It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My story..
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My name is Karly, I'm 24 years old. On June 13, 2012 I suffered a terrible loss.. My daughter(born January 18, 2011)'s father was shot&murdered in a home invasion/robbery.. My daughter wasnt even 2 years old yet. He never even got to see her first steps.. He was my best friend, soulmate, I guess you could say. We were together for 6&1/2 years. There were times he was not only the only family, but the only person in general I had in this world. Needless to say this is not something you just "get over" or bounce back from. It turned my life totally upside down.. I quickly began drinking&taking pills.. Some point about a little less than a year ago, I IVed heroin for the first time.. It was the first time in over a year I felt no pain, physical or mental (I've also had rhumatoid arthritis since I was in 4th grade, creating sometimes unbearable joint pain). No more anxiety.. In fact I felt nothing at all.. Empty. But it felt better than the pain, so I quickly became addicted to the point I couldnt get out of bed without at least a bag.. Got a second job to support my habit, and it screwed up my life pretty quickly.. I decided after research I wanted to try Suboxone.. I found a guy who I can buy them off of&I have been taking 2-4mgs/day for about a week now. I feel better than I have in almost 2years.. After as much as I was using it is amazing to me that barely any of this little miracle strip completely takes away witgdrawals, urges, restlessness, anxiety, depression.. Not once have I had the desire to go back to my DOC.. Its an empowering&incredible feeling.. At this point, I am looking into getting with a Sub doctor&getting my own script&into counseling and moving towards getting my life back.. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? &perhaps if anyone might know about the laws for this treatment in Illinois? I was told about a month ago that there is no way to get your own script unless you detox for 5 days, go on a wait list, do 30 days of inpatient, THEN get put on ANOTHER wait list to be assessed to see IF I qualify for the state funded Sub program.. And that if you relapse even once on ANY type of anything, not even just opiates, you go back to detox and start the whole process over.. I just don't feel like its possible that's the ONLY way to get on Suboxone.. Seems like too many people would fail, doesn't it? Sorry for the long post :( Hopefully someone will actually read it.. I'd love any kind of feedback..

Post subject: Re: My story..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome! I'm glad you have been free of the obsession to use for a while. Some people lose their appreciation for buprenorphine/Suboxone, but I think it is an incredible medication. The effect never goes away, has not been associated with any significant side effect except for the lowering of testosterone in men (something all opioids do-- and buprenorphine does less than full agonists), and has clearly saved thousands of lives.

My recommendation here is the same as for my own patients-- which is to stay on the medication for at least a few years, until the old life is so far away that you can't imagine going there again. Because of the ceiling effect, tolerance does not increase over time--- so physical withdrawal does NOT 'get worse, the longer you are on it'-- despite what people sometimes write.

I don't get the rules you described in Illinois; maybe they have rules for people who are in treatments paid for by the state (?). But right above you in WI, and in MI, many of the docs who prescribe buprenorphine practice as they do for other illnesses. Doctors have different rules, for when they decide to discharge people--- but there are no rules in Wisconsin that require those rules. For me, I see 'discharge' as a very heavy thing, as it can mean the difference between life and death. I also see addiction as any other illness-- there are periods of recovery and relapse in ANY disease, and I try to work with patients who are struggling, rather than throw them to the curb. There are times I have to discharge people---- people who sell or share their meds, for example--- but even those rules are not 'required' by any law (although they are the 'standard of care' for treating with buprenorphine).

I've had patients who moved to WI, and never heard of the rules you mention-- so if they are true, they must only be for some narrow population of people.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply&advice! Very much appreciated. I am glad I found this site, I've read many of your articles&blogs&forums and watched videos. While I do understand, to an extent, the negative emotions surrounding suboxone.. It is just a medication though. And that is what people need to remember.. It neither has the power to fix or destroy a person without that person's personal choices on how they use the medication and whether they choose to be active and stand firm on the decision to become a recovered addict. It is a life-long struggle, and the stigma surrounding Sub. is, in my opinion, due to either lack of education OR lack of ability to take responsibility for one's own actions&decisions.. I actually, right before Justin passing away, had just began my first year in obtaining an associates degree in arts&science for psychology; but got a bit.. Set back.. Due to stress and too many things to deal with. Psychology is what interests me most in life honestly&I'd love to get back into school for it.. Back to the IL laws: I don't actually think that it is THE LAW you have to jump through all those hoops, now that I know a bit more than I did a month ago.. I am rather under the impression that the nurse I spoke to at the detox center was attempting to prevent me from possibly "switching one drug for another" because she kept insisting that "quite a few people do very well in staying clean after just the 5 day detox" but I know myself.. And I wasnt doing H to get high, or for liesure purposes at all. It was honestly self medication for problems I know very well, just wasnt prepared to deal with I guess.. Thankfully, I didnt mess things up to a "point of no return".. I am young, smart, and I have been through damn near everything lol. I am excited to move forward. I am also, in a weird way, grateful for the experience.. Because I can use it to fuel my goals to learn&find a way to make my experiences a positive thing by helping people in the future.. Sorry again for the long post!! :( I am just very excited&dont have hardly anyone to talk to&relate with on this subject.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 am 

Hey Karma! Welcome to the forum!

I totally agree with what you've written and I think you've got a good future ahead of you. I'm glad that you've done more research and I hope you find a sub doctor soon. There is a website that helps match you with a suboxone treatment provider: https://www.treatmentmatch.org/

I hope that site helps you find a good suboxone provider. Do you know what to look for in a good sub doctor? If you're unsure, it's a great question to ask here. Good luck and let us know how your search goes!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

On that I am not very sure, I haven't ever had any kind of treatment of this sort.. So I don't really know what kind of doctor to look for.. I guess maybe just someone who isn't judgemental, doesn't try to push me into getting off subs before I am ready, and someone who at least somewhat cares about my situation.. Thank you for the support!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just remembered I tried that website the other day&I am pretty sure there aren't any in my area who use that to help patients find them.. I do have a list of sub drs though&I'm gonna start calling tomorrow. I really hope I can get into one of them&they arent all full.. We only have a small handful of doctors in Peoria, IL but then again generally most addicts in this area tend to go the methadone route or are on the state program I mentioned above somewhere&don't go to these dr offices. Fingers crossed I can find an opening lol