It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My story
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there -
I just recently found this site and I am very impressed with all of the information here. My story is similar to many I imagine. I probably have been an addict all of my life. My DOC were pain pills (percocet and norco). Three years ago I injured my back and have had chronic back/pain issues ever since. It was easy to get the drug and I needed more and more. I couldn't stop. I would run out of my script 3 weeks early, battle W/D. Take kratom to mange the W/D and then get a new script. Every time I would get a new prescription I would promise myself it would be different. Of course it wasn't. I found a sub doc 2 weeks ago and I started subs. He has me on 16/mg a day. I haven't changed. I am scared that I am still in active addiction with the subs? Taking more than I should, worried about running out etc. This Dr doesn't do any counseling he just wants to manage the suboxone. I am trying to get into to see an addiction counselor (which I desperately need) but I haven't been able to yet. Has anybody had these problems when starting subs? Any advice on what to do?

Post subject: Re: My story
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's REAL early. Nobody changes in 2 weeks. People who take buprenorphine or methadone to instill remission need to stay in remission for at least a year; stopping before a year almost always leads to relapse.

The first goal for you is 'stabilization'. If your doc can't/won't help, use this forum. There is NO benefit to taking more than 16 mg per day-- and frankly, there is very little benefit to taking more than 4 mg per day. So your first step is to trust the med, and trust the comments here. Take two doses of 8 mg per day--- period. When you think of taking more, distract yourself. Repeat, over and over-- and the desire to take more will go away-- I promise.

If, on the other hand, you take little extra pieces of buprenorphine... or if you take an extra dose when you feel like you 'need' it--- you will get NOTHING from the medication. But you WILL get kicked out of the treatment you are in. So first things first-- get stable on your dose. If you do that (and that is not a hard thing to do), then everything will fall into place.

Stopping opioids, using buprenorphine, is pretty straightforward for anyone who recognizes how crappy things have become. After that step, you need to start thinking about what else is standing in the way of you moving forward. If you are using other drugs, realize that using will get you kicked out from buprenorphine treatment, and you will be back where you started.

But at 2 weeks I'm getting ahead a bit... at this point, focus on following your doc's instructions, and taking the buprenorphine as scheduled. You'll get there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Once your levels are built up, because of the long half life and ceiling, taking more buprenorphine is a WASTE.. Bupe actually antagonizes itself the more you take because it's only a partial agonist.
Taking more buprenorphine is only scratching an itch in your brain. Its like taking a placebo pill over and over because you "think" It helps. This medication has a capacity to destroy your addiction. But you need to reconcile your compulsions to re-dose.
Eventually you will come to the conclusion that only one 4-8 milligram dose per day will stop all withdrawal and cravings. You will hear many experienced people say "less is more" with buprenorphine. This is not a theory.. Its how buprenorphine works! Keep taking your 16 milligram dose as your Dr. Prescribed and eventually you will realize anything beyond 8mg is a waste and unnecessary.
Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:56 am 

Hey Bmartin welcome!

I understand ur concerns but suboxdoc said it perfectly, trust the medicine. Ur going to realize pretty quickly that taking extra sub isn't going to do ya any good and you'd be wasting it. I started on 16mg too and stayed at that dose for over a yr maybe two. But how my clinic works is when ur new u have to go every single week for 3 months. So I was only getting a weeks worth of medicine at a time when I first started taking suboxone and that actually helped me tremendously. Suboxone is different than the pills u were used to taking, it removes the cravings that make u want to use, so if u can keep urself busy and get into a routine, you'll do great. Try not to over think things too much or worry. It took me about a month to fully adjust to sub so it still really early in the process. Just settle into a routine and give urself some relief from the hell u were going through during active addiction.

Good luck :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for the comments and the advice! This is a great site and I get on quite a bit. So I took my 8 mg dose this am and there is no way I can take another dose until I get home tonight. I definitely feel the need for more. Not W/D or cravings per se just an anxiety I feel. Addictive thinking. I am distracting myself with other things and I hope the compulsion to take more will go away soon..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Bmartin & everyone else.
I know I'm a little late posting but is a discussion I need to be evolved in.

Started sub 12mg almost 3 weeks ago & I'm still feeling like crap. I'm so tired, my head always feels foggy & dizzy, I'm nauseous often, I get extremely irritated & moody, no patience, I feel bloated& the worst is I'm still in pain...

I was taking prescribed oxycodone 180mg daily for 8 years orally. I don't think I was necessarily abusing my meds but I was 100% dependant on my meds.

My sub Dr doesn't really say too much during my appts, which sucks, I feel like he rushing me out.
I think I'm on way too much sub. I don't like this foggy heavy feeling YUCK

anyone else gone thru this? If so PLEASE tell me what helps....what is ur thoughts on my dosing? What would be a better dose for me in ur opinion?
I know this IS INDEED A WONDER DRUG/TREATMENT I just can't seem to adjust :-(

Someone plz plz help me
Thank u in advance & stay blessed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Your dose may be too high.
Try cutting down to 8mg a day.
Take 4mg in the am and 4mg in the pm.
See if you notice a difference.
Suboxone is an insanely strong drug.
Too much can cause issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Ghost,
Sense I posted this I did take myself down, 2 to 3mg once a day & having much better results.

I'm still a bit dizzy but nothing like it was in the beginning.
I hope everyone is doing well

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Awesome...
Most people take way to much Suboxone per doctors orders. Great to hear your at a much lower dose and feeling better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bmartin, I hope your getting stable on your dose. I too was prescribed 16 mg. Id did really good at the dose for the first 5 month. After reading here around the forum, I seems to notice that most were cutting their dose, something my Dr. never mentioned. Anyway I too decided to cut back to 12 mgs a day and I'm doing very well at that dose. I used most of my life. But really got into pain meds at age 20 when I was in a terrible accident. 24 yrs of opiate abuse later I'm in awe of the relief Suboxone has give me. No more cravings. Nothing. Like my addiction magically went away. Well I know that if I stop taking the Suboxone that my addiction will still be there, but it's awesome to have this time to work on myself, get my life back on track and set myself some new goals. Buprenorphine, one of the active ingredients in Suboxone strips, is not a cure but it does put addiction in remission. Then it's your choice what you do with that "remission time" I myself am going to get into Smart recovery if I can do it online, if I can't go that rout, I'm defenstely going to do some other meethings and get some tools to help me change the direction my life was headed. I am also thinking about going back to school. But first I have to get my license back. I have to do a lot and now that I have a clear mind, I am ready. I am so grateful that I found out about Suboxone when I did. It truly ended the insanity and everything else that goes along with and addicted lifestyle. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I wish someone would have told me this earlier. I have been thinking I was cured from day 1 and that is not the case from what I understand. I may take a low dose of Suboxone from now own to help control my addiction. Who knows, but I still have a lot of work I want to do to improve my life. Well thanks for listening to me go on and on. I hope you have good luck in your road ahead. Angie