It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My son was born on July 12th. I was on 0.5 mg of subutex at the time I was induced. I had tapered down slowly from 2 mg. I had no pregnancy or delivery complications aside from a little excess amniotic fluid. My labor lasted 2.5 hrs and the epidural worked for the most part (no narcotics in it..just straight epidural so I did have some pain) my son weighed almost 7 pounds. Within 24 hrs of his birth he became a little fussy and wanted to be swaddled. He seemed to not like loud noises and squinted when the lights were bright. He Sneezed a bit more than usual but other than that he was indistinguishable from any newborn. The ob nurses rated him with the Finnegan scale, the scale they use to monitor NAS and said he was fine. the pediatrician said the same...that he wasnt really going through NAS. then one nurse on the day we were being discharged (48 hours after he was born) seemed to think he was in terrible shape and claimed the other nurses didn't give him a high enough NAS score. She scared me with talk of seizures and tried to point out all the normal newborn behavior and attribute it to withdrawal (startle reflex, crying, and sneezing) She made it obvious that she didn't agree with the pediatrician sending us home before the usual 72 hr observation time for NAS. We did go home, though, and I watched my son like a hawk checking his temperature every hour and crying whenever he would cry thinking it was withdrawals. About 4 days after being home, when my son finally did seem to become a lot more comfortable and happy, I realized that he Had been suffering through a very mild period of withdrawal. He didn't want to be touched a lot during that time period and he had to be swaddled or he couldn't sleep without startling himself awake with his hands. His symptoms were indistinguishable from colic or just a fussy baby except for the sneezing and the general uneasiness you could tell he felt. It took a few days, but he is doing great now. He shows no signs of ever going through withdrawals. No one in my family, including my live in mother in law, ever even noticed anything was wrong. And no one in the hospital mentioned anything about subutex unless it was just me in the room. I kept him close to me and kept the environment calm and we got through it. Everyone agreed that breast feeding helped! He saw the pediatrician the day after we came home from the hospital, during the time that I think the withdrawals were the worst for him, and the Dr still didn't think he was experiencing NAS. I know in my heart as his Mother and because I have an older daughter that he was experiencing withdrawals but I thank God every day that he didn't have the rough start some babies do whose mothers are on subutex. At 5 weeks old, my son is 9 pounds and growing. He is a happy, healthy boy. My advice is to get your dose as low as you possibly can and ask the nurses after your child is born to keep u informed during the finnegan scoring process. I think my baby would have stayed longer if the pediatrician hadnt cleared him to go home. He may have even been unnecessarily treated with morphine which would have prolonged the process of his withdrawal. Even though I eventually saw that he was feeling bad, the nurse who made such a big deal out of his normal newborn behavior was totally jumping the gun. He hadn't even started to feel bad when she scared me about his symptoms. I think it would be a good idea to talk to a pediatrician before the baby is born about what their parameters are for treating NAS so that you can find one with experience who won't send your baby to the Nicu for sneezing. I also learned that different pediatricians have different ways of dealing with the baby...some let the baby stay with mom in the room while being treated and others send them to children's hospitals to stay in the Nicu for weeks. Find a doctor you trust to know when the baby needs more supportive care and when the baby just needs a few quiet days being held close in Mom and Dads arms. I also think it would be a good idea to visit the hospital u plan to give birth in and ask the nurses how they handle a mom on subutex and how they treat the baby. You may be able to get a feel for how you will be treated during and after labor. Some people are very judgmental and you can usually tell. I was very lucky to be treated like any other Mother by everyone. My sons pediatrician was my pediatrician when I was little so I knew I had a dr I could trust. Good luck to you all. I know many of you have come to this site because you are scared...scared of judgment, social services, and most of all scared of hurting your baby. I was there just a few weeks ago. I promise it will be ok. If ur on subutex and doing it right then you are on the right path. Your choices are hard ones and you are not a bad Mother just because you have a problem with addiction. I am a great Mother and not a trashy person. My children are my world and my drug problem doesn't negate that. It's hard, but you will get through it. If God brings you to it, he will bring u thru it.
Ps I haven't yet had to speak to anyone at social services. They may still come by but that is fine with me as long as they don't mind a few dirty dishes or the fact that I walkabout the house nursing my son! We're managing!
I have read a few posts that say social workers talked to moms on subutex in the hospital but they didn't talk to me. They did visit someone i know when her baby was a couple weeks old but that's a VERY different situation because she tested positive for other drugs when she went into labor. The baby tested negative and was eventually fine but it was just obvious she wasn't a prize winning Mom. Her son is 2 and in foster care now but not because of the subutex.
Ok that's all. Good Luck and God Bless you all and your precious babies! Try not to obsessively google NAS. It doesn't help but i hope my story does.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lilly and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new arrival of your son. I'm so happy to hear that you both are doing well. You have given lots of solid advice and suggestions here that I'm sure others will appreciate at some point.

I'm 33 and have no children, but hope to make an announcement soon! :) And I'm taking Suboxone now, but would switch to Subutex upon pregnancy. I plan on being off the sub completely very soon, but you never know and I could be on it when preggo. I will remember your post here and use it to my advantage.

You take care of yourself and that new son of yours.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good luck to you as well! And thank you for your kind words! I hope everything works out for you to become a Mom!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lilly,

I think it's really great that you took the time to come here and offer comfort to other women who might be going through similar issues. I have 3 kids myself, and although my addiction didn't really take off until my last one was born, I still feel the same stigma attatched to mothers who are addicts.

I often think back to the time when my first child was born and how I struggled to quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't manage to fully quit until I was 7 months along, despite immense pressure from my family and doctor. I can't imagine the extra hell it would be to have to contend with opiate addiction during that time.

I hope you are enjoying your new baby. Those first few months are filled with such joy and love! I'm so happy that your little one is healthy and happy, and it is obvious that he/she is very loved. I wish you all the best!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your kind words! The baby is doing wonderful and hope yours are too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations!!

You sound like a caring Mother and your baby is lucky to have you. I'm glad he's feeling better and now you can relax and enjoy this amazing time. (hugs)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks a lot for sharing. It was truly inspirational and motivational.

link removed by moderator.

Please refrain from including links to outside websites in your posts unless they have been approved by a moderator or specifically relate to the post you are responding to.
Thanks,

Qhorsegal2