It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stopping at .25 mg
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've been on suboxone for almost 3 months (July 12th). Started at 4 mg, after a month I went down to 3mg, and another month to 2 mg; where I am now. I fairly certain that my doc will cut me to 1 mg next when I see him in 2 days. I'm not sure how low he's going to taper me down to. I'd like to jump after going to .25 mg. Does that sound reasonable? I'm tired of these things and am willing to put up with some WD discomfort. I can't see myself cutting the strip into eighths and sixteenths and so forth.

As background, I was an Oxycodone user for a total of about 10 months (for shoulder and back pain) until I realized that I had addiction issues and saw the doc for suboxone.

Thanks guys. You're the best.

Post subject: Re: Stopping at .25 mg
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, .25mg is a fairly good dose to jump from. That was my plan, and when I got to that point I was not in terribly bad discomfort.

I think you will do just fine with that if you are READY to jump. Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I were you, I'd get to .25mg and start skipping days. I think skipping days is key. I'm not there yet. I'm currently at .5 and still trying to stabilize. Felt crummy when I first dropped. I don't think I stayed at .75 long enough. Anyways, my plan is to get down to .25 Daily for a couple weeks. Then go every other day, then every 3 days. It may seem silly but I'm trying like hell to make it a soft landing after I jump. Good luck and keep us posted!

"the only way out is through"

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Uwillbloved wrote:
If I were you, I'd get to .25mg and start skipping days. I think skipping days is key. I'm not there yet. I'm currently at .5 and still trying to stabilize. Felt crummy when I first dropped. I don't think I stayed at .75 long enough. Anyways, my plan is to get down to .25 Daily for a couple weeks. Then go every other day, then every 3 days. It may seem silly but I'm trying like hell to make it a soft landing after I jump. Good luck and keep us posted!

That actually sounds like a good plan. I'll run it by the doc.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is an excellent suggestion. I had considered that as well, but didn't get far enough to try it. I think it would have to make it easier, even if it is just mental. There are a couple people here who have successfully quit using that method.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i jumped from around .5, which i think i had been on a while, and it wasn't easy.

So yeah, i'd say get down to at least .25, and the skipping days idea sounds like it would be helpful too:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Eric, when you say it wasn't easy. What WD symptoms did you have?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey 377194,

Welcome to the forum!!

You mention that you want to get to .25mg, but you also said you can't see yourself cutting the strips into eights or sixteenths. To get an 8mg strip down to .25mg, you would have to cut the strip into thirtyseconds.

When you go to your doctor, you could ask him for the 2mg strips. Cutting the 2mg strips in eights would give you .25mg doses.

I'm just trying to make sure your math is right and that you don't jump off 1/4 (.25) of an 8mg strip which would be 2mg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i'd say the hardest part was the lack of sleep. I had medicines to help with sleep, so it wasn't too bad. But I do think it took a couple months or perhaps a little longer for my sleep to return to normal. Walking everyday seems to help with sleep too.

I also was pretty weak and just felt generally crappy for a while. Had some stomach upset for a while. Honestly it's kind of hard to remember because it was almost 2 years ago now, and I havn't really thought about it in a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Romeo wrote:
Hey 377194,

Welcome to the forum!!

You mention that you want to get to .25mg, but you also said you can't see yourself cutting the strips into eights or sixteenths. To get an 8mg strip down to .25mg, you would have to cut the strip into thirtyseconds.

When you go to your doctor, you could ask him for the 2mg strips. Cutting the 2mg strips in eights would give you .25mg doses.

I'm just trying to make sure your math is right and that you don't jump off 1/4 (.25) of an 8mg strip which would be 2mg.

I have been taking 2mg strips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now that makes sense!! I had assumed you were on the 8mg strip, sorry about that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Romeo wrote:
Now that makes sense!! I had assumed you were on the 8mg strip, sorry about that. :)

No problem. :mrgreen:

I saw the doc tonight and he asked me if I wanted to reduce to 1mg or stay at 2 for another month. I opted to stay put (yeah I know what I wrote above, but I'm a bit hesitant). He said after a month, he would reduce me to 1mg, after a month at 1mg, he's pulling me off. That hit me like a ton of bricks. But I'm going to go with the plan and see how it goes. This doc has an excellent rep. this area. Let's see. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey 377194,

If I were you I would take this time to start reducing and stock pile your extra subs. It's definitely possible to jump at 1mg, but it won't be a walk in the park! If you really want to taper lower then you can go ahead and reduce to 1.5mg for a week or so, then get down to 1mg which would leave you some extra to reduce with after your doctor cuts you off. It seems to be the mind set of alot of docs that you shouldn't have any trouble after 1mg. I don't agree!

It's obviously your choice my friend, just a suggestion.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hey 377194,

If I were you I would take this time to start reducing and stock pile your extra subs. It's definitely possible to jump at 1mg, but it won't be a walk in the park! If you really want to taper lower then you can go ahead and reduce to 1.5mg for a week or so, then get down to 1mg which would leave you some extra to reduce with after your doctor cuts you off. It seems to be the mind set of alot of docs that you shouldn't have any trouble after 1mg. I don't agree!

It's obviously your choice my friend, just a suggestion.

Good luck!

Thank you for your useful suggestion.

Trust me when I say that if I jump at 1mg and I am miserable for more than a few days, the doctor will hear from me. Doctors are certainly not gods and I'll call them out when the f up. I think my doctor is basing his decison on the limited time that I was actually addicted to oxycodone, but who knows. I'm just thinking that 1 mg is a bigger jump than I want to make.