???? That would freak me out too!

You're going to be okay. :D Just be sure you get checked out by someone. I would want a full blood work panel run to rule out any infection or increased levels of anything bad.

My mom had a gall bladder attack a few years ago that included symptoms like you are describing. The nausea and throwing up is one of the main symptoms. I'm no doctor, but it definitely sounds like something is going on here that I would want an answer for. Don't wait around too long for your sub doctor to call you back. Just be sure that if you go in to the ER you let them know you are on Suboxone. Maybe take a minute and print out some info from Dr. Junig's website about being treated while on buprenorphine in case they aren't familiar with it. You can find a link to his site The Suboxone Talk-Zone, on our index page.

Praying you get some answers today!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:09 pm 

Hey there T :)

I know u gotta be scared thinking ur going through some kind of withdrawal. But I wanted to tell u about this flu that's going around in my area. Its just like ur describing and it can last up to two weeks. The shortest I have heard of is 4-5 days....that's the absolute shortest amount of suffering. They've been canceling schools and everything. So I agree that u should go to a Dr but don't freak out too bad, I don't think its withdrawal. And like Q said...I also had a gall bladder attack with ending in surgery to have it removed and that was some of the symptoms. Honestly though there's so many things that causes symptoms like that, so go to the Dr. And I'm pretty sure u gotta case of this mean flu.

I hope u feel better buddy!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks a lot for the help. I ended up going to the doc and it was severe dehydration from the flu. Pretty wild shit. They had to put two bags of IV fluids in me but i felt so much better after that. That was scary stuff, your mind goes to crazy places sometimes...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tkilzee

I am so glad you went to the doctor! Dehydration is nothing to fool around with. So now you should probably rest, drink a lot of water and be grateful you got to the doctor when you did.

Thank you so much for posting an update!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:03 am 

I hear ya!

Whenever I'm really sick or my son is really sick in the middle of the night I have majorly unrealistic fears that it is something horrible! I mean, you felt horrible enough to think the worst anyway! But for me, there's something about being awoken in the night and being sick that always lends itself to my worst fears!

I'm glad that it was just a stomach bug! Being dehydrated just perpetuates those awful symptoms! I hope you're fully on the mend!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wanted to say something about this stomach flu going around. It is brutal and lasted a week for me. I'm not even on any kind of opiates and I thought it felt just like withdrawals. Actually, it felt a lot like "cotton fever" too, but that was because I had a really high fever as well. Anyway, you're not crazy. Have you passed it to anyone? This bug is really contagious and will spread. If no one else that you know gets it, maybe it is something else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:12 pm 

Just wanted to say I have been so sick the last several days and I swear even though I read and commented on this thread, I started thinking "wow this does feel like withdrawal.....what if something has happened and my strips aren't working!!) Lol I guess once u have the pleasure of experiencing withdrawal, everything reminds u of it and has similar symptoms of it. Honestly I don't get sick often so this one has threw me for a loop.

Anyway just wanted u to know u weren't alone, even though I knew better that I didn't have withdrawals, the thought still creeped in there at first :)