It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on your 2 month anniversary!!!!

You are on your way. and....stay on suboxone as long as you want or need to.

i personally have no desire to get off suboxone. I take 8mg a day maintenance and I am happy, my family is great and my job is going great. Its amazing how things fall into place when you are no longer chasing the high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAPPY 2 MONTH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

raudy1975 wrote:
Congrats on your 2 month anniversary!!!!

You are on your way. and....stay on suboxone as long as you want or need to.

i personally have no desire to get off suboxone. I take 8mg a day maintenance and I am happy, my family is great and my job is going great. Its amazing how things fall into place when you are no longer chasing the high.

Man I couldnt tell you how glad I am that you wrote what you just wrote. Thanks a million times over because its exactly how I feel. I mean, people ask me all the time ( wellmeaning mostly) "What about getting off TAHT then?" ...And I tell them, its too early for me to worry about that right now, and if worst came to worst and I had to take a strip a day to feel the way I feel right now, I would gladly take that any day over the alternative. So, with that I try to take the pressure off myself and I just don't worry about it.
So, thanks again, this is the kind of support I was hoping for when I joined here. Only people who have "been through it" really know what its really like.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

scofflaw,

congrats on 2 months... Don't feel you have to give in to the pressure to get off subs too fast.. Educate yourself (like you've clearly been doing) and trust how YOU feel first and foremost before you listen to opinions on the internet.. Once upon a time this place was a support system for people that made a decision about what direction they were going with their recovery- no matter what that direction was... Now it's turned into a version of subsux.. I feel for the people that have side effects on sub- and I have no doubt those issues are real.. But that's medicine- all medicine (even aspirin) will produce undesirable side effects for some, but the vast majority experience little to no side effects..

I think a good time frame on suboxone is around a year.. I come to that opinion based on most dr's I've spoken to about it as well as my personal experience.. Not to get too wordy but I had about a 600 mg per day roxy habit for well over 5-7 years, basically non-stop.. I tried to quit cold turkey constantly... usually only lasting hours... Once i even made it close to 90 days, and a couple other times i managed to string together a few days.. I was still feeling worse every day even after close to 3 months.. Worst experience ever!!! EVERY. SINGLE.TIME.. Then I committed to suboxone and have been clean (including my time on subs) for 16 over months...

I listened to all the naysayers and rushed off subs too quick.. Detoxing off the subs was nothing compared to the roxy's but after I was off the subs for around 4 months cravings came back.. I never gave in to them, but if they would have gotten much worse I'd have gone right back on a low dose of sub...

I've been off everything for over a year now, but if I had to do it all over again I'd have found the lowest dose of sub I could get by on and stayed there for a year.. After a year I'd have begun a nice slow taper.. That's just my experience with it, like I said, everyone's is different..

Congrats on your amazing progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Man! Wooo-Hooooo! Two months!

Wow, I am so proud FOR you! I just have to chime in and agree with NoGroovin'. Don't even worry about thinking about getting off subs yet. You have plenty of time to figure out what is going to work for you still. I can't stress enough how different each persons recovery is, chances are what works for you will be totally different than what works for me. Just focus on staying sober for now. Two months in you are probably still getting adjusted to the medicine. You haven't really had enough time to level off yet. I bet in another month you will feel even better than what you do now, that is when the recovery really starts. IN MY OPINION! Just enjoy your new found freedom and focus on building back your life. You deserve it...

nogroovin wrote:
Once upon a time this place was a support system for people that made a decision about what direction they were going with their recovery- no matter what that direction was... Now it's turned into a version of subsux..

Once again, I agree. But I also think that this place still has a strong core of people who want to help. I think it will be back to what it used to be soon. I am trying to just tune out all the noise for now. LOL.

Again, congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ghorsegirl2 and Nogroovin-

Those words mean an awful lot to me, I couldnt tell you how much. This is why I put up with the noise, internet haters and everything else because I know I'll also find a few good folks who have been down the road, and can sense where another person is in their recovery because they've been there. I love to hear well thought out stories of "If I had it to do over again...." because "all over again" is likely to be where I'm at right now, and I can consider all kinds of perspectives.
At the end of the day, and deep down, I know I'm doing the right thing for right now.

Thanks again

Sccofflaw