It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My story from the start.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello guy's & gal's,im glad to be here,no shit i really am glad to be here.

Im an older fellow who's had quite a few serious injuries over the last 40 years including a broken back,these injuries have left my body racked with extreme pain & long lasting bouts of sciatica which if you've had it you know its straight up maddening to go through.

Anyhow ive been on most pain killers made,i started out being prescribed morphine,then after the pain levels went down some i was prescribed Talwin,i stayed on Talwin for about 2 years,at that point the doctor switched me to Vicoden 7.5 for my pain.

I stayed on Vicoden for about 15 years sometimes taking a dozen 7.5's each day, but on most days i'll take around 8 pills,now fast foward to around 3 years ago,i got another injury to my lower back & this time pretty much no amount of Vicoden's would stop the pain,this is where i started with Oxycontin,i started taking 3 20mg pills a day & over the course of th next year worked myself up to where i am at right now which is taking 4 Vicodens along with 120mg Oxycontin each day,sometimes a little more & sometimes a little less .

Ive struggled with this addiction of mine for around 20 years now & have had a hard time making my mind up if i really want to quit,ive made my mind up that i want off the pain killer merry go round & went to see a Suboxone doctor today & got the ball rolling.

Being that im taking Oxycontin the doctor says im pretty well screwed as far as withdrawls,the doctor reccomended that i stop taking Oxy & fill the void with Vicoden for the next 2 to 3 weeks,supposedly this will allow my system time to use up all the Oxycodone in my system,after im off the Oxycontin for 3 weeks the doctor says i need to stop taking the Vicoden for 48 hours,then i can start taking the Suboxone,does this sound right to you guys ?

The doctor say's i'll be taking the 8mg tablets most likely 3 times a day along with some stuff called "CLONIDINE",that stuff is supposed to help with the withdrawls,i also asked the doctor about smoking medical grade marijuana to help ease the withdrawls,ofcourse the doctor wouldnt reccomend that i smoke pot to help but he also didnt condem that i use weed to help withdrawls so im really hoping it will help make this a little better in some way.

If there is anything you guys can tell me that could help me through this process please do,im not clean right now but i am following the doctors reccomendation to the letter,as i said ive replaced Oxycontin with the Vicoden for now,within the next 3 weeks i'll be on Suboxone,im glad this forum is here because im scared as all hell & i have absolutely nobody in my life to talk to about this but i know i have to stop if i want to live,its been a long road & i want off.

Post subject: On the right track
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too had considerable pain for years and took everything from vicoden to fentanyl patches up to 100mg every 48 hours. I was using the fentanyl at the time I decided to give suboxone a try. The doctor said I had to be in withdrawl at least 72 hours prior to starting suboxone. I lied and only went 48, but believe me I was already sick as a dog. Within 1 hour of taking only 4 mg of suboxone, the majority of sickness was gone. I actually felt pretty good. It's been 3 years now since my last narcotic pain pill. Now walk 1 mile a day (every day) no fail, rain or shine. I've lost 35 pounds and feel pretty good most of the time. I do have to be very careful what I do. No overdoing it, or you're just asking for trouble and pain. But you can have a good life after addiction. I still can't believe how sick I allways felt on the pain pills and ow much better I feel now. I have had two episodes of pain that required going to ER for a shot of demerol or morphine, but even though I was taking 16mg a day of suboxone, the pain was controlled by the shots. So there is really nothing to be scared of. One caution: you may find the desire to take more suboxone than prescribed, but it will only make you feel worse..not better. You should really give it a try. You should also be sure and take plenty of anti-inflammatory and tylenol to take up the slack....good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sickntired, I definitely feel your pain. It is very scary when you are about to stop taking something you've been used to for years so abruptly. It is a sinking feeling deep in the stomach that I know all about.

But, try to think about it with some positivity. Keep an open mind. I'm sure you know how horrible opiate addiction has been, and you have finally gotten up the courage to face it. It'll be a long, difficult journey for you but remember that it is all worth it in the end.

Your doctor's recommendations sound fine, although I am a bit surprised a doctor would advise someone to use Vicoden as a replacement for OxyContin. Either way, it's probably the smartest thing to do as far as making sure all the opiates are out of your system before you take the Suboxone. It'll be a bit rough since your tolerance for Oxy is so high, but when you finally do take the Suboxone, it should melt away anymore withdrawals you will be experiencing from weaning off the Oxy.

As the poster said above, stick to your doctor's regulated dose. It is easy to become as addicted to Suboxone as Vicoden or Oxy, but remember that you are trying to curb this sort of behavior, not indulge it. Vicoden only remains in your system for no less than 24 hours, and by then the Oxy should also have been flushed out as well. Although it is probably safer to wait 48 hours before the Sub, as your doctor said, 24-36 hours should be sufficient.

Good luck and congratulations on your decision to quit opiates.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Your post came down to one GOOD QUESTION...

You said,"Does this sound about right to you guys" or something to that effect.

I say, hell NO! Why in the heck would this Dr. wanna put you through such misery! Trying to give somebody with your background and level of dosage 3 WEEKS to switch to Vicodin, coming from Oxy? I think the Dr. could be a moron!

The beauty of Suboxone is that you can easily transition TO IT (Your induction period) without much of a disruption in your life. I was on 80mg. of Oxy for a couple years and my Dr. started me on Suboxone within 24 hours of my last dose. He said to start, AS SOON AS I FELT THE ONSET OF WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS- I pushed myself pretty hard, cuz I didn't know what to expect- and about 8 hours later I took my dosage of Suboxone. I started feeling "normal" within an hour!

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't think there's a reason to even do the three week vicodin thing. In fact, in my opinion- you are more of a candidate to initially do your induction with Subotex (suboxone without the Naloxone), then gradually switch to Subx. I don't know- The SUBOXDOC needs to chime in here.

But please be reassured- your going to be fine! Your life will improve so much once you're off the pain-pill deal!

Andrew

Post subject: agree, agree, agree
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree whole heartedly that there is absolutely no reason to have any waiting period prior to switching from opiates of any kind to suboxone. Maybe the doctors want you to feel bad so that you will see how quicky you can feel better. I also agree from experience that I would have felt just as good without having to have any detox period prior to starting suboxone. I took 8mg suboxone twice a day for first two years, am currently taking 4mg twice a day (by choice). I don't see any upside to stopping completely, although I probably could if I just decrease the dose very gradually over a month or two. I'm on my third year now with no noted adverse side effects. I've even been off all anti-depressants for 15 months. I do on occassion think I feel some depression, but no more than felt on antidepressants. I have found that on the couple occassions that I have increased my dosage for several days that I felt extremely anxious and agitated. As soon as I cut back to my prescribed dosage it went away and I felt much better. As I stated above I have decreased my dosage to 4mg twice a day and most of the time feel pretty good. I have had absolutely no desire in the three years since taking suboxone to take pain pills...I will never miss the crappy feeling I always felt on opiates. Again this is just my personal experience. I still have some pain, but tylenol and motrin really take most if not almost all of that away...Good luck to you. This is by far the best pain management I've ever had...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That Dr is being foolish it seems. You should go right on the Sub after 12-24 hrs from last dose or when WD's start to set in. I dont see what the point of the Vicodin is really..