It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

just interested to hear any comparisons in wd between the two?
i jumped at 40mg of methadone and had terrible, frightening wd for about 4-5 days.
please share experiences !!
i am going to jump in dec, maybe sooner if i just continue to feel like crap on 2mg every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am surprised it only lasted 4 or 5 days. My withdrawal from methadone didn't start until day 3. I cd from 50 and it was.by far the worst and longest withdrawal I've been through; however Ive never quit suboxone so I can't give you a comparison. People I know and friends of mine all say methadone was way harder but they were usually down to a much lower dose of suboxone. Most got down to .5 and under before jumping. Just my opinion but I would try to get a little lower first. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:10 pm 
Jenzo, I did a cold turkey detox from 10mg of methadone in a rehab facility. It was horrific. I am on short term, quick tapering of suboxone and now on .125mg. Good lord honey, taper that 2mg down, before you jump. I am sure everyone here will advise you taper lower. 2mg is a hefty amount.

Hugs, Robin

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, 2mg is definitely on the high side to be jumping off from. Not saying you can't do it, there have been several of us who jumped from 2mg or higher, the wd is just harder and it'll last a while longer.

You mentioned how you're feeling like crap, have you considered taking some Clonidine to help you to feel better? Clonidine should knock that "feelin like crap" feeling down a big peg or two. Clonidine is non-addictive, it's a blood pressure med and you have to check with your doctor before taking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi guys!
last night was TERRIBLE-I sucked it up and took 3mgs today. I think i am tapering too fast. I am going to see the doc tomorrow to make a good schedule to come off in Dec. in between classes. I REALLY appreciate your input here. My body is telling me that I need to SLOW DOWN!
The methadone was horrific and felt worse than heroin in many ways. I need to just slow it down and get down to about 1mg before jumping. It will be hard, but you guys all give me such inspiration.
I had the crawly skin and everything last night-and that is from taking 2mg a day!! I would almost rather jump at 2mg than drag it out if I feel that way again while tapering.

thanks again for letting me ramble and ask questions. I do appreciate your experiences and help!!
Im sticking at 3mg every other day with 2mg in between, for a good month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo wrote:
Yeah, 2mg is definitely on the high side to be jumping off from. Not saying you can't do it, there have been several of us who jumped from 2mg or higher, the wd is just harder and it'll last a while longer.

You mentioned how you're feeling like crap, have you considered taking some Clonidine to help you to feel better? Clonidine should knock that "feelin like crap" feeling down a big peg or two. Clonidine is non-addictive, it's a blood pressure med and you have to check with your doctor before taking it.

Hi Romeo!
I have been following some of your posts! Can you send me the link to where your story is of jumping off at 2mg?
I would really love to read it. I already have a place I am going where people (family) are going to take care of me with Neurontin, Trazadone and Klonopin or Valium if I need it, and I can stay there a week while my husband takes care of the little one. We are totally planning a bad wd experience so let me know-I may have to jump at 2mg since my body rejects it below that mark!!!
Thank you!!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't quit either one, but I can tell you the general consensus is that methadone w/d is pretty much worse than other full agonist w/d (oxy, vics, etc), and suboxone is usually not as bad as w/d from those...BUT, sub w/d is generally more dragged out. The w/d symptoms from sub may be less uncomfortable, but they do tend to last longer - at least that's what most people say who have done it. Now, what I'm referring to are the ACUTE withdrawals. The next thing one might have to contend with are the post acute w/d (PAWS). Not everyone experiences it, but many do. The idea of doing a longer, slower taper is to not only lessen the acute withdrawals, but also to lessen the chances of having PAWS, too. If you're not familiar with PAWS, just Google it. Some people have actually experienced such bad PAWS that they ended up back on suboxone, so give that longer taper some more thought and/or do some more research. Knowledge is power. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've jumped off methadone at 70mg, and off Suboxone doses over 6mg 2 or 3 times.

Methadone withdrawal was incredibly dragged out. The main period of withdrawal lasted just over a month, and honestly I was getting "waves" of withdrawal slowly easing over 6 months! Months afterwards outta nowhere I'd just break into a sweat and get the chills. Not fun. That being said, it was a kinda straight-forward withdrawal, mainly physical. I was quite young though and could withstand withdrawal a lot better back then!

Suboxone withdrawal lasted on average 14 days after jumping off 6-8mg, and at its worst I would argue was more intense than the methadone. That was mainly because of the emotional feel. It had a real "fearsome" feel to it, more of a cold anxiety than the methadone. The worst night of the Subox was harder than the methadone w/d, but overall methadone was much more taxing because it lingered for months. After 14 days I felt like I was genuinely over it, and the only lingering effects were the occasional night sweat and sweating heaps more during exercise for a couple of weeks after.

My withdrawals are fairly predictable with these drugs. Overall, I'd choose jumping off a high dose of Suboxone than Methadone. But now I like to think I have the maturity to do a proper taper! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tear3jerker, your post is very interesting. It reminds me of a guy who was on this forum for a short time who had major medical problems and said he had detoxed off of various opiates and Suboxone several times. One thing I remember him saying was that after the first time with Suboxone, it was the emotional, not physical, withdrawals that were the worst. I went off Sub briefly at 2mg and I almost can't recall the physical symptoms, but the crushing depression was so bad that I had to go back on. I'm on 2mg now and I'm doing prettty well, but yesterday, right in the middle of making supper, I had this moment of raw fear and despair. It only lasted a minute, but it was so awful that I'm thinking if that is what going off of Sub is going to be like I'm not gonna be able to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenzo,

I see you're relatively new to the forum and I don't know as anyone has welcomed you yet, so, Welcome to the Forum!!

As far as my story of jumping off of Suboxone, I don't remember where I posted them. I don't think I've ever done the whole introduction, Hello my name is Romeo and here's my story kinda thing?? I've related parts of my story several times in replies to others posts, but don't remember where they might be? I guess I burned more brain cells in my drug using days than I thought?? :wink:

Anyway, I jumped off of Suboxone around 5mg or so. My actual blood concentrations were probably much higher than 5mg though because I basically tapered from 12mg or so to 5mg over the course of a week or two then jumped. I know, that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done in my life!! :lol:

I quit Suboxone on June 4th/2010 and it was a rough ride. I find myself very hesitant to post the details of my wd because I know now that my wd off of Suboxone was not a "typical" wd off of Suboxone. My wd was particularly brutal for some dang reason and I'd rather not scare the shit out of everyone who wants to get off of Suboxone, know what I mean?

If you REALLY want to read my story, send me a PM and I'll PM my story back to you.

I like the plan you have of going where your family is going to take care of you, that's a great idea. The meds you mention sound right, but you're definitely going to want to add Clonidine to that list. Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that is prescribed off label for opiate wd. It's one of the best meds you can take for opiate wd. You really need to get your doctor to check you blood pressure first, then have him write you a script if you're OK.

You see, during wd your Sympathetic Nervous System will pretty much go nuts. Clonidine calms the Sympathetic Nervous System and makes wd much more tolerable.

I understand why you don't/can't get below 2mg. I've actually seen a few people now who experience the same thing and it saddens me because your wd will be worse than someone who can taper all the way down to an extremely low dose, but there's also not too much y'all can do about it? You can certainly make it through a jump from 2mg, it's gonna be a little rougher, but you can do it.

Like many have said, Suboxone wd is usually not as intense as regular opiate wd, but it sure does seem to drag on for a good while.

Keep posting any questions you have, having unanswered questions leads to fear and fear is the last thing you need before wd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well I can’t tell you about meth WD but I did go through suboxone WD 3 times 2 when I got real sick and stopped taking my meds and then the 3rd time when I was getting ready to start methadone, and it was a living hell and it if I didn’t know I was about to start methadone the last time I can’t even imagine how much worst the mental aspect would have been. But the sub WD was all over the place which I hated so much because one hour I would fell just fine than the next I thought I was dying. The symptoms I had were terrible insomnia, real bad stomach aces, joint pain on top of my already serious pain issues, one minute I was hot the next I was freezing, I would get panic attacks, really bad headaches, one day I feel like I can’t stop peeing the next I can’t stop shitting this drug did a number on my mental health when I was dope sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
I've jumped off methadone at 70mg, and off Suboxone doses over 6mg 2 or 3 times.

Methadone withdrawal was incredibly dragged out. The main period of withdrawal lasted just over a month, and honestly I was getting "waves" of withdrawal slowly easing over 6 months! Months afterwards outta nowhere I'd just break into a sweat and get the chills. Not fun. That being said, it was a kinda straight-forward withdrawal, mainly physical. I was quite young though and could withstand withdrawal a lot better back then!

Suboxone withdrawal lasted on average 14 days after jumping off 6-8mg, and at its worst I would argue was more intense than the methadone. That was mainly because of the emotional feel. It had a real "fearsome" feel to it, more of a cold anxiety than the methadone. The worst night of the Subox was harder than the methadone w/d, but overall methadone was much more taxing because it lingered for months. After 14 days I felt like I was genuinely over it, and the only lingering effects were the occasional night sweat and sweating heaps more during exercise for a couple of weeks after.

My withdrawals are fairly predictable with these drugs. Overall, I'd choose jumping off a high dose of Suboxone than Methadone. But now I like to think I have the maturity to do a proper taper! Good luck!

Thanks! I feel more anxiety with Subs too. I literally had full blown wd last night at 2mg in the AM. I am thinking the info about the half life cutting back the lower you go is totally true now. I experienced it!! I took 3mg today. Seeing the doc tomorrow to plan a taper to about 1mg by Dec then jumping. Methadone was horrific with the skin crawling and insomnia and nightmares in between. It lasted a good 4-5 days at the peak, then lingered with small side effects for about 4 weeks. If Subs last HALF that time, then I am ok!!! Methadone was truly scary. At least on Subs I can eat and stuff even though im tapering. tapering on Methadone was impossible. I just got sick every day so I just quit!

Thanks for your input everyone! I love hearing stories and it gives me strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am getting clonodine for the tapering and after effects. I also have scripts for Valium and Klonopin, Neurontin (which was a miracle during methadone wd) and trazadone and ambien. Of course im not mixing these, my psych and doctor are going to chat about the best mix and Ill be taken care of by my family for a week.
I really dont wanna leave my daughter but she will be just fine. I cant stand the thought of her seeing me sick!!!
Have any of you used any benzos for the wd? What about sleep aids like ambien? I know we are all addicts so it typically not prescribed, but for some reason I dont and never have abused anything but hard core drugs. It is a shame thing. I was more addicted to SHAME than drugs. Whatever made me feel ashamed the most.. you know? I have a great therapist and marriage counseling, and SMART recovery group here. I am happy to say that I have finally started facing all my "shit" and it's been amazingly transforming this year.

Okay I am rambling.
If anyone has used Ambien or Benzos for Wd-How was your experience??
Thanks all!
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I jumped off methadone at 30 mg and ended upp in the hospital for two weeks not being able to hold food down.... sub withdrawal was a walk in the park for me compared to the methadone.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I jumped off subs at .25 mg, and I had clonidine and klonapin and honestly the klonapin for me made me feel worse so I stuck with the clonadine.. but thats just me it may help other people for me it didnt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I ment to add I did have ambien and it helped ALOT with sleeping ...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mg113 wrote:
I ment to add I did have ambien and it helped ALOT with sleeping ...............

Great thanks!!
I felt so bad on methadone. I am only going to be able to get to 1mg or so. I think that mind over matter, and with all my help, I will be ok. Perspective is key!!!
I will soak in hot baths and literally type on this website all night if I have to!!!!!!!
i will keep yall updated on my progress. So far, getting to 2 is really hard. After a while , I get sick.
I have ambien and am going to take it for sure.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jenzo,

You can start taking some Clonidine now, even though you're not off of Suboxone yet. You do not have to wait until you're off of Suboxone to take Clonidine. It'll help with your wd symptoms that you're inevitably gonna get while you taper.

If it were me, I'd take the Clonidine long enough to help wipe out the worst of the wd symptoms as I dropped my dose, then I would stop the Clonidine and stabilize at the new dose of Suboxone for a bit, then rinse and repeat.

Do you mind if I ask what your plans are for staying off of opiates? Getting off of opiates is one thing, staying off of them is another. I made it 10 months off of Suboxone before I fell flat on my face and slipped up for a few days, I ended up dragging my butt to NA and it's helping me a lot. There's SMART recovery too, individual counseling......just something to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes Hot baths and long walks for if your are into working out help ALOT. I also took nyquil once or twice since the wd kind of felt like flu symptoms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ill walk and do some hot yoga after i get through the rough part.
I do go to therapy once a week, as well as marriage counseling-just to help with the past issues and move forward with the present! I also have SMART here and prefer it over NA.

For me, the hardest part will be coming off, not really staying off. Staying off will be much easier now that i am living an honest life and honoring all of my SHIT through therapy!!
I did not do the work last time I quit-just quit.

I am not really into the whole taper thing. I will taper down as much as possible, but after a week of staying on 2mg, I actually got worse. I am not sure what to say about that. I am doing 3mg one day, 2mg the next, for now. I will try to stab. on 2mg when I get the 2mg films!

Thanks so much for the input!