It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello! I'm Kayla, and I'm new here. This is my first post, so bare with me. I'll start by telling my story.

I'm 25, have 2 beautiful babes, and happily married for almost 2 years. I've had endometriosis & PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) since I was about 14-15, but wasn't dx'd until the birth of my second child via cesarean. Endometriosis doesn't show up in any tests or ultrasounds, it can only be formally diagnosed by surgery. I was on birth control the majority of my adolescent life, which inhibited the growth of my endo and cysts, therefore I had little pain until I had the mirena IUD removed in late 2012. I luckily got pregnant just 2 months after having it removed, and was diagnosed during my cesarean with endo. After that, I tried BC of all kinds, but couldn't tolerate it. It made me violently ill, so my endo and cysts grew rapidly causing me severe debilitating pain on a daily basis. I lost my medicaid after I gave birth, so when my pain levels got too high, my only option was ER for relief. Not only relief, but I also needed IV fluids each time due to vomiting from the pain and dehydration. I was labeled a drug seeker after a few visits, although I had a diagnosis of a chronic painful condition with no cure. Each day I tried to go without pain meds, I literally couldn't get out of bed the pain was so bad. Everyone, friends, family, etc thought I was exaggerating and faking it for attention and drugs. I had two children to care for, one being an infant, and I couldn't function due to vomiting from the pain without a narcotic painkiller. I tried everything OTC. And lots of it, but nothing helped.

My mother was living with me at the time, fresh out of jail where she detoxes from heroin for 2 months. She had been living in a tent in the woods (literally) so I picked her up after she served her time, and had her stay with me until she could get her life back on track. She ended up breaking her arm, and that's where things went bad. She had an endless supply of Percocets and shared them with me, bc she also suffered from endo and knew how bad I was hurting. After they ran out and she healed up, we enabled each other to go out and but them off e streets, or face telling my husband that we were both addicted to oxy.we planned on tapering ourselves many times, but we all know how that went. It didn't happen.

I ended up depressed, suffering wd's every night, panic attacks, and finally broke down and told my husband my problem. He agreed to support me, and we went to a suboxone clinic and got me started on that. The first week I was down with severe headaches, but the sub doc said it'll get better as I adjust to the medication. For 4 months I had a migraine every single day within an hour after dosing. Facial flushing, breaking out all over my chest and face. Vomiting several times a day. Last night, my oldest child came to me asking why I'm always sick. ALWAYS. and I had had enough. I contacted my sub doc who was out of the country, told him that I cannot take the being sick every day. He sent me to a local ER and spoke with the attending physician, to evaluate me and call him after. After the ER doc made me feel like a complete idiot, and there was no way it could be the suboxone causing my ailments, he said he spoke with my sub doc, and they believe I am allergic to the naloxone, and they agreed to start me on subutex today.

I took my first dose of the subutex 2 hours ago, and no migraine, nausea, nothing. I feel normal.

My question is, if both suboxone and subutex CAN be abused in some way, why didn't my doc just put me on subutex to begin with? I don't understand. If I'm not an IV drug user and never have been, why did he refuse to do it sooner? I haven't and don't plan on abusing either suboxone or subutex. There is no high or euphoric effects for me to try to achieve anyways. Basically, I feel I was forced into my addiction, because no doctor would take me seriously and treat my pain accordingly. I understand I'm young, and eh don't want me dependent on narcotic meds, but if I have a chronic pain issue, that's legit and has been diagnosed, why does it matter if I'm dependent on it? Now I'm just dependent on a legal form of it, that doesn't help my pain nearly as much as the other meds, and I'm treated like a criminal and a liar everywhere I go, simply bc I'm on a maintenance program. Not fair.

So, that's my story. I'm sure someone will have something negative to say, and that's okay. I'm used to it. Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You won't find any negativity here! Many of us have very similar stories to yours regarding our addictions. I hada severe case of endo and ovarian cysts, ultimately leading to a hysterectomy so no judgment from us! Just a big welcome! Unfortunately, many doctors are mistaken or just plain uneducated about the naloxone component of suboxone. Some actually think that is what prevents the patient from getting high on the medication, still others think it causes withdrawal if a person uses illicit opiates while on suboxone. It's mostly misinformation. For some doctors, they rx the name brand films/or other formulation containing naloxone because that's the formulary covered by most insurance companies. Who knows why your doctor didn't rx plain bupe first? It's common though.
Glad to hear that the generic mono product buprenorphine tablets are working well for you. Hope you continue to do well.