It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stopping Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Seems to be many new people coming in wanting off Subs. I thought I would write this note as it is cathartic for me and helps me to get through my taper process knowing that I may be helping someone else :)

1) Do not taper quickly. It's the number one rule...especially when you reach 6 mgs. The point here is to taper successfully with minimal withdrawal...this is not "How fast can I get off Suboxone?" I found this out the hard way...I went from 24 mgs/day to 6 mgs/day in one months time. I am currently in a moderate state of withdrawal (mostly depression in nature). I should have tapered more slowly from 8 mg to 6 mgs. I didn't, but w/d is not bad enough for me to take more so I'm going to tough it out. I've learned a very valuable lesson though that I'd like to pass on. I will definitely be staying at 6 mgs longer than I'd planned.

2) Stabilize at one dose before beginning another drop....crucial! Stay at one dosage long enough to feel completely normal there...if it takes a month, so be it. Remember, this is not a race but a road to success.

3) Have someone to talk to that knows what you are doing. If you do not have anyone that you trust....heck, maybe you've alienated every friend in the world during your addiction. Then find a good board (such as this one) or attend AA or NA meetings. A board like this is great...post all you want and if people get tired of reading your posts...so what? It's still good therapy for YOU :) I promise you will re-read your older posts and be amazed at how far you've come.

4) Take it one day at a time. You must. Don't think about how much longer you've got to feel like poop. It's not productive to your taper. Revel in today...think about how you are making it TODAY...think about where you are TODAY vs. 6 months ago, 1 yr. ago, 2 yrs. ago and be thankful you've arrived at the place where you feel you can do this.

5) Give back. Nothing in the world makes us feel better during a time of great healing than to pay it forward. You've been through a lot...you've learned a lot about human nature, suffering and determination. There are those out there who need your gifts. Give it to them.

6) Help your brain make it's own dope :) Get out, walk your dog, walk yourself, walk the neighbor's dog :) Watch funny movies and laugh (releases feel good chemicals), ask people to tell you jokes, do anything that makes you smile. Watch a sunset...cry at how beautiful it is :) Oh, crying is ok (guys too). Tears release chemicals that make us feel better too...it's why God made us that way...emotional people who are not afraid to feel.

7) Last rule and very important....we're curious and we want to browse the internet and read every single story we can find about folks getting off Subs. Those stories are kind of like horror movies...I don't watch them (even though my sons love them) because I just don't want that stuff in my brain. That movie that keeps getting reviewed all over the internet called "The Horrors of Suboxone Addiction" and its sequal "The Horrifying Horrors of Suboxone Withdrawal" along with the remake of "The Absolute Worst Withdrawal from Suboxone in the Whole Wide World" are not good movies for you. The reviews are awful. This is one time you should listen to critics and stay away from that theater :)
Make your own movie and make it a good one.

My best to all for a great day,
Aqua

Post subject: Love it!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Everything you wrote was spot on in my journey! I have the best support system in my day to day life, however adding this group has made all the difference! It's always an added bonus to surround yourself with people on the same journey because it gives you all the "right" reasons why you are doing what you are doing!!
Being kind to yourself and learning patience are two very crucial elements. I tend to beat myself up about things that in the long run won't matter, and I'm still learning to stop doing that. We don't have NA where I am, but AA has been great. I now attend on a monthly basis but can always do more when I need it and have more time away from home or work. There are great support systems out there you just have to look for them sometimes!
Thank you so much Clear Aqua for your insight, it's very much appreciated!!
Big giant hugs!

- Joseph Campbell