It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stopping Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I have been on suboxone for about 3 years now and i am really looking to get done with it. I started on 12mg daily and right now i take 2-3mg daily. My husband and i want to move away so he can go to school and find a better job but our suboxone use is really the only thing keeping us. I do not want to move and try to find a new doctor and suboxone is just not something i want to worry about. Where i live suboxone doctors are scarce and i have to drive 2hrs away every month just to see mine. This time next year we want to be suboxone free so we can move and start a better life.
I know this is the main goal of every one on suboxone and i am sure every one asks what they can do to get off suboxone. My husband has thought about just stopping but i know if i do that i will go through nasty withdraw which i can not do. We have an 8 month old that takes a lot of care and i cant be taking care of him and be extremely sick but i don't have another 3 years to try and stop these last few mgs.
I was just wondering what all we could do to get off suboxone in the next year! Any suggestions will help i am pretty much up to try anything.

Post subject: Re: Stopping Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi!

I have been through both the long, drawn-out taper, and the quick jump so I can give you insight on both methods. With my taper, I went about a year consistently lowering my dose until I was literally taking nothing. I believe I tapered from ~4mg/day down to .03mg/day in that year. There were pros and cons to this method. I was able to get so low that I had literally no withdrawal when I stopped completely, but I did experience minor withdrawal all throughout the taper, especially when i would reduce the dose. So with this method, I avoided any major withdrawal but did experience a very long phase of subtle withdrawal. I also experienced an entire year of mental obsession about dosing; how much to take, when to take it, am i feeling sick? etc. That daily obsession about suboxone drove me nuts and was much worse than any withdrawal.

The second time I came off suboxone, I jumped at about 2 or 3 mgs/day. I was in a hospital and they forced me to jump at no lower than 2mgs. I was given plenty of comfort meds-clonodine, trazadone, vistiril, tylanol- and was surrounded by other addicts who helped me get through the withdrawal. It was surprisingly easy and I only had a couple of days of discomfort. I look back at that detox as pretty easy, especially compared to the long taper I had done previously.

My opinion is, if you can deal with a few days of discomfort(nothing too terrible), then definitely try to taper down to 1-2mgs and jump. Don't spend too much time tapering very low because it just makes the whole living hell last longer. If I had to do it again I would definitely taper to 1 or 2 mgs and jump.