It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Story
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is my first time posting. I have been on Suboxone for 9 months for my hydrocodone addiction. I have successfully tapered down to 2 mg a day, but I am having so much trouble getting to 1 mg. I have taken 2 mg every day of this prescription instead of the 1 mg I was supposed to, and I am going to run out early. I will use Kratom to get through the couple of weeks until the next script. I would love to hear from people who have successfully gotten off Sub. I tried to just stop them about 2 months ago and I thought I was going to die. If I had to do it all over again, I would never have started Suboxone treatment, I would have just quit the pills and gotten through it. I did some research, but not enough. My doctor told me that some people come off Sub quite easily, while others just have terrible withdrawal. I am one of the latter group, and I would really like to get some encouragement from people who have actually been successful, rather than reading all the negative stuff and scaring myself half to death! I have a wonderful life, a professional job and a great husband and beautiful son. I wish I had a month to stay in bed and feel miserable, but I just can't do that. Ugh I swear if I ever get through this, I will never touch another opiate as long as I live!!!

Post subject: Re: My Story
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I too am new here and am on day 5 no subs.

There are lots of helpful people here who are very encouraging and have lots of excellent advice.

I'm sorry you are in this situation and I don't have a lot of advice other then it takes time (and I know that's the last thing you want to hear)

Please don't give up and read some of the other posts about tapering they are very helpful!

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi robyn,

Welcome to the forum!!

For many people, going from 2mg of Suboxone to 1mg is simply too big of a step. Once a person gets under the ceiling level of Suboxone (somewhere around 4mg or so), we usually suggest they continue to taper by 10% decrements. The idea is to remove Suboxone from your body almost imperceptible amounts.

That sucks that you're going to have to resort to Kratom to get you through the next two weeks. Is there any way you can call your Suboxone doctor, explain to him/her that the drop to 1mg was a bust and get more Suboxone?

BTW, I'm one of those who had a heck of a time getting off Suboxone, but I did it!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Robyn,

Welcome to the forum! I was able to successfully get off my 2mg dose of sub with very little trouble actually. I began by reducing with very small increments as Romeo suggested, but after a very small reduction or two I just went ahead and reduced to 1.75mg, then 1.50mg, and then went to 1.25mg, 1mg, and then to .75mg, and finally .50mg, but had to have some surgery and was able to stop that way eventually. I had planned to reduce to .25mg and maybe even .125mg before jumping.

Been off a little over 2 months now and doing just fine after experiencing some cravings recently.

I think if you just put a plan together that you think will work for you is the way to go. Just don't get in any big hurry and you should be fine. Taking between 3-10 days between dose reductions also helps tremendously. I would do everything possible NOT to use any of the Kratom if you could. That stuff can quickly turn to into a problem that needs to be tapered from itself in some cases. If you can taper slowly and steady you shouldn't need any Kratom. My opinion anyway.

Please keep us informed and good luck to you Robyn!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Karen,
If you have time can you please explain what Kratom is? Thanks as always!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Leslie19 wrote:
Karen,
If you have time can you please explain what Kratom is? Thanks as always!

Here is an article I got from google that explains it better than I can and pretty well. Basically it's a plant leaf that is highly controversial. It can produce an euphoric affect like a narcotic and works on the same receptors in the brain. It can be chewed or used to make a tea. It can also be abused and addictive to many. It is believed to also have pain-killing qualities.

KRATOM
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... oblem-wptv

Hope this helps,
Karen