It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 pm



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 5
Hey all,

I'm on Day #2 of suboxone and feeling great. I was taking very little oxycodone but for a very long time. Here's my story.

I was released from my ER 2.5 years ago from a Pulminary Embolism event. They gave me Dilaudid to just help me breathe. When I left the hospital, I was given my very first prescription of Oxycodone 5mg to help me with pain in my leg from vericose veins.

After 2 years, the pain in my leg was a lot less, almost non-existent but the fun from my oxy high wasn't. So, about 5 months ago, I wanted to start being high more often. At first it was one pill at night to have some fun and get to sleep, then it was 2 before bedtime, then for a long time it was 4 before bedtime (so 20 mg) with 2 taken 2 hours before bedtime, 1 taken an hour later when the high wore off, then one more taken about 30 mins before bed, so I could be high when I went to sleep. Then it ramped up to having difficulty with my prescription, so I ordered "somewhere else" but they only had 30mg pills. I'd cut those in half, and use the same method with my regular prescription. Anyhoo, I was up to 40-70mg a day before I started my suboxone treatment.

My Suboxone wash-out period:

I was to take my last 5mg oxy Sunday (7-22) at 10am. 12 hours after that I was hurting. Severe nausea and stomach cramps, sweating, tearing, nose running, involuntary movements of my right arm. I couldn't sleep barely at all that night, my arm would spasm, and hit my wife in the back. (Whoops!!)

I went to bed at about 10pm, took .5 mg of Xanax at 1am, and another .5 at 2am (doctor's prescription), and then a Cyclobenzaprine at 2:45am. Which would usually completely knock me out, but they did nothing. I was getting to where I felt like I would vomit my heart out of my mouth, and couldn't sit still at all. I tired going to bed, and my wife ran her fingers up and down my back and arms, which calmed me down oh so much, so I went to sleep. I slept on and off for about an hour at a time, until 8:30am. Each time I'd wake up, she'd give me another rubdown.

My suboxone induction:

I went to my clinic on Monday 7-21 and they gave me the 8/2 strip. 30 minutes later, I still had some symptoms, but I felt a lot better. My stomach wasn't perfect, and I was still a bit restless. I asked her if I should feel perfect and she said "Yes, you should" so they gave me another half strip. Right after the dosage it seemed to kick in (so I don't think I needed the other half strip), and 30 minutes after that I could barely walk and stay awake. I felt like I was drunk. I went home and slept for 3 hours, and I've felt perfect ever since. I went to bed last night at about 9:30pm (still very sleepy) and took a .5mg xanax just in case (the DR said I could), and slept like a baby. The suboxone gives me a little high too. Not as strong as the oxy, but you feel good.

I hope this helps some people, because I was freaking out the night before wondering if the xanax would be ok and not interfere with the withdrawal. You need to go through the withdrawal before the induction. Just stay strong and you'll make it.

-Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Sub and Xanax
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 am
Posts: 2801
Location: Southwest
Welcome pinballpat,

Good to have you with us here on the forum. Your oxy habit sure didn't seem too big but if you can't stop then it's time to seek help. And it sounds like you had a decent induction too. Mine was similar to yours, they gave me too much and I cut down immediately. The doctors really don't know just how strong Suboxone is.

My only concern is you taking the Xanax. I am surprised your Dr. gave it to you because there is a warning about benzos and Sub, not to mix them. As long as your doctor says it's okay then don't worry about it. Just be careful not to exceed the prescribed dose.

Keep on posting and congrats on getting off the crazy train.

_________________
Don't take yourself so damn seriously


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:46 pm
Posts: 461
Location: South Florida
Hi and welcome,

I agree with rule about the xanax. although since you were already tolerant to opiates the Xanax probably won't kill you.

But, when I went on suboxone at 8mg I was able to get to sleep the best of any time in my life. I could just lay down, relax think some happy thoughts and be out. Taking Xanax just in case you can't sleep is dangerous because you do not want to get hooked on it. The withdrawal sucks and can kill you. And it sucks!!! Worst withdrawal. All I'm saying is if you're going to take it, don't take it every day it can very quickly form a habit and at that point it will do nothing for you but take away the anxiety it's absence causes. End rant

Welcome to the forum again, congrats on doing something about your addiction.

-glen b


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 5
Thanks for the quick replies!

I am exhaustingly sleepy again right now. I took my 2nd dose this morning, but I didn't even think I needed it. I asked the doctor just now if I could cut the dosage in half (so 1/2 strip every 24 hours) so I don't sleep the days away. I am to see him in a week, but I wanted to get the answer sooner then that. You guys are saying that you chose to cut back on the suboxone yourselves?

I specifically asked the doctor about the xanax at night just in case, and she said it was ok. Just don't go more then the .5mg tablet that I have already.

Still feeling good though! :)

-Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 5
Hello all. I'm new here. I finally let go of pride & called a Sub dr near me & have an appt tomorrow to start Sub. I've been on & off of Hydrocodone 10/325 (would take 8-12/day) & then found a pain clinic dr that put me on Oxycodone 10/325 (90/mo). I was running out of these in two weeks. This has been going on for a little over 3 yrs now. I haven't had any pills for 3 days now & am barely able to get out of bed let alone care for my 19 mo old son. I'm scared shitless of what's going to happen but at the same time, letting go & coming clean to a dr has given me a little hope. I have felt hopeless for a long time now & am sick, sick, SICK of those damn pills dictating all aspects of my life. It's time. I just pray this works. Please say a prayer for me & my family & if anyone has any helpful comments, they're sure welcome. Thanks.

ps: if I can find my way back to this thread, I'll keep you posted on how tomorrow goes...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 5
Hi Kris1976,

As of the writing of this post, I am assuming you went through your suboxone induction period.

I'm still feeling great, my doctor actually told me to cut my dose in half already, which is nice. I'm still feeling EXTREMELY tired during the day right after I take it, I may switch my dosing to nighttime instead.

I hope things went well for you, let us know how it went. Believe me, it's a very positive thing for the folks that are going through withdrawals, and wanting to vomit their heart out of their mouth, like you and I did. :)

-Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 5
pinballpat wrote:
Hi Kris1976,

As of the writing of this post, I am assuming you went through your suboxone induction period.

I'm still feeling great, my doctor actually told me to cut my dose in half already, which is nice. I'm still feeling EXTREMELY tired during the day right after I take it, I may switch my dosing to nighttime instead.

I hope things went well for you, let us know how it went. Believe me, it's a very positive thing for the folks that are going through withdrawals, and wanting to vomit their heart out of their mouth, like you and I did. :)

-Pat


I was prescribed 4 mg day. I took 2 2mg strips at about 4:30 pm. It hit me kinda hard an hour later. I was feeling much better but woozy. Then, 3 hrs later I developed a horrible headache & nausea. I took 2 Motrins & Zofran for nausea. I'm still a little nauseated & have a dull headache. I think I'm going to take just 1 2mg in the am & the other 2mg in the afternoon. Think this will be ok? Thanks for the replies! Will continue to update!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: 2nd day on Sub
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:22 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 5
Ugh, I couldn't sleep last night & the itching drove me insane! Can I take Benadryl while on Sub (at night b4 bed)? I just took my 2nd dose & this taste is absolutley horrid. I cannot get it out of my mouth & it took a good hr yesterday for it to go away, even eating & drinking couldn't get rid of this awful taste. I opened up the foil pack & smelled them & they smell kinda like an orange but they sure don't taste like one! Makes me nauseated. I hope this gets better...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 5
kris1976 wrote:
pinballpat wrote:
Hi Kris1976,

As of the writing of this post, I am assuming you went through your suboxone induction period.

I'm still feeling great, my doctor actually told me to cut my dose in half already, which is nice. I'm still feeling EXTREMELY tired during the day right after I take it, I may switch my dosing to nighttime instead.

I hope things went well for you, let us know how it went. Believe me, it's a very positive thing for the folks that are going through withdrawals, and wanting to vomit their heart out of their mouth, like you and I did. :)

-Pat


I was prescribed 4 mg day. I took 2 2mg strips at about 4:30 pm. It hit me kinda hard an hour later. I was feeling much better but woozy. Then, 3 hrs later I developed a horrible headache & nausea. I took 2 Motrins & Zofran for nausea. I'm still a little nauseated & have a dull headache. I think I'm going to take just 1 2mg in the am & the other 2mg in the afternoon. Think this will be ok? Thanks for the replies! Will continue to update!


Oops, the headache & nausea actually started 5 hrs after I took this 1st does, not at 5:30 as I stated above~


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 5
I was prescribed the 8/2 strips, does that mean I was prescribed 8mg or 2 mg? I can take two of these a day, but am taking 1/2 strip a day.

Maybe someone with more experience can post, but it actually sounds like the suboxone stops after a period of time and you hit the withdrawals again. The best person to know would be your doctor. Try to find out the "maximum" you can take in a 24 hour period.

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) but after taking a certain amount of suboxone, you don't feel an effect of taking more.

Let us know!!

-Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 5
pinballpat wrote:
I was prescribed the 8/2 strips, does that mean I was prescribed 8mg or 2 mg? I can take two of these a day, but am taking 1/2 strip a day.

Maybe someone with more experience can post, but it actually sounds like the suboxone stops after a period of time and you hit the withdrawals again. The best person to know would be your doctor. Try to find out the "maximum" you can take in a 24 hour period.

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) but after taking a certain amount of suboxone, you don't feel an effect of taking more.

Let us know!!

-Pat


This is what they gave me, you take one 8mg & also the 2mg for a total of 10mg/day! I was confused too & called the pharmasist & this is what he told me but if you're still not sure, I'd call your dr & chk on this~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: CA
pinballpat wrote:
I was prescribed the 8/2 strips, does that mean I was prescribed 8mg or 2 mg? I can take two of these a day, but am taking 1/2 strip a day.

Maybe someone with more experience can post, but it actually sounds like the suboxone stops after a period of time and you hit the withdrawals again. The best person to know would be your doctor. Try to find out the "maximum" you can take in a 24 hour period.

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) but after taking a certain amount of suboxone, you don't feel an effect of taking more.


Hello Pat, and welcome to the forum. When you are prescribed an 8mg strip of sub, you are getting 8mg of buprenorphine and 2mg of naloxone. So you were prescribed 8mg. The naloxone is just an added ingredient to keep patients from injecting their Suboxone, but naloxone is only absorbed, for the most part, in your stomach, when you swallow the extra saliva that builds up in your mouth after the strip melts. There are also 2mg Suboxone strips (and tablets), and these have .5mg of naloxone in them, but these are not the strips that you have.

Many doctors prescribe their patients more than they really need. It is ok if you don't take the entire prescribed dose if a smaller dose is keeping you out of withdrawal, and keeping your cravings away. You might want to discuss this with your doctor at your next visit so he can lower your dose on your prescription, and you won't have to purchase more Suboxone than you need. But some people keep getting the same Rx and just take what they need and keep the rest for a back stock, just in case something happens and they are cut off in the future...such as...if your insurance runs out and you can no longer afford your Rx, or if your doctor wants you to taper off the med before you are ready, etc. It is your choice.

You should not be having any withdrawals while on Suboxone because it does not just stop working after a few hours. Sub has a mean half life of 37 hours, so whatever you take for the day should hold you over until the next day when you dose. If it does not, then you probably aren't taking a big enough dose. But this doesn't sound like the case for you, by the way you described how it made you feel. If you are not having withdrawals or cravings on a lower dose, then you probably don't need any more.

People who take sub for pain are an exception, since sub's pain properties only last around 4-6 hours (and a little longer for some people), so these patients dose multiple times per day. But if you are taking sub for strictly addiction purposes, it is suggested that you only take one dose per day in order to get out of the habit of popping pills whenever you feel like you need something.

As far as not feeling an effect, you are correct, in that you should not be feeling anything after your body gets adjusted to the medicine. For most people, this only takes a few days, but for some, it takes about a week or so. I felt perfectly normal on my 4th day on sub, and I haven't felt anything when dosing since, except for a little bit of extra energy for a while after taking it. But I don't get any "high" feeling anymore.

Kris1976 - Many people get the headache and nausea that you are experiencing when first starting out on sub. I got them really bad about 5 or 6 hours after dosing at first too. It has been suggested by many people on this forum to spit out the extra saliva after the sub has melted, because when you swallow the naloxone, it can make you nauseated and give you headaches. I tried it and it seemed to work. Hopefully this will work for you too!

Keep us updated on how both of you are doing and feel free to ask any more questions. Glad you both found us!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
If you think your dose is too high, it probably is.

IMO it's normal, even preferred for inductees to feel a bit of an opioid "buzz" for a short time (a few days) after they go on Suboxone. It's even aids to break the psychological desire to abuse other opioids and have a chance to settle into a normal routine. The feeling fades after one becomes tolerant.

When it gets too much, or harmful to one's long term recovery, is when that buzz is more like a heavy stoned feeling that leaves you drowsy and euphoric. We all know that feeling. If you keep your dose at that level, eventually you'll end up tolerant to it and much more dependent on Suboxone than you need. It has potential to cause people to associate Suboxone with high and increase the risk of seeing Sub as a drug of abuse.

I gotta say that I'm no doctor. I can say that if I was in your position knowing what I know after experiencing a rising tolerance from maintenance treatment ... I'd reduce my dose to a level just high enough to keep all my cravings at bay, no more. Then I'd present my leftover pills / strips to the doctor next appointment and let them know that the dose they gave was too high and made you feel intoxicated.


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 5
tearj3rker wrote:
If you think your dose is too high, it probably is.

IMO it's normal, even preferred for inductees to feel a bit of an opioid "buzz" for a short time (a few days) after they go on Suboxone. It's even aids to break the psychological desire to abuse other opioids and have a chance to settle into a normal routine. The feeling fades after one becomes tolerant.

When it gets too much, or harmful to one's long term recovery, is when that buzz is more like a heavy stoned feeling that leaves you drowsy and euphoric. We all know that feeling. If you keep your dose at that level, eventually you'll end up tolerant to it and much more dependent on Suboxone than you need. It has potential to cause people to associate Suboxone with high and increase the risk of seeing Sub as a drug of abuse.

I gotta say that I'm no doctor. I can say that if I was in your position knowing what I know after experiencing a rising tolerance from maintenance treatment ... I'd reduce my dose to a level just high enough to keep all my cravings at bay, no more. Then I'd present my leftover pills / strips to the doctor next appointment and let them know that the dose they gave was too high and made you feel intoxicated.


I am now taking 1/2 strip in the am, and 1/2 strip in the pm. I wish I would be only able to take 1/4 strip, but the strip is a bit too brittle to cut into quarters.

Last night I took a half strip of 8/2 at about 10pm, then 1/2 strip of 8/2 in the morning at 9am. I felt perfectly fine in the morning, but usually after 4-6 hours later I would feel nausated. I'd take the suboxone and that would go away. I did a lot of physical labor in my storage unit, and felt very lightheaded, and sleepy. I slept for 2 hours, and now feel fine.
And, just as a reminder, I was prescribed 2 full 8/2 strips, one in the morning, and one in the evening. So I already have a ton left over. I see him again this Wednesday 8-1. I've kept a log with how much I've taken, some of the feelings, and the times.

Thanks so much everyone for all the posts. It has really helped me, it sounds like it's helped Kris1976 also. It's really helped out so much being on these forums.

I'll post again after my appointment and let everyone know what happens.

-Pat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
It's interesting the nausea starts after a few hours, then goes away after you have your Sub.

Are there any other symptoms that come with the nausea? Has nausea been a common symptom of withdrawal for you in the past? (Some people don't experience this symptom as much).

Sub withdrawal I've always found makes me feel lazy and lethargic - moreso than other opioids. When withdrawing from Sub I just want to lie down and do sweet fuck all, even if sleeping is difficult.

The possibility I'm heading at is your dose may be too ..low.. The one way to find out is for one day try and reduce your dose a little bit. If you can cut 1/4 then give it a go. If the problem is worse, then your dose may in fact be too low at 1/2 a 8mg strip..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 565
Location: in front of my laptop
tearj3rker wrote:
It's interesting the nausea starts after a few hours, then goes away after you have your Sub.

Are there any other symptoms that come with the nausea? Has nausea been a common symptom of withdrawal for you in the past? (Some people don't experience this symptom as much).

Sub withdrawal I've always found makes me feel lazy and lethargic - moreso than other opioids. When withdrawing from Sub I just want to lie down and do sweet fuck all, even if sleeping is difficult.

The possibility I'm heading at is your dose may be too ..low.. The one way to find out is for one day try and reduce your dose a little bit. If you can cut 1/4 then give it a go. If the problem is worse, then your dose may in fact be too low at 1/2 a 8mg strip..


Exactly what I was about to type.....LOL

_________________
"All great changes are preceded by chaos."
~Deepak Chopra


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group