It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone-

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm sure no one remembers me because its been that long. I have an issue with edema of the legs/ankles/ and now all of a sudden my right hand.

I have been on subutex for three years. I was allergic to the nalaxone and needed to be on pure bupernorphine. I haven't had any side effects that I can recall except for feeling in a fog, which eventually went away and I feel totally normal. All of a sudden a few months ago, my feet, ankles, and calves became very swollen. At the time I was also taking lyrica and respiredol. My doctor immediately stopped the lyrica and the swelling went away. The lyrica has been out of my system for at least a ten months now. All of a sudden around September I noticed the swelling coming back. Not as intense, but enough that I have pitting in my calves and my right ankle is in a constant balloon state on the left side. Now I feel like my right hand is beginning to swell. I know its either the respiredol or the subutex. I'm currently tapering down on the respiredol and I'm going to stop it to see if the swelling goes away. But is it possible to develop edema two years later after starting the subutex?

I just feel at a loss here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well, welcome back BOB 8)

I definitely remember seeing some of your posts, over time.....
I'm sorry that the side effects is what has brought you back, though!!!!
that's got to be NO FUN.... the ONLY experience I've had with edema is
when I was pregnant..... that's no fun, either!!
Anyways,,,,
here's something interesting I found........

4.Lower leg edema is not uncommon in patients taking buprenorphine. It seems that switching from the buprenorphine-naloxone combination to buprenorphine monotherapy decreases this side effect; however, in other patients the exact opposite works. The addition of ultra-low doses of naltrexone to buprenorphine formulations (including Suboxone) helps to resolve lower leg edema.

it says also,,,
For more information, you can e-mail Dr. Arbuck at darbuck@meridianhealthgroup.com, phone him at 317-814-1000, or visit his clinic website at: www.meridianhealthgroup.com.

LINK to this page
http://updates.pain-topics.org/2011/04/ ... ronic.html

There's also Dr. Junig's post about leg edema/suboxone, here (you've probably read it though?)

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/leg-ede ... -suboxone/

QUOTE~~~
On Dec, 19, 2012: 6,484 people reported to have side effects when taking Suboxone. Among them, 268 people (4.13%) have Peripheral Edema.
This page just has the 'results' from the study, but it might be good to show your doctor.....
Link for above study---
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/suboxone/peripheral+edema

I wish I could give you an answer to make it GO AWAY, forever!!! but it's not in my bag of tricks.......

i do hope THIS information helps in some way.....

don't forget about us, okay??

IF you DO indeed find a solution, don't forget to update us, too!!!!

good luck , withe everything!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Bob and welcome back,

Yeah I would definitely talk to your doctor about this. Other things like heart problems can cause edema......I dont know how old you are or your other medical history but I would talk to your doctor.

It does seem like people come here and say sub has.caused swelling though. I have not personally had that problem though. I hope you can figure this out. Im sure its no fun!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 am 

Bob, have you ever looked into manual lymph drainage? It's a massage technique that can be effective for peripheral edema. I remember learning about it when I was in massage therapy school, although I don't have any first hand information. Perhaps you could google it and find out if there are any massage therapists in your area who specialize. It's a very gentle therapy.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. New update today. My right hand isn't swollen after all. BUT, my left arm is. I'm not sure if its because I slept on it funny or if its the subutex, but either way I'm freaked out. I think its time to finally slowly make my way off of the subutex. I did speak to my doctor yesterday and he said its most likely the subutex causing it. I just sent him a text asking if there is any way to combat the swelling, so hopefully he has an answer.

If I do end up tapering off, I'm going to need to come up with a plan because the subutex tabs are completely different from the suboxone tabs and sheets. I'm going to post in the tapering section now. I'll see some of you over there.

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for the answers! It's so great to have support and I will be more active in this forum in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bup causes edema in my ankles and feet. It seemed to start up when I started taking it on a regular basis.

When I first noticed this, I was buying my suboxone on the black market from a friend, and it wasn't always dependable.

When I would go a week without the subs, the swelling would vanish.

It would come back in a day or two as soon as I began taking them.

I've now been on them over 3 years, and my ankles and feet have been swollen the entire time. Recently it's starting to really concern me, in fact it's funny I saw this post because the last 4 months have culminated into me getting ready to go to the ER tonight or call my doctor in the morning. I am hoping it's not related to the subs, but I think it's probably time I get fully prepared to stop them.

About 4 months ago I had chest pain, which felt almost like a wet mass in my right lung. It would come and go, but then for a few days the pains were sharper and while I was driving, my posture caused me to experience pain when inhaling to the point I almost had to pull the car over. I was terrified I had a blood clot, so I went to the ER.

I was told it was just bronchitis after he listened to my chest and prescribed antibiotics. When I told him about the edema and the suboxone I got the sense he regarded me in a negative light and his behavior became cold and he barely listened to my concerns with a very dismissive and attitude that frankly seemed like I annoyed him.

After a week or so, the pain was gone. But I began to notice a strange little silent wheezing sensation when every inhale and exhale I took, even the tiniest intake or exhale would trigger the sensation.

I also felt like I kept tearing a tendon over my right kidney, and I could almost feel the vibration there when I was in bed breathing and reclined. I rarely could produce any congestion or sputum, so it was very frustrating. In the morning I would hack up thick white sputum, but only when i first woke up and cleared the night's worth of congestion.

Over the next few months, the silent wheeze never went away, and I got a flare up of the bronchitis and chest pain a few times for a few days whenever it seemed I got exposed to super cold air.

Now over the last few weeks I got almost completely better with no wheeze for up to 3-4 days, but now I've started to get fluid in my lungs after eating or drinking it seems, which has started to really freak me out. I've been worried about any number of things, but I kept hoping it was just recurring bronchitis that would clear up when the weather got warm. But now the congestion is much more like I inhaled spit or something in the way it feels, and I've started to suspect it's fluid, not congestion.

This had me freaking out over cardiac asthma or a tumor, or hopefully pleurisy, but I have panic disorder and anxiety which has had me in a mess trying to decide if this is in my head or not. I can barely sleep lately from the anxiety.

But as of the last week, I am getting pain that comes and goes in my diaphragm and lower ribs, and this tiny feeling of fluid or foam almost, and now I'm getting discomfort in the kidneys as of the last 36 hours that comes and goes for a few seconds or minutes.

Hence my decision to go back to the ER tonight or in the morning.

With the edema I've had for years, I worry this has damaged my kidneys and it's causing pleural effusion (fluid on lungs).

Anyways, it could always be unrelated kidney issues, I've seen the buprenorphine is one of the opiates doctors prescribe to patients with renal failure or renal issues, but I worry i did this from the edema/subs from multiple years of swollen ankles taxing my kidneys.

Probably far too much information and I don't want to scare you, I had edema for many years as I've said with no issues until now. But I do know that the subs caused edema in my ankles and while no swelling in my hands, I do get pins and needles a lot over the years on subs from the smallest sustained pressure.

I wonder what effect Buprenorphine is having on my circulatory system a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Virtualoklahoman wrote:

After a week or so, the pain was gone. But I began to notice a strange little silent wheezing sensation when every inhale and exhale I took, even the tiniest intake or exhale would trigger the sensation.

I can't relate to the edema, this has never happened to me but I did develop soft wheezing like you described, I'd say about 3 years into my suboxone treatment. It freaked me out. It was more prevalent when I inhaled then exhaled. I wondered if I had allergies or food caught in my lungs. I went to the doctor but they weren't helpful. It lasted off and on for the rest of sub treatment and now that I've quit, I don't wheeze at all.

Oh and I'm not overweight, I'm relatively young/ active, and have no chronic illnesses. Nor did I ever have bronchitis or anything like that.